Stock head unit w/alpine KTP-445?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock head unit w/alpine KTP-445?

Is there any reason why you couldn't install one of the alpine inline power pack amps to a stock hu? I'm pretty sure they read and output the same voltage so i'm unsure why this wouldn't work just fine.

If the amp will wire up with a little bit of work then this could be a very good option for some of us who don't want to rewire for a 4 channel but want to have good sound with aftermarket speakers. I'm thinking i'll be the test subject if no one has a real reason why this won't work.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
So far the answer in no this won't work. I tried to wire it up but have no sound even though the stock radio power up fine and seems to function as normal. I tested this on cd as well as am/fm just to confirm.

Anyone have any ideas of why this would ****ion like this?
I'm wondering if the factory equipment outputs a different signal amount of type that the amp isn't picking up or if I just somehow wired it up wrong.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 AM
In theory it would work. Daggy, did you hook up the amp turn on to the power pack? Im pretty sure this is required to turn the thing on. Weve installed them on two kenwood radios with no issues.

Keep in mind that any modifications to the powerpack voids your warranty with alpine.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm unsure which wire the amp turn on is?

I tried to install it and the factory headunit powered up and seems to ****ion properly but I have no sound coming through the speakers. If I flip the high low switch on the bottom of the amp the speakers make a noise as it flips over.
I only have a few wires that I didn't find a spot for. The blue pwr ant wire, the blue remote wire and a yellowish/stripped wire. I tried to put power to both the ant and the remote wire but didn't have any luck making it produce sound. The amp gets a bit warm so I can tell it is on but doesn't get hot by any means.

I'm to the point where i'm wondering if the factory radio outputs the same wave or voltage or whatever that an aftermarket radio outputs?
Other then that maybe the wiring harness for the input isn't pinned correctly or something.
I have power/switched power/ground all powered and the speaker wires hooked up so this thing should work as far as I can tell.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 PM
the blue wire is the one i was referring too...it should go to a switched 12v source. Other then that its hard to say why its not working. As far as the outputs there should be no difference between stock/aftermarket.

Do you have a DMM?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 PM
DMM- Digital Multi Meter? If so yeah I own several of them. I usually use a fluke that can measure a lot of different things.

Well after reading what you wrote I went out and wired the 12v switched to the remote wire but nothing happened other then the radio didn't want to come on. It would read the time but when I tried to go to the radio it wouldn't. Hooking it back up the stock connector allows it to play as it should.

Do you have some good sources for factory wiring diagrams? Since I bought a male ford plug i'm wondering if the pins are incorrect for my truck/radio. I have a 08 screw with the basic radio.
Thanks for the help I was starting to wonder if anyone knew anything that could help.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:28 AM
at work we use Directechs database by DEI, but for obvious reasons I cant give any info off of that. When I post on here I ususally get my info from the database at www.the12volt.com.

Heres something to try to see if your deck is outputting correctly.

Set your DMM to AC volts. choose a speaker and place your positive lead on the positive speaker wire and your negative to negative. Start at the harness to the back of your deck. As your turn the volume up, the number on your DMM should go up. Move down the line to and do the same test your connections/power pack and at the opposite side. If its a signal issue that will tell you where its at.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Thats awesome I didn t even think about going about it that way. Willing to bet it stop in the amp for some reason. We tested this amp just to be sure it worked like it was supposed to.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 AM
resolution

Did anyone ever figure out if the ktp-445a can be used with the stock hu? It seems like with a male and female version of an alpine to 2013 f150 harness, it should plug and play. It makes sense that there would obviously be a female harness if you were hooking up an alpine radio to your f150. Is there a male harness for the other side? Can I cut/splice the input side of the ktp-445a to the factory harness behind the radio? Anyone have any success with this?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by StudmasterJ
Did anyone ever figure out if the ktp-445a can be used with the stock hu? It seems like with a male and female version of an alpine to 2013 f150 harness, it should plug and play. It makes sense that there would obviously be a female harness if you were hooking up an alpine radio to your f150. Is there a male harness for the other side? Can I cut/splice the input side of the ktp-445a to the factory harness behind the radio? Anyone have any success with this?
Look here: http://www.f150forum.com/f30/small-4...stalled-96750/

Old 10-27-2014, 11:30 AM
exactly what I was looking for

Thank you!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Alpine also makes a universal version of that amp, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP4...ck.html?tp=115 that doesn't have the alpine specific plugs on it. Over on Focus Fanatics there is a thread about doing the same thing, but they used a different harness.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=324097

When I was looking for the link for the amp, I found alpine now has a matching compact mono amp in case you want to add a small sub.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP1...ck.html?tp=115

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 10-28-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock head unit w/alpine KTP-445?