Truck pulls left with straight steering wheel, replaced tie rods already...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck pulls left with straight steering wheel, replaced tie rods already...

Hi Yall! I was having minor alignment problems with my truck so I replaced all my tie rods. So I figured I'd have my dealer do an alignment when I had new tires installed. So they did. Now a few weeks later my truck pulls to the left pretty bad when the steering wheel is dead straight. So I went back to the dealer this morning and they put it on the alignment machine and everything came out perfect still, he showed me the print out. He said there's a little play in the steering wheel, the gearbox is fine. What kind of steering linkage would cause steering wheel play?? I'm trying to figure out what to replace. I'd appreciate any help! Thank!!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar issue with one of my trucks. Try swapping wheels left to right, and also check for a hanging brake caliper. Go for a drive then feel the front rims. A dragging caliper will make the rim very hot and will cause the truck to pull to that side. Another thought is to take it to another shop that specializes in alignments. They can confirm the first shop but also give recommendations for fixes.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Another shop would be a good idea, or try rotating the tires and see what happens. Sometimes one bad tire can cause it to pull one way or the other. I know that some shops allign cars to go left a little bit anyways because of the crown in the road, which is crap anyway. I had that problem with a local shop here

Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
the crown in the road is a true thing.. it does exist and ford's alignment specs actually take it in consideration they cause a slight pull to the left by having caster on the left and the right be different about 50 minuets more positive on the right of the vehicle. but sounds like you have a tire pull my friend

Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I'll try some of those suggestions, thanks Guys!!!!
What a day so far... replaced a climate control dash light, airbag 27 code came on, soldered in a new bulb for that too now. Ughh.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Well I still couldn't figure it out so I took my truck to the dealer yesterday, and all they could find was that the Idler Arm was worn out. So $150 for the part and $80 for an hour of labor seems to have solved my problem. Alignment was checked again and all was good. I noticed there's two grease ports on the new part and they left them bone dry, go figure.
Just thought I'd share.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to hear that you figured it out!

Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you can also tighten up the adjustment on the steering gear box to get rid of the play in the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Truck pulls left with straight steering wheel, replaced tie rods already...