Sub Box, Why have subs facing the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sub Box, Why have subs facing the floor?

I have a '97 F150 4x4 extended cab. I would like to install one of the new sub boxes that are so popular right now. My question is, why are the speakers facing the floor on these boxes? if the speaker is against the floor how is this good? I mean I've never been to a concert, club or carshow where the sub faces are against the floor. Can someone please explain why all the box enclosures are made this way and how it is affective. thank you

Old 09-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Good question! Let me try on some BS, and see if it works...

Subs play LOW frequencies. Low frequencies are typically non-directional, so it really shouldn't matter... But it does make a difference, some hatchbacks, it is better to face the subs backwards too...

In our trucks I would imagine these subs fire downward for protection. If the sub was up-firing and your seat was folded up, what's protecting the woofer?

1 last thing, home theater subwoofers fire downward. I remember a Cerwin-Vega, and a JBL that were like that.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well they say firing the sub into a baffle can get you a 3 db. gain.
And like frostby said, low frequencies are undirectional, so you dont need them pointed towards you te hear them etc. Alot of people dont like the sound when a sub is fired directly at them. I preffer downfiring also because with some subs the cone will rattle a little and with a baffle you cant hear it.
Although some people DO preffer the sub aimed at them, but I dont know of many that do.

Another is protection from the speaker, and to keep it out of sight from thieves.

The reason you usually dont see subs firing into a baffle at car shows is so they can show off thier subs.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys for your posts

It makes sense to me now. But this raises additional questions.

Box "Porting". I see some boxes have ports buit into them and some that are totally sealed. What are the advantages/dissadvantages? Which one is better?

Additionally, some boxes have sealed chambers for both speakers, basically dividing the air. Other boxes have the speakers sharing the same volume of the sub box. Again which is better, seperate chambers for each speaker or sharing the box volume?

Thanks for your replies

Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, ported boxes give you more volume and boomier bass
Sealed doesnt give you the loudness of ported, but the bass is tighter and punchier.

I had 1 12 in a sealed box and put it in a ported box just a few days ago. WOW, huge difference.

Ported boxes also have to be bigger usually than sealed, and take a little more power.

As for the divider in a dual box, I have no idea what is better, but I always make a separate compartment for each sub.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Thank you for your replyBartak1

I think Ported sounds the way to go. I want a box for two 8". Like to try out those new RE 8's. A lot of good posts about those. How much would you recomend I push them with? AMP suggestions please. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Dad's Hoss
Thank you for your replyBartak1

I think Ported sounds the way to go. I want a box for two 8". Like to try out those new RE 8's. A lot of good posts about those. How much would you recomend I push them with? AMP suggestions please. Thanks in advance!

They work fine with as little a 75 watts and as much as 200 watts.
If you are buying one just go with around 150 to 175 watts each. 175 watts is the RE8's RMS.

Old 09-26-2004, 03:43 PM
I guess what Dupuis said. He has a pair of them.

As for an amp, I have a Rockford 301S amp(300x1rms into 4 ohms) which I think is a pretty good amp. Its been discontinued i think and replaced with the 3001. I got mine for 170, you might be able to find a left over one cheap. Ive had it for about a year and no problems.
Also, just yesterday my buddy got 2 12's with a 320 watt amp. The sub and amp are both Total (thats the brand, they are made by the same company that makes JL) and I dont know if its the subs or the amp, but DAMN, it pounds for only 160 watts going to each sub. The amp cost him right around 200. Sounds pretty nice too.
So there are a few amp options for ya.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Subwoofer Enclosures

All enclosure are good but there is one type that I'm fond of. That is the bandpass box. The woofers are inside a double chambered box xo they are totaly protected. The frequency response is better than any other enclosure for the reason that the size of the sub will dive deeper than it would in a sealed or ported box. Also in this type of enclosure the sub will handle more power. Give one a try, it is my choice.

Old 09-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks to all of you for your posts!

Looks like I have a few options. I definately want those RE 8's though. I'll look for a decent amp 175 watts. I am still deciding on which manufacturer to go with for the under the seat box (I have an extended cab, third door option).

I would like to see some pics of your set ups too! thanks again

Quick Reply: Sub Box, Why have subs facing the floor?