leveling kit or toresion bar adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question leveling kit or toresion bar adjustment

I have a 2001 F150 4x4 Supercrew and would like to level the front to match the rear. Is there a leveling kit available for this or can i adjust my toresion bars, i only need about 2" lift in the front.

Old 03-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Thumbs up Crank em!

You have to crank up the torsion bars to lift the front of a 4x4. I did mine and raised the front about 1" which looked about right to me. I don't know if you can get 2" of lift by cranking the bars though. Hope this helps.

Bob

Old 03-29-2002, 08:30 AM
Thumbs up

thanks for the info, how do i go about "cranking up" the torsion bars...? whats the procedure for this...? by the way...nice looking truck you have there....

Old 03-29-2002, 09:20 AM
Thumbs up Thanks man!

Cranky the bars is very easy. Just make sure that the truck is on level ground. Measure the distance from the center of your wheel to the fender lip. Find the adjustment bolt which is in the cross member were the bars end, and turn it about 1 turn. Bounce the front of the truck to get it to settle a little bit and then measure again on the side you adjusted. Do the same on the other side until your even. Repeat the whole procedure until you're up to the height you want and even on both sides. I think with mine, I went up 5 turns on each side. Oh by the way, it's an 18MM socket for the adjustment bolts. The picture in my sig was taken before I cranked them so don't go by that. Good luck and have fun.

Bob

Old 03-29-2002, 01:31 PM
Thumbs up

Hey, thanks again..! now i have a new week end project..!
i guess i should also ask...will i have to have the front end
re-aligned...?

Old 03-29-2002, 05:43 PM
I haven't yet. Some people say they need it right away but my truck doesn't pull so I'm going to wait until it gets a little warmer and take it in for an alignment. It's due for one soon anyway. By the way, the whole job of cranking up the torsion bars should take you less than an hour to do. It's pretty simple.

Bob

Old 04-01-2002, 07:51 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks again, you were right, it only took about 30 mins and it was an 18mm socket. I cranked about 6 turns on each bolt and it leveled it out just perfect. Although i still had to put a 1" spacer between the bumper and frame where it bolts on to give me enough clearance for my BF Goodrich A/T's. But without cranking, the wheels and tires wouldn't have worked. I would post a pic for you if I knew how, anyway, thanks again for your help.

Old 04-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Smile

Cranked my bars 6 turns each side for +7/8" lift at 1500 miles - checked alignment myself and within spec. Truck has 22k miles now with no tire wear issues and sits nice and level!

Quick Reply: leveling kit or toresion bar adjustment