SuperCrew

Screw Wandering on Hwy???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Screw Wandering on Hwy???

Have any other owners had there screw not keep a straight line while on the Hwy? I originally thought that this was due to too low air pressure for the Goodyear 17" RTS's. The factory put only 30psi front and 35 psi rear!!!! What the hell are they thinking!!!! All of the weight is up front but they are putting only 30psi up there!?! Didnt they learn a lesson from the damn Explorer's???? Well I had the front end checked by my independent shop and it was dead on from the factory and no loose components. I even put 39psi up front and this helped but the ride is very stiff? Any suggestions...is it the nature of the beast or what??

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 5.4 4X4, ORP, Captian chairs, Sunroof, Oxford White
Ordered 12-13-00
Built 1-17-01
Delivered 1-27-01

Old 02-18-2001, 01:26 PM
Red face

I test drove an SCrew yesterday and felt that it did not hold a line as well as some of the SuperCabs I have been in. I am wondering if this is an issue only with the SCrew possibly due to the pivot point (the cab and bed are designed as two seperate compartments for a more responsive ride) being moved back in the truck b/c of the smaller bed.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the ride b/w the Screw and SCab?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mikee:
Have any other owners had there screw not keep a straight line while on the Hwy? I originally thought that this was due to too low air pressure for the Goodyear 17" RTS's. The factory put only 30psi front and 35 psi rear!!!! What the hell are they thinking!!!! All of the weight is up front but they are putting only 30psi up there!?! Didnt they learn a lesson from the damn Explorer's???? Well I had the front end checked by my independent shop and it was dead on from the factory and no loose components. I even put 39psi up front and this helped but the ride is very stiff? Any suggestions...is it the nature of the beast or what??

</font>

Old 02-18-2001, 04:35 PM
Fallscrew:
Mine is wandering both directions down the hwy. The tire say max 36psi and I am currently running 37psi. My front end shop told me to put 39-40psi in the tires. The front end is dead in alignment and no loose components. But I did not like the ride quality with that much air. Perhaps its the damn sh**ty Goodyear tires???

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FALLSCREW:
Mikee,
Does it wander all over or just pull to 1 side? I have 265/70/17 BFG's and I have the pressure at 46 psi all the way around.That what bfg say's for these tires though,I would'nt do that with the goodyear's.My truck pull's to the right side so I think
I'll get the front end alighnment.It alway's pulled to the right even with the goodyear tires.I would have ford check it out since that is covered under warranty.What are the pressure spec's on the side of the tire?

</font>

Old 02-18-2001, 06:09 PM
Mikee,
I can't say if it's the goodyear's or not.
Every truck that I've ever bought that has come with goodyear tire's since 1985 I've given the tire's a fair chance weather they were rts or at's.I was'nt to happy to see my screw come through with the rts tire's since I ordered the all terrain's & I don't consided these all terrain tire's.I thought I would give them a chance well the first time I drove it in the rain I said to myself
these have got to go.I went back to BFG's these are the best (only my opinion).The ride is harsher but much more durable & longer lasting for me.I would keep bitching to your dealer about the wandering though.
see ya

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 4X4
BLACK W/DARK GRAPHITE
5.4 EFI V8
17" 10 SPOKE'S
3.55 LIMITED SLIP
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
SKID PLATE'S
POWER MOONROOF
SLIDING REAR WDW.
TRAILER TOW PKG.
BED EXTENDER
CLOTH CAPTAIN'S CHAIR'S
STAINLESS STEP BAR'S
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE
WINDOW TINT
VENT VISOR'S
LINE-X-BED LINER
FORD MOLDED MUD FLAP'S
K&N FILTER
HUSKY FLOOR LINER'S
HEADLIGHT/FOG SWITCH MOD.
BFG 265/70/17 AT/KO

Old 02-18-2001, 08:39 PM
Hey All,

My Screw has pulled to the right since the day I bought it. I took it back to the dealership and they say it's fine. I have since put on 285's, it still pulls but I know if I take it back now the dealership will just blame the tire change.

I plan on getting an alignment and seeing if that helps. Another guy on this site posted that he had his toe changed/tightened. I'm not sure exaclty what that means (I work with computers not cars ) but maybe that would help.

Let me know what you find out.

------------------
2001 Bright Red Supercrew
4X4
5.4 V8

Mods:
BFGoodrich TA KO 285/75/16
Airforce One intake kit
Exhaust: Hooker AeroChamber Muffler, SI/DO
SurePull Class III Hitch
Rhino Liner (Planned)
Catch-All Floor Mats (Planned)

Go Buckeyes!
&
Go Bluejackets!

Old 02-18-2001, 09:22 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mikee:

</font>
Mikee,
You could try cranking the torsion bars up to level the truck from front to rear, re-align the front end and add more caster.Caster is what returns the wheel to center so if you have more positive caster it will return to center harder.Also consider the road that you are driving on at the time and which way the crown is. Cars will always fall off (pull away) from the crown.If your pull is always to one direction , swap the tires side to side.If the pull transfers to the opposite side then you have bad tires.

Old 02-19-2001, 12:30 AM
Mikee,
Does it wander all over or just pull to 1 side? I have 265/70/17 BFG's and I have the pressure at 46 psi all the way around.That what bfg say's for these tires though,I would'nt do that with the goodyear's.My truck pull's to the right side so I think
I'll get the front end alighnment.It alway's pulled to the right even with the goodyear tires.I would have ford check it out since that is covered under warranty.What are the pressure spec's on the side of the tire?

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 4X4
BLACK W/DARK GRAPHITE
5.4 EFI V8
17" 10 SPOKE'S
3.55 LIMITED SLIP
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
SKID PLATE'S
POWER MOONROOF
SLIDING REAR WDW.
TRAILER TOW PKG.
BED EXTENDER
CLOTH CAPTAIN'S CHAIR'S
STAINLESS STEP BAR'S
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE
WINDOW TINT
VENT VISOR'S
LINE-X-BED LINER
FORD MOLDED MUD FLAP'S
K&N FILTER
HUSKY FLOOR LINER'S
HEADLIGHT/FOG SWITCH MOD.
BFG 265/70/17 AT/KO

Old 02-19-2001, 12:39 AM
Fellas,
I had the same problem with my crew. I took it to the dealer and had an alighnment done. It seem to be better but it still pulled a little to the right. When I put my BFG 33's on the 4x4 shop put a cam kit on the right side. Now it drives straight as an arrow. It's pretty common to add the kit.
Love this truck!

------------------
2001 SuperCrew Amazon Green/Silver 5.4 4x4 Capt chairs,cd changer,Lim slip,Tow Pkg, Pw seat, BFG 33/12.5/16.5 on American Eagle AE 589Rims,Superchip, Airaid FIPK, Ravin Z55 Performance Exhaust, Sliding rear, Keyless/lojack

Old 02-21-2001, 07:01 PM
My SCrew pulls to the right also. I have brought it back to the dealer and they said it was out just a tad. When I drove the truck off it still pulled to the right. I brought it back and they said that everything was fine. I didn;t have the time to argue with them so i left it at that. Since then I cranked up the torsion bars and had it realigned at a local 4x4 speciality shop. To no avail it still pulls to the right. I guess i'll just have to wait and try to bring it back to the dealer when I have a little more time to keep my truck there to see if they can solve my problem once and for all.
&lt;IMG SRC="http://www.geocities.com/getusome125/supercrewtinted2.jpg"&gt;

[This message has been edited by riccog (edited 02-21-2001).]

Old 02-21-2001, 08:16 PM
Wonderful, I just posted this in suspension area, but I guess I am not alone.

I am in love with a Screw (who isn't) but it drifts to the left when driving. Not a pull but a drift. Seems like when I hit bumps in road, it starts drifting.

The dealer aligned twice, rotated tires, could not duplicate (we know that response). Went to local alignment shop, all within specs, they changed the caster on one side. Better but still drifts.

Any thoughts, even .02 worth.

Old 02-22-2001, 12:59 AM
Angry

Wandering,eh?? Well now I have company. First, it's not the tires; Second- it's not the alignment. If you jack-up one side of the front end,wiggle the wheel around. You will find upper movement in the pitman arm.Now, let it down and jack-up the other side, wiggle the wheel and you will find movement in the idler arm.It took 2 dealers to agree with me.Now, after a new idler,pitman and steering box, still have the same problem. Are the new parts bad ? That's the only thing I can figure. Perhaps they came from the same lot and the tolerance is way too sloppy. The last trip to the dealer ( Nick Nicolas Ford,Inverness Florida ) I watched the the front-end tech remove the tires, scratch his head and move the tires from one side to the other. I went over and asked what he found this time. He said the ticket said to swap the tires. Swap with what I asked? I proceeded to explain that with *only* one wheel in the air at a time, check for movement. He wiggled and wobbled and checked another truck on a rack. Yep he said, there is slop in the idler arm. Anyway, another new one is on the way, but I bet a beer it doesn't help. Meanwhile, I am writing to Ford to complain. Check yours with another pair of hands to move the wheel while you look at the arms. Bet you see them moving. I didn't trust my eyes, so I took it to a top notch front end shop in town. Didn't say anything other than it wandered and I wanted an alignment. five minutes later, he called me over to the bay and showed me movement in the idler and pitman arm!! Imagine that!! Suggest you do the same and let me know.

home e-mail is jotr@bellsouth.net

------------------
2001 SCREW;OX-WHITE/SILVER;5.4L;4X4;Skid plates;Limited- slip;Char-gray interior w/bench seat;Tow Pkg;17"Wrangler RTS With 10 Spoke Alum whls;CD;Slider Rear;NO DECALS/PIN STRIPES;Super-Chip;K&N filter.

Old 02-22-2001, 03:23 PM
Question

On my first trip in my SCREW I noticed a pull in the steering to the right or to the left depending on the crown in the road. It was sometimes a pretty darn hard pull. I have recently cranked the torsion bars (3 complete rounds on the 18 mm bolts for a 1" lift in the front) this made a difference in the ride, not as much bounce over the San Jancinto bridge on I-10.(reference road for my shock test) I may be getting accustomed to the pull or it may have gotten better! It will be time for the second oil change soon. I think I may have the dealer check the front end and see what happens.

------------------
2001 Super Crew Built 10/00 purchased12/00 Lariat 5.4 4X4 Bright Red, Factory Steps, Tow Package, A.R.E. LS II, Rear Seat Entertainment System, Sound System Upgrades, DRL'S, Vent Shade Vent Visors, Stagecoach bug Deflector. Hope to upgrade soon to Gibson SS or Dual Sport! Factory skid plates and "Off Road" Decal

Old 02-22-2001, 03:32 PM
*sigh*

After a while reading this board, now I'm not sure what to expect from my incoming SCrew. From tranny thunks, lousy paint jobs, vibrating pedals, to drifting on roads and many other issues. I was really eager to pick up my SCrew in about two weeks, but now I'm not so sure. At least I know what to look for when I do pick it up. Hope it works out for everyone, and I'll be sure to post anything with my truck once I do pick it up.

------------------
F-150 SuperCrew, XLT, 4X4, 4.6L, Ox. White, Med. Graphite 60/40, Towing Pkg, Offroad Pkg, 17" 10 spoke rims, Moonroof, 3.55 L/S

Old 02-22-2001, 05:30 PM
Thumbs up

Chuck_TX -

Welcome to the world of message boards. You should still be very excited about your crew. It is sad that some people are having troubles, and I really hope they get them fixed, but there are countless others who have no troubles at all. It is a common thing amongst message boards to have a majority of the posters who fit into just a few categories. For this board, I see the groups as such:

1) Those that are contemplating or are going to purchase a S'Crew in the near future or just got one. (I fall into this category)

2) Folks that are just in love with their trucks and like to share their great experiences with others (mods, etc.)

3) Folks that bought one and are having problems.

Don't be scared off by group 3. On this particular board, I have been pleasantly surprised that the Group 3 posters are folks who generally seem to love their truck, just want their one particular problem go away. On too many other boards I visit, the Group 3 folks basically ruin the board by constantly posting negative comments.

Just remember, there are thousands upon thousands of folks who don't even know this website exists, who drive around happily in their S'Crews!

Hey, you got to be excited about your truck! I look for opportunities to take mine out and show it off. Man, these trucks look great!

Good luck!

------------------
2001 F-150 S'Crew
Lariat 4x4
Oxford White w/ silver ccent (two-tone)
5.4L V-8
skid plates
rear-slip
graphite leather (60/40 bench)
Husky liners
tonneau cover (coming soon)

Old 02-22-2001, 06:48 PM
Arrow

rasch,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm not going to let it get me down, figure that is what the warranty is for if I do happen to stumble into problems. After ordering mine I've been seeing a lot of the SCrew's roaming the roads looking very nice. Can't wait to join the group!

------------------
F-150 SuperCrew, XLT, 4X4, 4.6L, Ox. White, Med. Graphite 60/40, Towing Pkg, Offroad Pkg, 17" 10 spoke rims, Moonroof, 3.55 L/S

Quick Reply: Screw Wandering on Hwy???