Add a leaf? Lift or level kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add a leaf? Lift or level kit?

Hi. I just bought this truck and I'm looking to put new wheels and tires on it. I don't want to break the bank right off the bat so I was going to start with the lift first and get wheels later.
I'm looking for an affordable but quality way of lifting my truck. I was looking into starting with an add a leaf because I like the idea of the extra load carrying capacity I will get plus the 2" they say I could get.
I guess I'm wondering, could I do the add a leaf plus a 1" block or so together?
I would have to measure what I would need for the front, but does anyone have any suggestions for that?
I'm not sure which wheels and tires to get. 35's on 20" rims? 18" rims? 33's?
I really can't decide and am new to lifting a truck and would really appreciate suggestions. I usually work on my own cars and trucks. This would be another thing I might try and tackle or should I leave it to the pros? I live in Chicago and don't really know where to take it.
Basically, I want to start ordering parts and get started. I can do it a little at a time on the weekends. Can anyone help

Old 08-16-2015, 04:37 PM

My truck now

Old 08-16-2015, 04:41 PM

Looking to achieve a look similar to this. Maybe a bit higher.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Any suggestions??

Old 08-16-2015, 05:36 PM
We need to know more information, before we start throwing out suggestions.

What year is your truck?
Are you 4x4 or 4x2?
Do you want the truck to sit level or do you want to maintain the factory rake?
Whats your budget?

The only real things that can be answered right now is rim diameter is all personal preference. It won't have any effect on tire clearance. And for the install, it really just depends on how mechanically inclined you are and if you have both the proper tools and the time. A lot of offroad shops will cut a deal on labor costs if you buy the parts through them as well, so that's something to consider too.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Sorry. I tried to post a picture. I don't know what happened. It's a 4x4 2009 f150 xlt. I'm looking to eliminate the rake an figure out whether I just need a level kit or can possibly use something like the rancho quick lift along with the add a leaf for the back? Or something different all together.
As far as budget, I don't really know. I always have money coming in but don't really want to shell out a couple grand right off the bat on the lift alone.
Is there anything I can do for around five hundred? I can add new shocks later and wheels and tires. Just want to start the project and be able to drive it at the same time.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
We need to know more information, before we start throwing out suggestions.

What year is your truck?
Are you 4x4 or 4x2?
Do you want the truck to sit level or do you want to maintain the factory rake?
Whats your budget?

The only real things that can be answered right now is rim diameter is all personal preference. It won't have any effect on tire clearance. And for the install, it really just depends on how mechanically inclined you are and if you have both the proper tools and the time. A lot of offroad shops will cut a deal on labor costs if you buy the parts through them as well, so that's something to consider too.

Sorry, I tried posting pictures but I don't know what happened. You can see a picture in my profile. It's a 2009 f150 xlt 4x4.
My budget just depends. I can't shell out thousands right off the bat. But I want something decent

Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll reiterate.

Do you want it to sit level or have some factory rake?

Old 08-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I'll reiterate.

Do you want it to sit level or have some factory rake?
I definitely want it to sit level.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by brimc
I definitely want it to sit level.
Your truck is already two inches higher in the rear than if the front stock. If you install an add a leaf, that'll raise the rear another 4" giving you 4" of rake, which it sounds like that's not what you want.

If you want a cheap and easy way to level the truck, get 2" spacer that mounts on top of the front coilovers. They're cheap, easy to install and will level your truck alowing you to increase tire size.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Your truck is already two inches higher in the rear than if the front stock. If you install an add a leaf, that'll raise the rear another 4" giving you 4" of rake, which it sounds like that's not what you want.

If you want a cheap and easy way to level the truck, get 2" spacer that mounts on top of the front coilovers. They're cheap, easy to install and will level your truck alowing you to increase tire size.
Thank you. Yes, it is exactly a 2" difference and I have considered the 2" spacer and just be done with it. What would be the max tire size I can go with that set up? 33"?
I was also looking into a 4" lift. If I did get a true 2" in the back. Do you have any suggestions to raise the front 4". I saw people posting the 4" rancho kit for example.
I'm just looking for ideas and to see what modifications I would have to do to the front with a kit higher than 2". If I had to use a block along with an add a leaf in case? Extended shocks? And do I have to have my wheels before any of this (I noticed some of the kits say not to run with stock tires which I'm assuming has something to do with offsets)?

Old 08-17-2015, 03:26 PM
A suspension lift kit will come with everything you need for both the front and rear with the exception of rear shocks, some brands like Skyjacker leave those as optional so you can get them separately if you prefer. Cheaper kits will come with a block for the rear, more expensive kits may upgrade you to an aal or a set of full replacement leaf springs.

Anything over 2-2.5" and you need to get a full suspension lift with drop down crossmembers, this is where you're going to spend money because you'll need to buy new wheels at the same time. I don't think there's any kits left that allow for use of the stock wheels due to clearance issues.

With a simple level, using stock wheels you can fit around a 34-35x11.50 or so. Using different wheels, the tire size will most likely be smaller.

If you want your truck to be higher than the one in the picture, then you might as well just do a simple level for now and start saving money versus blowing a big chunk of money on a 4" lift. Because that truck is easily sitting on a 6" lift and it sounds like you want to be at 8" which is going to run you around 2-3k for just the lift alone.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by brimc
Thank you. Yes, it is exactly a 2" difference and I have considered the 2" spacer and just be done with it. What would be the max tire size I can go with that set up? 33"?
I was also looking into a 4" lift. If I did get a true 2" in the back. Do you have any suggestions to raise the front 4". I saw people posting the 4" rancho kit for example.
I'm just looking for ideas and to see what modifications I would have to do to the front with a kit higher than 2". If I had to use a block along with an add a leaf in case? Extended shocks? And do I have to have my wheels before any of this (I noticed some of the kits say not to run with stock tires which I'm assuming has something to do with offsets)?
A 2" spacer in the front should be able to fit 35s with stock wheels. You may have a slight amount of rubbing on some plastic pieces, or they might fit perfectly. If you want to go higher, as pizzaman was taking about, you're looking at spending a good amount of money.

Some people use 2.5" spacers in the front, but you'd be a little nose high and your suspension angles start to get severe and then you end up wearing out all the front end suspension components.

Sounds like you don't want to break the bank. In that case, just go with the simple 2" spacer up front and get some larger tires.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
A suspension lift kit will come with everything you need for both the front and rear with the exception of rear shocks, some brands like Skyjacker leave those as optional so you can get them separately if you prefer. Cheaper kits will come with a block for the rear, more expensive kits may upgrade you to an aal or a set of full replacement leaf springs.

Anything over 2-2.5" and you need to get a full suspension lift with drop down crossmembers, this is where you're going to spend money because you'll need to buy new wheels at the same time. I don't think there's any kits left that allow for use of the stock wheels due to clearance issues.

With a simple level, using stock wheels you can fit around a 34-35x11.50 or so. Using different wheels, the tire size will most likely be smaller.

If you want your truck to be higher than the one in the picture, then you might as well just do a simple level for now and start saving money versus blowing a big chunk of money on a 4" lift. Because that truck is easily sitting on a 6" lift and it sounds like you want to be at 8" which is going to run you around 2-3k for just the lift alone.
Thank you so much for your input and advise. I will probably start with new rims and tires and a 2" leveling for the front. I appreciate what you said and your link. The more I think about it, I will probably buy new wheels and work around that. Thanks again

Old 08-17-2015, 11:29 PM
A 2" spacer in the front should be able to fit 35s with stock wheels. You may have a slight amount of rubbing on some plastic pieces, or they might fit perfectly. If you want to go higher, as pizzaman was taking about, you're looking at spending a good amount of money.

Some people use 2.5" spacers in the front, but you'd be a little nose high and your suspension angles start to get severe and then you end up wearing out all the front end suspension components.

Sounds like you don't want to break the bank. In that case, just go with the simple 2" spacer up front and get some larger tires.
Great advise! Thank you so much! I think I will buy the 2" spacer and new wheels and work from there after that. I want to get new rims and tires I strand of using my stock rims. Now I have to figure out if I want 33's or 35's and what offset would work best LOL
I'm not cheap by any means. If I didn't have my money wrapped up in remodeling my house and my wife didn't know what I would be spending on this, then I would totally go all out! But I could do it little by little (still spending the same amount) and get away with it! I'm sure there's a lot of guys out there that know the feeling

Quick Reply: Add a leaf? Lift or level kit?