Some Q's on torsion bars...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some Q's on torsion bars...

I was wondering if i cranked up my torsion bars all the way or even part way, if that would hurt anything besides the ride.
Also, i've seen people say they've got new torsion bars or it looks like some have brackets, what is the purpose of that? Can you raise them more or something? Thanx

Old 04-18-2001, 08:12 PM
You don't crank them all the way. If you do crank them, don't forget to get it re-aligned.

I have also heard of putting 3/4 ton torsion bars, I imagine that it raises the front of the truck because they would stiff (raise) up the front.

The brackets you talk about are probably the ones used on the suspension lifts. They simply drop the torsion bars so that they are realigned with the drop of the front crossmember and spindles.

Old 04-18-2001, 11:34 PM
You can only lift the front suspension so far with the bars. 1-1.5" is max from the stock ride height. Any higher and the excessive angles will kill the CV joints. Like 5K miles and it will be time to change them again!

3 full turns or 1.5" is max you should go with bars. If you want to go higher, you need to drop the axle and such.

FYI higher rated bars will not give a lift by themselves. Yes, you may not need the same amount of turns, but you still have CV joints there to take care of.

Old 04-19-2001, 01:59 AM
I believe Superdave 666 has put the heavy duty torsion bars off of a F-250 LD (which is the F-150 7700 GVR) onto his 150. They are about 4 inches longer, which means you must move the frame bracket back. This is not a big deal, as the frame comes with the holes pre-drilled on the frame already. Just crawl under your truck sometime, and you will see what I mean. It seems to be a fairly straightforeward job. I was thinking of doing it myself, actually. It would give a stiffer ride with more payload ability, less body roll, better off road ability, etc., and a bit higher in front, without having to "crank" them too tight. You still must mond the CV joint angle, however. They seem to be fairly reasonable as well, I got a dealership price of $300 for both new 150 7700GVR bars.

Old 04-19-2001, 02:22 AM
I have heard of just about everyone in the world with an F150 doing this and when using my better sense I would think cranking up the bars would cuase all sorts of problems ( mainly the fact of overdue stress on the bars themselves). I would think that Ford would ship these trucks out of the factory with the correct torsion on the bars. But hey what do I know. What kinda problems have you guys ssen come out of cranking the bars up. Let me know. thomaswright5714@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by KYFordFreak (edited 04-19-2001).]

Old 04-19-2001, 09:48 AM
KYFordFreak...I've thought about this too and seriously doubt that the torsion bars are engineered with limits so tight that cranking them up 1 to 1.5" from the factory specs will cause them to fail. I tend to trust the opinions of the long time members who have done such mods, they are a tremendous source of reliable information.

------------------
Ordered 2-20-01 TPW of 3-12-01 assigned on 2-26-01 DELIVERED 3-21-01! '01 F150 SCab XLT 4x4 SWB
507A Pkg.
Oxford white
Dark Graphite Interior
Captains Chairs
5.4 Triton
Auto Tranny
Off Road Package
Towing Package
Power Moonroof
3.55 Limited Slip
Heated Seats
AM-FM Cassette/6 disc CD
Power Drivers Seat
Sliding Rear Window
Adjustable Pedals
Electronic 4x4 Shift

16x8 Weld Typhoon wheels
& 285-75-16 Bridgestone Dueler AT tires ordered 4-16-01.

[This message has been edited by Zach (edited 04-19-2001).]

Old 04-19-2001, 03:06 PM
It is OK to crank the torsion bars for either more or less height. There's no where in the manual that says it. However, in a pamphlet distributed by Ford and handed out in Ford dealerships, the torsion bars are described as "height adjustable torsion bars." I know every dealership and their advice is different. But I'll post my customer service's reply to the issue:

You can crank them up. If you crank the adjuster bolt 3 or more complete rotations, you WILL need a realignment. If you crank them only 2 or less complete rotations, you will not need a realignment.

I turned my adjuster bolts only two complete turns, and I swear, I obtained 1 full inch. I measured at both sides, the height of the fenders before and after adjustment (the right side was about a 1/4 inch off, so I backed off of that side a little until both sides were equal). This was 8 months (11,000 miles) ago. As of this Spring Break, they have measured the same heights. And the allignment and the tire wear are just fine. As far as 3+ turns, I'm sorry. I can't comment. Hope this helps. -Joel

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 5.4L XLT X-Cab, Tow Pkg, ORP,heavy duty alternator, factory tranny and engine oil cooler. 8.8 front/9.75 LS rear, 3.55 gears, Speedliner Spray Bedliner, K&N Gen II, 40 Flomaster (w/4" chrome tip), Superchip, 32x11.50 Swampers. My truck: http://www.tamor.org/membersandrides/joelclarke.html
future mods: JBA headers (Jet-hot coated), Magnacharger, cowl induction, 4-inch Rancho Suspension lift, RS9000 Rancho shocks, 4.10 gears, 35x12.50 Super Swampers

[This message has been edited by red bull (edited 04-20-2001).]

Old 04-19-2001, 03:41 PM
I cranked my torsion bars as high as they would go, It raised the truck 2" I drove like that for 12,000 miles with no problems. Also I haven't gotten an allignment either. It does need it though.

------------------
NEW TRUCK!
00 f150 ext. cab 4x4 ORP w/5.4/auto, black! Tan buckets, expy center console, tinted windows, westin nerf bars, flowmaster 40 series, remote start/alarm/keyless entry, headlight/taillight covers, Lund wiper cowl, vent visors, tono cover
5" RCD lift, 3" body lift, 35" pro comp ats on eagle 589s

old truck
99 black f150 4x2 ext. cab sport w/4.6 V8. external mods. include:
3" body lift, 3.5" fabtech lift, airaid FIPK, JBA headers, Superchip headlight/taillight covers, wiper schroud, shadeblade, ventshade, bug deflector, bed liner, tonno cover, and custom duel exhaust out the sides with 3.5" chrome tips and NO muffler. Tires: Mickey Thompson Baja HP 35 12.50 17 internal mods. include:
Pioneer indash cdplayer, 2 12" subs, 400 watt amp, remote start, and aftermarket alarm
http://www.4tssinc.com/truck

Old 04-19-2001, 03:49 PM
Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 04-24-2001, 11:44 AM
Can you tell me how you adjusted your torsion bars? Did you crank the adjuster bolt clockwise or counter clockwise? I haven't looked under my truck yet so I wasn't sure if it is obivious as to how to adjust the height. Any help would be great.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by red bull:
It is OK to crank the torsion bars for either more or less height. There's no where in the manual that says it. However, in a pamphlet distributed by Ford and handed out in Ford dealerships, the torsion bars are described as "height adjustable torsion bars." I know every dealership and their advice is different. But I'll post my customer service's reply to the issue:

You can crank them up. If you crank the adjuster bolt 3 or more complete rotations, you WILL need a realignment. If you crank them only 2 or less complete rotations, you will not need a realignment.

I turned my adjuster bolts only two complete turns, and I swear, I obtained 1 full inch. I measured at both sides, the height of the fenders before and after adjustment (the right side was about a 1/4 inch off, so I backed off of that side a little until both sides were equal). This was 8 months (11,000 miles) ago. As of this Spring Break, they have measured the same heights. And the allignment and the tire wear are just fine. As far as 3+ turns, I'm sorry. I can't comment. Hope this helps. -Joel

</font>

Old 04-25-2001, 12:51 AM
I am running 7700 [f250 light duty bars]. the ride is stiffer but still pretty good. the CV joint angles are still within factory spec, there is a pretty good margin here. My truck is sitting perfectly level at this point. You dont have to crank the bars all the way up to get this ride height and they are stronger, 4" longer and a little thicker. 3 other guys here at work are running the same ride height w/o relocating the front diff and no CV joint problems, one has 15,000 miles since the raise. Hope this helps...
Dave

Old 04-25-2001, 01:06 AM
Okay, so the 250 bars are longer. That makes NO difference on the front end. You can still only lift the front end so far with the stock or 250 bars. You did NOTHING to relocate the front axle. Yes, you may not need as many turns to get the same height, but big deal. yes, they will help with the 7700 payload rating. You are all talking like the 250 bars are some miracle extra lift which they are not.

Torsion bar lift, front 4x4 only:

tools:
tape measure
1/2 socket wrench
wd40 or pentration oil
18mm socket

Get under the truck. In about the middle of the doors there is a crossmember. If you look at each side you will see 2 bolts there. That is how you adjust the bars. Lube them up with the oil or wd40.

First check your tire pressure. Make sure each tire has equal pressure in it!!!!

Second, measure the top of the wheel well directly thru the center of the wheel. Do this for both sides and mark the measurements on paper. Also measure the same thing on the rear. Now if one side is lower than the other, you can adjust the lower side. Basically 1 full turn of the adjustment bolts is about 1/2" of lift.

Once you get each side level up front, then crank the bars in 1/2 turns until the front is about 1/2" lower then the rear. After each 1/2 turn, bounce on the front bumper about 2-3 times and measure. Do not exceed 3 turns on the bolts or more than 1 1/4" lift in the front. This will create excessive angles on the CV joints and cause premature wear!!!!

After that, drive the truck and check the measurements again side to side. You should have an alignment done on the truck after this for maximum tire life

Old 04-25-2001, 01:23 AM
Ok, so I was a little bit wrong in my thinking. Sorry, I have never had a vehicle wit the torsion bars to them. I talked to a friend who did this and he said everything that you guys did. It wasn't a fact that I didn't believe you but a fact that I wanted to be sure that no harm would come to me or my baby. Now that I think about it I might go out and do this tomorrow, at least it might stiffen up the squishy feeling when you hit the brakes. I did my homeowrk and I now understand that the principles behind torsion bars and now would see no harm in turning them up 1-2 times.

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4wd 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed 2 tone royal blue w tan bottom, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests

Current Mods
K&N Filter
Xact Plug Wires- 8mm
Ventshade side window deflectors,read window deflector, bug guard, headlight and taillight blackouts
custom hand painted Ford emblems on door jamb guards and under hood on plastic intake cover
plastic mud guards
custom 4x4 off road graphics
Ford hitch cover and license plate frame
Custom carpet liner (protects factory carpet)
Slyvania Cool Blue Headlight and fog lamp bulbs
oh yeah, one custom dent and scratch from a deer the night before deer season

Old 04-25-2001, 02:36 AM
Hello, everybody-

Rather ironic there is an active topic on this very issue- I just did the job myself today! I got this truck used, and I noticed a while ago that the right torsion bar bolt is tightened a LOT more than the left, yet the truck front sat within 1/4" height on either side. Looks like both sides were already tightened up a bit, but for some reason the right side torsion bar is weak, thus all the extra tightening on that side.

I tightened the left side up 2.5 turns, the right side 2 turns. I drove it over some bumps, then re-measured. I got about 1/2" lift on both sides, the left and right being within 1/8 inch now. Close enough.

On this thursday, I am getting a front wheel alignment anyways, so I'll post to you all how much if any realignment will be needed. I may even twist them a bit higher, if I can get away with it. The truck has been riding on it's suspension setup (previous to my work today) for at least the last 25,000 kms I've owned it, and no problems with the CV joints. I really don't think that an extra 1/2" of height will affect them any more. Besides, if you think about it, the CV joints are under any real stress only when 4x4 is engaged, otherwise they are getting a stress free ride. So a higher ride up front could only possibly damage the CV's only if you use a lot of 4x4. And I would be sure that the Ford engineers designed the CV joints to operate under 4x4 through full front suspension articulation. Otherwise, they would be breaking all the time under any kind of bumpy road while in 4x4. Just my opinion, any other thoughts on this??

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 SC SB 4.6L

Old 04-25-2001, 09:55 AM
Actually Matt, you can raise the vehicle an extra inch over what the stock torsion bars will give and the cv joint angles are still within spec. That is up to the discretion of the owner as to how high he is willing to crank the bars. The 7700 torsion bars are longer and thicker which is comprable to putting a tighter wound coil spring in a coil spring suspension system, which gives you a stiffer ride and in this case, more lift if u want or at the very least, less stress on the torsion bars by not having to wind them up all the way, there have been some complaints about broken torsion bars here [big deal, right Matt?]. I dont think they are a miracle lift, I am just posting what I did to my truck and it works and looks fine. Another thing about the 7700 bars is if you do lift your truck with a Trailmaster or comprable kit and you do use these bars, the truck sits better.. I can show u 3 employees trucks here [Ford Dealership} that have done it. They look and ride fine. Everything I have posted was mainly to help people with some questions.. these are things we have actually done and not just talked about doing like a lot of these posts. I guess I will just stop posting here... Have fun with your truck or mustang or moped Matt.

Quick Reply: Some Q's on torsion bars...