Oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Oil analysis

Hi there!

Here is my oil analysis, is there anything wrong? :/

Jason's

Last edited by widj; 07-31-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Shows up blurry. Can't read it.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash!
In the bottom right of the task bar by the clock, you can choose to zoom in and read it. One click at a time, it will zoom in about 25% per click.

widj- How much did it cost to get this test done? And where do I go for more info on it?

And how many miles are on your truck? How many miles driven on that oil they tested?

I would love to know more. If you don't mind...
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests-price-list.php

Old 08-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have never understood the point of this.

how does this information help? unless you where trying to figure out how long you can stretch out changing the oil. whicj for the cost and potential cost/lose seems silly.

if you see that your rings are wearing or same with valve guides, what could you do about it?

if i had a car and was in a race program, i could see how this could tell us when it was time to tear down and rebuild, but a race car could require a teardown 1 or 2 times a year, a daily driver trucks are good to go for 200k plus.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
i have never understood the point of this.

how does this information help? unless you where trying to figure out how long you can stretch out changing the oil. whicj for the cost and potential cost/lose seems silly.

if you see that your rings are wearing or same with valve guides, what could you do about it?

if i had a car and was in a race program, i could see how this could tell us when it was time to tear down and rebuild, but a race car could require a teardown 1 or 2 times a year, a daily driver trucks are good to go for 200k plus.
Well now I know that my engine internals aren't going well, so I won't be pushing more boost to it, actually I dropped down from 14PSI to 10PSI..

Without this piece of info I would have stay at 14 or 12PSI

It also confirms what some garages says that going supercharged or turbo with a stock engine is asking for trouble, I remember one saying it's not IF it is WHEN it will happen.

I learnt quite a bit starting from scratch here, and I know my next project will be a car and I will get the engine built to avoid the frustration of not knowing when to stop.

off topic but I'd love to have a street driveable car, and max out the engine with pump gas, ie. 92 octane, built with either a blower or turbo, TBD.
also not sure if AWD/4WD would be better than RWD
I've seen a few vehicles on youtube going over 1000HP at the wheel with pump gas

Old 08-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by widj
Well now I know that my engine internals aren't going well, so I won't be pushing more boost to it, actually I dropped down from 14PSI to 10PSI.. Without this piece of info I would have stay at 14 or 12PSI It also confirms what some garages says that going supercharged or turbo with a stock engine is asking for trouble, I remember one saying it's not IF it is WHEN it will happen. I learnt quite a bit starting from scratch here, and I know my next project will be a car and I will get the engine built to avoid the frustration of not knowing when to stop.
I wouldn't blame the super charger. You do have 180,000 miles correct? Plus the recent addition of cams which means you have some fresh parts and bearings breaking in on top of the older ones that have worn.

The garages that make comments like that are ignorant dumb-asses. Stock motors can handle 5-12psi and live a perfectly normal life. When I did my sample at 80,000 I had been supercharged for 44,000 miles. Made roughly 30 dyno pulls at least 45-50 trips down the track and drive the hell out of it. You saw my test results...better then a bone stock motor.

These garages fail to realize the Lightning and Harley trucks had standard power plants with an Eaton on top. The Supercharged 3.8 V6's from GM were the same way and it's like that with a lot of factory supercharged vehicles.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For comparison here is my report from the same company. Personality I want to know everything I can about my engine. I use the Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5-20 wt. I don't have an SC yet. Stock motor and a performance tune.

Last edited by MeanGene; 08-17-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added oil type.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM
14 psi that jdm does not support (crash and twin also think it is high.)

cam install in th elast 4 months, cam break in, new parts, gaskets, think that might mess up your readings. playing with cam durations and overlaps can create nightmares for blown engines, are you sure the cams you installed match you engine and blower specs.

you have a 180k miles, you cant complain about engine life, to me you prove that even at 14 psi a stock engine holds up, i think you are being very unrealistic.

built engine, kiss of death, will drain you checking account, kill your time and crush your love of the hobby, happens 90% of the time, go back and find those with built motors, they quit posting. or they end up spending a lot of cash and to embarrased to admit it.

but i have a feeling you know more than everyone else so do your thing

Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 PM
yes cams were installed very recently, I didn't know they had to break in, JDM confirmed that those cams are compatible with my setup (FRPP Hot Rod Cams)

I have 116000 miles on the engine (or 186000km), how long do these engines last anyways?

You are right about some people going built, the main reason why I won't put more money and especially on the engine is because this is a very heavy truck, and my 1/8 mile sux, it is quite old too, 2006.

I went to a few car meets, and truth is, people just like imports, they like butterfly doors, hondas with a lot of LED, big subs in the back, they don't care about trucks, and even if I leave the hood open, they don't see any LED, nothing shiny orange, blue, red so they just move on to the next car lol

I'm more focused on efficiency, so I always looks at engines, if I see a car with a stock engine I don't even spend time looking at it, but I do appreciate heavy mods.

My next project will be a car, not a 6200lbs truck..

The only issues that I've been having with my F150 is with aftermarket parts, the whole truck is actually very reliable, I can't complain here, as like anybody, I did a few mistake on some parts and combo, but I'm glad I didn't lose too much money and I learnt quite a bit

Feel free to criticize my mods or my choices, I'm always open to suggestions and improvements

Last edited by widj; 08-19-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:52 AM
12psi and frpp hotrods. Cams work just fine with my blower. No low end loss that I can tell and sweet idle. 86k miles on mine with 42k being superchargered and about 2k cammed. I don't fear the engine falling apart I fear my stock converter blowing up

Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM
to each their own.

if it is a daily driver, i have to have it to get to work, i really cant afford to put a new trans and motor in, then i stick to about 10 psi.

a 10 psi motor with a good tune should be a 200,000 mile motor, however i would probalby change oil every 3000 miles, that is me. however it blew at 100k i would not be shocked after all i modified the engine drastically increaing output by 40 to 60%, "for every action, there is a reaction"

to me oil analisys is kind of useless, if i was going to do it, for the reason of being consistant i would have started from day one to make sure something did happen that might cause it to spike.

if i can afford to spend the $7k to $8k to do the blower right, i would probalby get a new truck. i cant justify the money on a 8 to 10 year old truck.

look at the dodge hellcat motor and the gt500, both are in the 14 to 15 psi range and both have a factory built engine. the lightning and the GM blown 6.2 are lightly modified engines and run in the 8 to 10 psi range. this should tell you something.

to op, i would take it easy, change oil run it about 1000 miles then test oil again,

Quick Reply: Oil analysis