Best Leveling Kit? 04 F150 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Leveling Kit? 04 F150 FX4

What's the best leveling kit? I've seen kits that do and don't require a strut compressor. I have a strut compressor, but the fact that some 2.5" leveling kits do and don't require the disassembly of the strut makes me wonder which is better.

I'm not necessarilly looking for cheap parts, but quality ones.

When I had my bronco, I just installed a complete suspension kit including new rear leafsprings (no blocks), there was no 'leveling'.

thanks,

Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 PM
A lot of people here are running the Autospring 2.5" spacers with no problem. They do not require the use of a spring compressor and do not effect the shock length like the type that installs between the spring and the seat.

The Bilstein leveling shocks are another way to get there, but more expensive and more labor intensive.

Either way an alignment will be necessary to correct the toe settings.

Last edited by jimmy77433; 11-06-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autospring 2" for 2wd and 2.5" for 4wd.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
oopps!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:57 PM
huh?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by jimmy77433
A lot of people here are running the Autospring 2.5" spacers with no problem. They do not require the use of a spring compressor and do not effect the shock length like the type that installs between the spring and the seat.

The Bilstein leveling shocks are another way to get there, but more expensive and more labor intensive.

Thanks Jimmy. So, if I have to further compress the spring to install the spacer, then when I let the spring compressor the spring will be more compressed than stock. True? Wouldn't this have an effect on the ride of the truck? Make the ride more rough?

ACTUALLY forget my response above. I just re-read your post. You said the AutoSpring does NOT require a compressor.

I WAS wondering how you could install a 2.5" spacer within a strut and get away with it without relacing the stock strut with a longer version.

Last edited by kjohnson1; 11-06-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by jimmy77433

So where is the best place to get these Autospring spacers?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by LariatSCrew04
wow, those look like quality pieces. I just ordered them. So if I get a full suspension lift later on these spacers will not be useless? Or will they?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by kjohnson1
wow, those look like quality pieces. I just ordered them. So if I get a full suspension lift later on these spacers will not be useless? Or will they?
Depends which lift you choose.Fabtech for example uses a longer shock and your stock spring so you can stack it on top and rize has a higher mounting point on the top of there sub frame so you can stack it on top with there lift as well but BDS and Pro Comp both give you a big spacer just like the Autospring one but bigger and mount it on top so it wouldn't be a good idea to stack the 2 together with those.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by chapdog
Depends which lift you choose.Fabtech for example uses a longer shock and your stock spring so you can stack it on top and rize has a higher mounting point on the top of there sub frame so you can stack it on top with there lift as well but BDS and Pro Comp both give you a big spacer just like the Autospring one but bigger and mount it on top so it wouldn't be a good idea to stack the 2 together with those.
Thanks chapdog. To all....I really appreciate your adult responses. I hope it continues. I am member of markviii.org, corral.net and dfwstangs.net and cannot believe some of the sarcastic responses. Now that I have traded my Lincoln Mark VIII for the Ford 4x4, I look forward to exchanging knowledge with you all.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I am considering the AS 2.5" kit for myself, but I am still undecided on the issue of stretching the front suspension components. There does not seem to be a consensus one way or the other on this forum, so you have to read a lot of old posts and make a decision for yourself.

The smallest lift which maintains the factory CV angles is a Rancho 4", but the cost is 10 times higher due to all the parts and pieces needed. Plus, if you are not going to do the work yourself, the price of the labor is much higher for a full lift kit. (As you would expect)

KR-Texas

PS. The reason I like this site is because most of folks on here are civil.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by KR-Texas
I am considering the AS 2.5" kit for myself, but I am still undecided on the issue of stretching the front suspension components. There does not seem to be a consensus one way or the other on this forum, so you have to read a lot of old posts and make a decision for yourself.

The smallest lift which maintains the factory CV angles is a Rancho 4", but the cost is 10 times higher due to all the parts and pieces needed. Plus, if you are not going to do the work yourself, the price of the labor is much higher for a full lift kit. (As you would expect)

KR-Texas

PS. The reason I like this site is because most of folks on here are civil.

What is this "stretching" that you speak of? Please explain more.
Also, I noticed that Auto Spring sells a set of replacement set of rear blocks should the rear of your truck sag after installing the Auto Spring 2.5" spacers. What's that all about?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Here are a couple of the posts which reference the ongoing CV angle debate:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ight=cv+angles

Do a search on "cv angles" with the quotes and you will find a lot more.

Here is what your front end will look like after installing the 2.5" leveling kit:

The CV shafts are parallel to the gound and in a straight line on a factory truck. Plus, the upper ball joints are not turned at such a severe angle like the top edge of the picture shows.

Do the angles affect the longevity of these components? Some people say yes and others say no, based on their own personal experiences. The over-riding trend seems to be the ones who take their trucks off-road have more problems with leveling kit angles than those who do not.

As an added point, every person I have asked who works at a suspension installation company (4WP, 4W Online, local suspension shop, etc.) has told me they have not had problems with them. In fact, they all recommended them as a safe way to level my truck. These are companies who sell a lot of leveling and suspension kits, so they have a vested interest in keeping their customers happy. Plus, they make more money selling and installing suspension kits, so there is no financial incentive to push the cheaper spacers.

If you plan to tow a trailer or if you want your rear higher than level, the rear spacers will help you in that regard. I have never heard of the rear sagging more after adding a leveling kit, but your truck may look like it is sagging due to the height difference.

KR-Texas

Last edited by KR-Texas; 11-07-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by KR-Texas
Here are a couple of the posts which reference the ongoing CV angle debate:

Do a search on "cv angles" with the quotes and you will find a lot more.

Here is what your front end will look like after installing the 2.5" leveling kit:

The CV shafts are parallel to the gound and in a straight line on a factory truck. Plus, the upper ball joints are not turned at such a severe angle like the top edge of the picture shows.

Do the angles affect the longevity of these components? Some people say yes and others say no, based on their own personal experiences. The over-riding trend seems to be the ones who take their trucks off-road have more problems with leveling kit angles than those who do not.

As an added point, every person I have asked who works at a suspension installation company (4WP, 4W Online, local suspension shop, etc.) has told me they have not had problems with them. In fact, they all recommended them as a safe way to level my truck. These are companies who sell a lot of leveling and suspension kits, so they have a vested interest in keeping their customers happy. Plus, they make more money selling and installing suspension kits, so there is no financial incentive to push the cheaper spacers.

If you plan to tow a trailer or if you want your rear higher than level, the rear spacers will help you in that regard. I have never heard of the rear sagging more after adding a leveling kit, but your truck may look like it is sagging due to the height difference.

KR-Texas
Thanks for the picture and info. So why did Ford make the front of these trucks lower than the rear? Surely they could have made them equal.

Quick Reply: Best Leveling Kit? 04 F150 FX4