My alignment is good yet my tires still wear funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My alignment is good yet my tires still wear funny

Anybody know going on here? 2001 F150 4x4 supercrew with a 6" Fabtech on 285/17R17 BFG A/Ts. I took it to an alignment shop and for the most part it's all pretty good. They said the left wheel hub bearing had a tiny bit of play, and so did the idler arm, but would that make the tires wear as bad as they are (the inside/middle is bald, the outer still has a decent amount of tread). They said the camber (which would usually cause this sort of wear) was off barely, but it was so close, they'd have to guesstimate to get it perfect, and that it probably wasn't the cause of the wear. They really weren't sure why it's wearing so bad. Here are the numbers they gave me:

Somebody mentioned my sway bar endlinks, but I've got the Fabtech end links from the lift that are still in good condition. I'm already going to replace the idler arm because it's squeaking. I'd rather not have to replace the left bearing as that's a very expensive part replacing the whole hub . So anybody have a clue as to what's up?

Last edited by _cashel; 07-16-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I googled " tire wear problems" and found all kinds of good stuff. Over inflation and tires not really fitting the rims might be the issue. It's allways worth to to get a second opinion from another alignment shop.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Shane1
I googled " tire wear problems" and found all kinds of good stuff. Over inflation and tires not really fitting the rims might be the issue. It's allways worth to to get a second opinion from another alignment shop.
well the tires haven't ever been over inflated. I checked the tire pressure a few weeks ago and the rear tires were a little low, but nothing extreme. The wheels are stock wheels, and the BFGs are pretty standard tires, so I'm really at a loss of why these tires are the way they are.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 PM
according to those readings. the toe is off...look at the min then look at the actual.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Dude, If they said those numbers were normal then its time to change shops

You have to much negative camber on the front left wheel

Your right wheel is just in specs ( barley) BUT should be less than -0.5 on negative camber

You do not have enough positive caster on EITHER wheel

And you have TO MUCH negative toe in on both wheels

From what i see on you image, that shop did not know what they were doing because nothing is in specs at all and you caster is miles out.

I would not be surprised if the back of your truck wags left to right when you change lanes going down the road.

You need to go to a better shop before you ruin your tires.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I know next to nothing about alignment, and I guess the guy I was talking to didn't either. I figured if it was that close, it'd be alright. I'll take it to another shop and see what they say.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Cool, when you take it in, take your numbers that you posted up and tell them you want your alignment as close to the normal numbers as possible, also tell them you want a print out sheet on the final numbers.

What i am talking about when i say normal numbers is: On your image it shows Min, Normal, Max

The min. and Max. is the factory specs adjustable range, You cannot be outside those numbers in either direction. If your to high or to low in the adjustable range it will lead to abnormal tire wear

The Normal is what the factory has it set to and what the dealership will set it to if you went to them for a alignment.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by _cashel
I know next to nothing about alignment, and I guess the guy I was talking to didn't either. I figured if it was that close, it'd be alright. I'll take it to another shop and see what they say.
man i tried to call you about this~

I just remebered~ Its your stock wheels causing this. The backspacin/offset is not within Fabtech's specs. They even say that the stock wheels are not usable.

I thought of this right after you picked up those parts from me!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cashel, I agree w/ Trimble. That is probably why your alignment is off.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
Cashel, I agree w/ Trimble. That is probably why your alignment is off.
no a wheel cannot throw off caster, camber or toe...however i did notice you have a 2" spacer listed in your sig. that may be keeping them from being able to dial it in if the adjustment on caster/camber is maxed out.

Last edited by Paralyzer; 07-17-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm not asking this sarcastically. if everything else is in check but his wheel specs, what is it that is throwing his alignment off?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
i'm not asking this sarcastically. if everything else is in check but his wheel specs, what is it that is throwing his alignment off?
a crappy alignment guy is what im thinking..hell i can get closer to spec on toe with a friggin tape measure..

Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
no a wheel cannot throw off caster, camber or toe...
its not the wheel persay its the lift. I have a buddy with the exact same problem. just on a chevy

The lift requires wheels with a certain backspacing/offset and if this is not met than it will throw the alignment off!

Sometimes you can even get an alignment printout to show little to no problems but thats because the alignment is maxed out one way or the other.

I looked at cashel's front suspension and nothing is loose of done wrong!

The alignment is obviously off looking at the chart but i highly doubt they will be able to correct it enough with the stock wheels still on it

Old 07-17-2008, 11:23 PM
yes but a wheel with improper backspacing will only throw off the scrub radius and SAI (which noone really cares about anyways..) . im pretty sure the only reason lift manufactures recomend certain backspacing is for clearance issues with steering knuckles or the new tie rod locations on the steering knuckles.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Suspended
I'm sorry but a wheel is NOT going to throw off an alignment. The reason why they don't want you using stock wheels is because of the spindle hitting the wheel, etc.

Quick Reply: My alignment is good yet my tires still wear funny