shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shocks

i need rear shocks in my 2000 f150 flareside 4x4. What would be the best shock to go with. Im not sure if certain shocks can hold more wieght or ride better or even lift it a little. Its only got 35's with 3 inch body lift.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shocks don't lift anything...they provide no weight support. Why do you need "rear" shocks?? Shocks work best in complete sets. My recommendation...match the rears to what's already on the front if that's all you're going to replace, or replace all four.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Bilsteins are about the best shock you can get out there IMO. But they are also the most expensive. I agreee with Galaxy on matching the 2 front shcoks or replace all 4 with the same ones.

I am running Bilsteins on the same set up you have (35s on 3" BL) and love them.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right. Also, any aftermarket shock will be an improvement over the oem shocks.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:03 PM
i just put the Rancho RS5000 on mine and couldnt be happier

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
if your going to do the back one, change all four. I just put on rancho RS5000, and i noticed a big difference in the ride.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 PM
ok yea i need my rears becuase my driver rear is blown and sags now when loaded and its not the springs so i figure shocks but changing all 4 is the best i will

Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
yea, it's just one of those things that you need to replace all of them at the same time, i mean you can change the back ones, but just make sure there the same as the front ones. and the shocks provide no weight support.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by LiftMeHigher
ok yea i need my rears becuase my driver rear is blown and sags now when loaded and its not the springs so i figure shocks but changing all 4 is the best i will
If your truck is sagging in one corner or in the rear it is the springs!! I'm not saying you don't have a blown or bad shock, but the shock is not the reason it's sagging. Shocks support ZERO weight...it's been mentioned and I don't know how much clearer we can make it.

Why do you say it's not the springs??? Cause it's not the shock either.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Check another vote for Bilsteins from me had'em about a month now and love'em:

Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Okay so.....

Galaxy said > Shocks don't lift anything...they provide no weight support <

So please explain to me again how Bilstein 5100's can provide you with adjustable ride height of 0" to 2" ???

Based on great reviews, and assurances that they can, in fact, give you 2" of leveling, I had pretty much decided on them. But I'm still not sure how they work ???

Can somebody please explain this in a way that a mechanically 'declined' individual can understand it ?

Thank you,
Fish

Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Galaxy said > Shocks don't lift anything...they provide no weight support <

So please explain to me again how Bilstein 5100's can provide you with adjustable ride height of 0" to 2" ???

Based on great reviews, and assurances that they can, in fact, give you 2" of leveling, I had pretty much decided on them. But I'm still not sure how they work ???

Can somebody please explain this in a way that a mechanically 'declined' individual can understand it ?

Thank you,
Fish

Please do some searching as this subject gets beat to death about twice a month...but since we're here, I'll give you the quick and dirty version. Search for more detailed write ups by me.

On the '04-Present trucks they have what's called a coil over on the front. The shock and spring are together as one assembly with the spring mounted directly to the shock. The Bilstein 5100 for these trucks has different spring perches at different locations on teh shock body. Reinstalling the spring on one of these 'other than stock' spring perches preloads the coil spring. This preload on the spring, or the new mounting location, if you will, induces the lift...but do understand, the increased ride heigth is caused by the springs mounting location and NOT the shock absorber portion itself.

For the rear shocks and for the front shocks that are not coil overs...i.e. pre-'04 trucks, this is not the case.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh yea...and to really get technical...the 5100's do not "lift" the truck per 'se. The new spring position which increases the preload on the coil spring alters where the truck sits in it's normal ride heigth. I can explain in more detail if someone really cared

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 PM
the springs were changed i was told b4 i bought but i looked and they look stock but not sure how to be 100% on it. Which bilstein shock should i go with tho becuase the shocks are orginal defitnly and whats the best way to go about with the springs. AAL or no

Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Since you have no lift kit, Bilstein only makes one shock for your truck so not much to figure out there. Don't know what you're trying to accomplish with the springs but as far as options, you can go with a complete new spring pack, aal's, or air bags...or any combination of the three. If I was looking for GREATLY improved ride and capability, I'd check to see if Deaver or National Spring has a spring pack for a no-lift truck and then throw on some air bags.

Quick Reply: shocks