New Shocks - ProComp ES3000?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Shocks - ProComp ES3000?

Well, my truck has passed its 11 year mark so i might be getting new shocks while theyre on sale on 4wheelparts.com. I was looking at the procomp es3000's because theyre only 10 more bucks compared to the es1000's. It comes with a steering stabalizer too, which i've read would be good anyways since i might be putting on a body lift and 35s. But i had a few questions before i went ahead and purchased them.

I know some of you guys have the procomp es3000s, i've heard pretty good reviews, but are there any complaints? worth the money?

It asks how much lift my truck has, and right now its stock but in a month or so i'll be putting a body lift on, this doesnt affect the shocks i need though correct? because a body lift doesn't mess with the suspension?

And it says the stabalizer doesn't come with the mounts or boot, how hard are those to get or does it just hook right up to the stock mount? Do i need them?

Thanks for any help in advance

-Cody

Old 06-07-2008, 05:47 PM
If you wait in a few days, I can tell you how nice they are

All in all, anything is better than stock. Wandell is one member who has them (mine are going on tom.) and he likes them from what I remember. You are correct on the lift - it will not affect the suspension.

Lastly, you WILL need to buy their steering stabilizer mount kit and an extra boot. My shocks came with boots, not the stabilizer. So, I had to re-order another boot Oh well. So, in a nutshell, order the shocks, the mount kit for the stabilizer, and an extra boot.

And yes, it will help when running larger tires (I'm going to 35s).

Hope that helps

Old 06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh and PB blast your bolts a couple times each day for a few days before you install the shocks. That, or have a breaker bar handy.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:04 PM
what does adding a steering stabilizer do on a stock truck, anything? and i may look into new shocks too, these pro comps on sale or ranchos? i want good street and off road performance

Old 06-07-2008, 07:22 PM
what color boots came with the shocks? just so i can know what color to get for the boot. you know, can't have anything mismatching haha

i searched and i think i saw a post where wandell said he didnt have to buy the mounting bracket and kinda made his own, or something.

Originally Posted by 4wd150
what does adding a steering stabilizer do on a stock truck, anything? and i may look into new shocks too, these pro comps on sale or ranchos? i want good street and off road performance
from what i've heard, a steering stabalizer will help improve your ride quality when you move to larger tires and help keep them alligned so they wear more evenly and effeciently. could be more to it than that though

Cody

Last edited by cotedog03; 06-07-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Pretty much every aftermarket shock but Bilstien is the same. This is why I will only buy Bilstiens. I have ES3000s on my 92 and I hate them. I got them before I was educated on shocks though.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
cote - they came with black. I'm not sure but I think you may be able to specify what color you want - I'd check (call them) if you want. I'm sure you can fab up the brackets - I'm one who would rather pay the extra $20 to get it done easy and right (not saying his wasn't, just I don't always have the time to custom fab items).

The stabilizers will really help when going over bumps - it'll minimize the jarring of the steering and help keep you going straight.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need the boots. Some people believe they are a bad idea, claiming they trap mud and promote rust. As for the mounting bracket, I purchased one but you can get by without one. The mounting kit for our trucks comes with a longer bolt and a bracket to mount one end of the stabalizer to the lower control arm. You are supposed to remove the mounting bolt for the lower contol arm on the passenger side and replace it with the longer bolt and bolt the Pro COmp mounting bracket to it. This isn't a big deal if you are installing a suspension lift kit at the time and have the suspension disassembled. A member here or FTW suggested that it would be easier to just mount this end of the stabalizer to the exsisting hole in the frame next to the lower control arm. This is what I did. However, instead of using the Pro COmp bracket you could just use a bolt. I have a couple of pics in my gallary.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh, gotcha. I must have misread your post, thinking you didn't use the bracket, but you just didnt unbolt the lower control arm. Looking at the bracket though it looks like a fairly simple design. I just can't see paying nearly 30 bucks for it, when you can find something similar at home depot for much cheaper.

If you were to not use the bracket, would you just turn it to have the hole sit flush with the frame and put the bolt through? Would it have any affect as opposed to having the bracket?

Thanks

Cody

Old 06-08-2008, 10:26 PM
You could do it that way. You could also get a bolt long enough to run it through the hole in the frame, then place a nut on it and tighten it down which would basically create a stud to mount the shock to. You would then mount the stabalizer shock to this "stud" and place a secont bolt on the end and torque it down.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm looking at just the steering stabilizers. is the pro comp ES 2000 what i need? i have a 2003 F-150 4WD w/ a body lift and 35's. i am looking for a good steering stabilizer setup. sorry for the hijack.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Yep, that is the exact combo I'm running.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the stabilizer provide a noticeable improvement over not having one? I'm running a setup on my truck very similar to yours...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Honestly, I didn't notice a difference. However, I wasn't having any problems prior to installation. It was just included with a purchase of 4 Pro COmp shocks from 4Wheel Parts.

Quick Reply: New Shocks - ProComp ES3000?