How to pick the right rim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to pick the right rim?

Hey guys, this year I plan to do a 6" lift and run 35's on my 09 FX4. I am waiting for spring to see what is coming available for the 09's as far as lift options go, but in the mean time, i would like to get the rim and tire situation figured out.

Here the deal, after reading though post after post on rim and tire sizing, I find myself getting confused on the hole offset and backspacing thing. Looking for a little help or suggestions into choosing the right rim and tire without rubbing issues. Like alot of guys here on the forum, i really like the KMC and XD series stuff.

So if I were to go with a 20x9 or 20x8.5 rim, what is the proper offset and backspacing to use? (Running a 35x12.5 tire)

I am new to this so don't roast me too hard guys.

One last thing, the correct bolt spacing is 6x5.5 or 6x135?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Here ya go..

https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...explained.html

That should get you started. Bolt pattern should be 6 on 135.

I also see you're new to the forums so, welcome! One last thing to get you on your way: If you look at the bar towards the top of the page that says, from left to right, "User CP.. Photo Gallery.. FAQ.. Members List.." you'll notice that down the line it also says "search". You can use that to search for keywords in posts or threads.

A lot of people on here have the same questions and, instead of finding an old thread where it's already been discussed, they'll make a new one asking the same question. Whether it's done because someone is new to the site and hasn't found out how to do everything yet or they're just being lazy, it still gets done. (I've done it myself a few times even using the keyword search).

Anyhoo, kinda got off topid a bit with that last part. lol Sorry about that. Wasn't aimed at you directly but more of a general statement about the forums. :o

Last edited by Indo; 03-09-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
thanks for the link. I am used to forums like this though. From sleds to motorcycles and now trucks.

I had gone through the search function and just got confused with everyone saying what they have seen vs what they run vs what they have heard.... just looking for some clear cut info. Thanks again

Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are some nice lifted ones on ebay right now, i'd love to have that lifted platinum

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think anyone here has lifted an 09 yet so info will be scarce. I believe the wheel specs are the same as the 04-09's or at least they appear to be. So, I'd suggest going with a 20x9 inch wheel with 5 inches of backspacing which is pretty common. I've read one review on the Skyjacker lift for the 09 and it requires the use of 20 inch wheels or larger. I'm not sure if this is gonna be a common thing or not with all lifts for the 09's. I'd keep my eyes open for Fabtech's lift. I'm sure they will have one out soon and they have a rep for building some of the best lifts for F-150's.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM
From what I've seen, you can fit 37's on an 09 w/ 6" of lift so why not step up to that instead of just 35's?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
First, you have to know which lift kit you are going to get. Then that particular lift kit will have required lift specs. Without knowing what kind of lift you are getting, there is no way to tell which wheels you will be using with it.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Ok, thanks alot guys. I guys i will side line any purchases until i know exactly what i plan to do. Thanks for the help.

Dont really want to do a gear change, so i think i'll stick to the 35's.... for now

Quick Reply: How to pick the right rim?