Leveling Coils + Spindles

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2000, 11:02 AM
MJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leveling Coils + Spindles

I'm looking for some opinions on my suspension setup. I have been looking through all the archives and I know what's available, I'm having trouble deciding which is the best way to go. I'm currently running factory wheels and tires on my 2wd with the Fabtech leveling coils (not the a-arms, just the coils). I want to run 285/75/16's (33's) on the factory wheels, but I want a little more lift. I don't do any serious off-roading, but I do some light stuff occassionally. Here are my choices:

1. Go with a 2" body lift (I don't really like body lifts)

2. Add on some bullseye spindles (does this cause problems when combined with the Fabtech springs?)

3. Lose the springs and go with the Fabtech A-arm lift + spindles (this is ideal, but I already have the leveling coils installed and don't really want to take them out)

Help please! : )

MJ

------------------
'99 Supercab 2wd, Fabtech Leveling Coils, Stull Billet Grille, Kenwood X711, Coming Soon: BFG AT's and possibly Bullseye Spindles

Old 04-12-2000, 11:38 AM
Talking

It should work Fine. Since the spindles don't affect the springs or shocks at all. The ONLY reason I don't already have the Fabtech leveling coils on top of my spindles in because I have a regular cab

------------------
98 F150 2WD,Bright Red, Regular Cab, 4.2, 3.55, 5 Speed, Superchip, 2 Superchip Decals (I Think They Add 5 HP Each), 3 Inch Bullseye Lift Spindles, 3" Body Lift, 1" Coil Spacers, 3" Blocks In Rear,Manik Grill Guard,Nerf Bars, Vent Visors,Air Box Mod, Fog Lights Mounted In Front Air Dam ,4 Kc DayLighters, Back Up Lights, Alpine CD Player, 2 Kenwood Amps,Polk Audio DX7 5X7's In The Front Doors, 10 Inch MTX Blue Thunder SubWoofer, Tinted Windows. 35" BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN KO'S Mounted on 16.5x9.75 American Racing Baja Rims
<A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/pf95408d4c385a927598e7884a5151a2a/ffd9add3.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p7e554b755e2bb9aa66f774b76d669a34/ffd9add2.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/pe0557f5ae565a8da25e9ce11b08009df/ffd9add1.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p810cf5ac82eb57b84a62f699fb0f38e7/ffd9ad72.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p3d23039451896f609154656f22698b8f/ffd991ca.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>
CLICK THE PIC FOR A BIGGER ONE

..........."IF YOU CAN'T STOP, SMILE AS YOU GO UNDER"...........

'00 Toyota Celica GT( Wife's Car )<A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p5ef23f8639c03b4f05f21e4f35c15cfb/ffd9ad71.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>

Pics @ http://www.angelfire.com/la2/ccla/

[This message has been edited by ccla (edited 04-12-2000).]

Old 04-12-2000, 04:46 PM
Cool

MJ,

Since you're not going to do some serious off-roading (I don't beat my rig to hell either) and just want to stuff 285's in the wheel wells go with a body lift. A IFS suspension lift is bucks ($1600 for my 4X). Even Fabtech is mega bucks. A body lift is alot less expensive. I just ordered a Performance Accessories 3" and some liners today. The lift was $129 and the liners were $49.

Just my .02

Old 04-13-2000, 12:09 AM
franks&beans
Cool

MJ,
If I had to do a lift again, I would choose the spindle, then if I wanted more clearance a body lift would follow. I do like my body lift (it's easier to access the spark plugs) and I have more room to install some sub woofer boxes under the rear cab.

F&B's

PS the 265/75R/16's are 31.65" tall
the 285/75R/16's are 32.8" tall
the 295/75R/16's are 33.4" tall

------------------
98 F-150 XLT, SC, SWB, 2WD, Pac. Grn., 4.2L auto, 4.10 gears w/ LS, Tow Pkg., BFG AT's 265/75/16, K&N air filter, Dynomax muffler, Superchip, Edelbrock shocks, Hellwig sway bar, 3" body lift, signal mirrors, ...tons of cosmetic products

Old 04-13-2000, 11:10 PM
ccla-
Do you think there would be any problems with the leveling coils on top of the spindles? What about the angle of the ball joints? I realize there isn't any difference between having the leveling coils on the stock spindles or the 3" spindles. Just wanted to know what you thought.

MJ-
How do you like the leveling coils? I don't think I have heard anyone say anything good about them yet, just complaints.

Old 04-14-2000, 10:08 AM
MJ
Talking

Thanks to everyone who replied so far. You've definitely helped me out. I'm still not completely decided, but here's what I'm thinking at this point.

If I went with a body lift I wouldn't want to go more than an inch or 2. I just don't think more than that would look right (frame under the body, under wheel wells, etc.). Since I want to go a little higher than that (3"), I think I've ruled out the body lift, but maybe I'll wait and see how Loser's looks.

That leave me leaning towards getting the spindles. If I install them myself, I think I can get away with $600. Not too bad for 3" of lift. Then I'll have a total of 5 1/2" in front (3 from spindles and 2 1/2 from springs). I'll probably go with 2" blocks in the rear - I'd like the truck to slope slightly to the rear. With that setup I may go with the 295/75/16's. I think I can fit those with no problem and I think the 285's may be a little small for that much of a lift. I think most of the people that do the 3 1/2 fabtech lift and spindles in combo run 35's, so I should be okay with the 295's since they work out to be just under 34".

Texas Ag,
As far as the leveling coils go, I've been happy with them. The ride did get a little harsher, but not untolerable. Besides, if you add off-road components to your truck, you have to expect the ride to stiffen up a bit. I would've liked to get a little more lift out of them, but for the money, I don't think you can beat them. If you want to see some pics, go to <a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~mikej27/f150">http://home.earthlink.net/~mikej27/f150</a>. If you have any more questions about them, let me know.

Thanks again to everyone.

MJ

------------------
'99 Supercab 2wd, Fabtech Leveling Coils, Stull Billet Grille, Kenwood X711, Coming Soon: BFG AT's and possibly Bullseye Spindles

Old 04-14-2000, 11:28 PM
Question

Couldn't you get the Fabtech a-arms & use them with your leveling coils? If you add the spindles you'd have your 5.5" of lift. Camburg makes some pretty stout looking a-arms too. If thats too high you could cut your springs for 1-1.5" of lift, then add the spindles. I don't think you'd need the a-arms then. I had a 93 Explorer with a Rancho 2.5" lift & had about 1.5 turns cut from the front coil springs to level it out with the rear at stock height. I ask the shop that did the cutting if the heat would screw up the temper of the spring & they said no. I never had a problem with the springs & it smoothed out the ride a little bit. One more thing, I think 1" of lift at the coil spring is equal to 1.75" of lift at the wheel because of where the spring is located on lower control arm.

Old 04-15-2000, 12:22 AM
MJ
Hold on a minute. I just came back from Fabtech and they told me that I couldn't run any spindles with the leveling coils. I was told they tried the bullseye spindles and the spindles they are working on they both added too much stress to the ball joints. He said the spindles could be run with their a-arm kit or their long-travel kit, but not with the 2" leveling coils. So, where does that leave me...either with a 2" body lift or maybe I'll remove the leveling coils and go with the 3 1/2 a-arm kit. Decisions...decisions... : )

MJ

------------------

Old 04-15-2000, 09:46 AM
MJ
That's a good point about getting the fabtech a-arms and running them with my leveling coils. The guy I talked to at Fabtech said I'd have to get new coils to run the a-arms, but maybe he didn't know what he was talking about. He just looked in the catalog and noticed that the part numbers were different and said I'd have to get new coils. Maybe I'll ask him to look into it. I should probably just stop being cheap and buy the whole a-arm kit. : )

MJ

Old 04-16-2000, 12:07 AM
Do the leveling coils give 2" or 2.5" of lift? The reason I ask is the Fabtech a-arms are designed for 3.5" of lift & 2" coils might be a little short. Look at www.camburg.com. Their a-arms are designed for 3" of lift. The way they mount the ball joint seems more heavy duty than Fabtech's & they use what they call a long travel ball joint.

Old 04-28-2000, 05:56 PM
CR1
A couple of things here guys: Firstly, the spindles are the way to go to get the quick, easy 3", but the truck will still need to be aligned once they are on. Secondly, Camburg makes some good products, I have a couple of friends that lifted their trucks at Camburg. Great customer service, and better prices than Fabtech. But there is one other company, www.truckn.com , that sells a whole lot of Chassis Tech, www.chassistech.com lifting and lowering products for trucks. They are located in AZ which means that there will be no sales tax on anything I buy from them (I live in SoCal), and they have free shipping on their A-arm and 3" coil spring kit ($448.99). That is cheaper than the arms alone from Fabtech, and no shipping/tax will save me about $65-$70. This kit doesn't come with shocks, but that is probably good, because I can pick the shock that I want, not that comes with a kit.

------------------
1999 2WD XLT 4.2L Auto
http://www.geocities.com/cr1f150/
3 inch bullseye spindle lift
Borla catback
Clear corners

Quick Reply: Leveling Coils + Spindles