Rockford Fosgate Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockford Fosgate Speakers

Any opinions (good or bad) on 6x8 Rockford speakers? the guy at BB tried talking me into the T1682C two-way speakers (instead of 3 or 4 way speakers). They're more expensive than what I had originally planned, but sounded really good. We compared them to the 6x8 Alpine SPR-57LP and the RF had a lot more sound...and sounded even more crisp when amplified. Any suggestions or thoughts?

I going to replace the HU as well--still torn between a Pioneer and Alpine. I've been leaning toward the more power in the Pioneers but have been told there's not a noticeable difference between 22 Watts/RMS and 18 Watts RMS.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 PM
In my opinion you can't get any better than Fosgate PERIOD!
Here is the details on the system I installed in my F150 SuperCab.
I have a friend who owns a stereo shop and he allowed me to test several brands and products before making my choice.
I tested Alpine/Panasonic/Kenwood/JVC/ Pioneer/Sanyo.
Winner hands down was the Alpine CDA-9831. It isn't your standard head unit, it's a so called competition unit. Too many options to list with this unit. The runner up was the Panasonic believe it or not. The Alpine is extremely tweakable where others aren't. Has great pre-amp outputs (3). It is my understanding that Pioneer makes two versions of their head units. One line is for serious audiophiles and the other is for the ?-Mart's of the world and like. Here is the rundown of my system.
Alpine Head unit, 4 Fosgate 5.25" Fanatics driven by a Fosgate Punch P8004 amp (mids/hi's), 2 Fosgate Punch P2 10" subs driven by a Fosgate Punch P6001 mono amp. Sub's mounted in a composit enclosed box under rear seat. To finish it off 2 Fosgate wire kits. I am very please with this set up.
You should utilize the web and compare head units apples for apples. The Alpine cost me about $200 more than the Pioneer that was tested but it was well worth it. I have been to several audio shows and seems that there are a lot of Alpine units running. If you are really serious and don't care about the money, I would recommend the Infinity Kappa 5.25". Your gonna pay for them, but the quality is the proof.
Hope this was helpfull...

Thanks,
Dann'O

Old 03-03-2005, 04:38 PM
I had all my speakers replaced in my 98 150 with Rockfords 6X8's and my friends would admit the clarity was much better than their Alpines and Sony's, and I'm goin this week to replace the speakers in my 04 150 with Rockfords as well.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:16 PM
In my opinion, you can't miss with Fosgate! Good price and VERY good quality! Here is the details on my system and everyone says it R.O.C.K.S!
I have a friend that owns a stereo shop and he allowed me to test several different brands of speakers and head units (Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, Sony) and hands down the Alpine head unit won! It isn't the same version or quality you get in a department store it's more in the line of a competition unit (if there is such a thing). I have found that some brands offer the department stores a cheaper version for that reason, it's cheaper!
As the saying goes, sometimes cheaper isn't better! My unit was $425.00 retail (friend hooked me up though). So here's my details!!!

1998 F150 Extended Cab - Alpine Head unit CDA-9831, 4 Fosgate 5.25" Fanatics driven by a Fosgate Punch P8004 4 channel amp (mids/hi's), 2 Fosgate Punch P2 10" subs driven by a Fosgate Punch P6001 mono amp (low's). Sub's mounted in a composite enclosed box under rear seat. To finish it off 2 Fosgate wire kits. No x-over's was needed due to the combination of the chosen head unit and 4 channel amp. Kicks out a constant and consistant 109db. It isn't competition but darn close.

If I change anything I will change the 5.25" speakers out to Infinity Kappa's with the same amp choice as above!

Thanks,
Dann'o

Old 03-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback. Hopefully I will make a decision soon. After a little research and a recommendation from an installer, I'm also taking a look at some of the Polk DB series speakers. It looks like it will be between the Polk and Rockfords. I guess the search continues....

Still haven't decided on the deck. I've heard nothing but good things about Alpine, but some of there displays look so basic. I think either will push my new speakers to great sounding music!

Last edited by OffRoadLouKy; 03-04-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:26 PM
rockford is pretty good.. but i only go with their subs now. for my mids and highs i use Boston Acoustics.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:57 PM
20"SVT--where'd you get your grill? Is that the Harley grill? I know this is for a different forum, but I've been looking for something like that for my SCrew!

Old 03-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks again to everyone for their help! I ended up going with the Polk DB Series speakers in all four doors. Crutchfield had a good deal on these and I must say I am pleased with the results. These in combination with my new Alpine head unit make quite an improvement in my sound quality.

Now it's on to a new subwoofer. I thought about an amplified bass tube, but none fit under the rear seat of the SCrew. I've been looking at some of the boxes on supercrewsound.com and like the idea of tucking the sub behind my rear seat. Any suggestions? What works and sounds best? I'm just looking to add a little more "feeling" to my tunes. Not going into competition or wanting to crack my windows.

Last edited by OffRoadLouKy; 03-09-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Lou,
I have a 98 S-Crew and after deliberating on several different brands I decided to go with a Probox www.proboxrocks.com
They have several different styles to choose from and I purchased the version that houses two subs and fits nicely under the rear seat. It comes with all hardware to lift the seat and it is hardly noticeable, in fact it makes the rear look better with that empty space filled now. I was able to comfortably mount Two Fosgate 10" Punch P2's in it, down firing. Sounds real nice...
So check em out, it's worth the look!

Dann'O

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate Speakers