Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Raptor engine swap vs GVWR

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raptor engine swap vs GVWR

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Nice! I want to do the Raptor wheel too. I get Ford parts at cost and it's still close to 4 bills. I'll have to save my pennies and maybe do it next spring.
How much would the Raptor motor and new trans run? I'm thinking of doing a swap on my truck later on in the future. The lariats came with a 6.2 and it would up my gcwr by 1700 around there of. Appreciate it! Btw almost 2 years and just about 22,500. Love my HD 150

Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The lariats came with a 6.2 and it would up my gcwr by 1700 around there of.
Nope, you can't increase any load ratings with an engine/trans change.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Nope, you can't increase any load ratings with an engine/trans change.
And why is that? I can haul more than a lariat. All brake rotors are the same. Trans is the same. My payload is more than a lariat. My load ratings exceed the lariats, it's the towing that I'm talking about and that is reflective of the power plant.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RSTHD150
And why is that? I can haul more than a lariat. All brake rotors are the same. Trans is the same. My payload is more than a lariat. My load ratings exceed the lariats, it's the towing that I'm talking about and that is reflective of the power plant.
In a nutshell, the truck is rated for "X" lbs of payload and towing capacity, including it's own weight. Higher trim levels like a lariat or platinum typically weigh more than an XL or STX. The increased weight reduces the rated payload and towing of truck.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
In a nutshell, the truck is rated for "X" lbs of payload and towing capacity, including it's own weight. Higher trim levels like a lariat or platinum typically weigh more than an XL or STX. The increased weight reduces the rated payload and towing of truck.
I don't disagree with that. However all of our rolling chassis are the same as far as brakes, calipers, transmissions, transmission gears. Axle codes are the only difference. Being that I have the HD PAYLOAD, I can haul more than anyone else's truck on this site in the bed. Now with that being said, the same setup truck with a 6.2L 4x4 SCREW with 3.73 can tow 17,100 while I'm limited to 15,300. I know my payload does not change but it allows me more performance for hauling and a little more for towing. How is it that I don't have all of the electronic technology (nav, dual climate control etc) my truck weighs less than upper models, that upgrading my engine to the 6.2L won't allow me to haul more. I would love to know why, because I've had 2 Master ASE CERT Ford Mechanics tell me it would.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:48 PM
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=432091888&zip=93536 &endYear=2014&pageLayout=list&keywordPhrases=6.2L& keywords=6.2L&sortBy=distanceASC&startYear=2010&se archRadius=0&mmt=%5BFORD%5BF150PICKUP%5BF150PICKUP %7CXLT%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D

This truck is the exact same that I have as far as wheel base and body style. Same technology package but has 6 lug instead of 7.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:49 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Legally, you can't change the ratings from its as-built configuration.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM
If you are running that close to gross, you need a bigger truck to be safe. Maybe OK for across town, but me, personally, would never run very far that close to gross. If something were to happen it could be bad for all involved. I work in risk management, and that is a awful risk to take for less than 2k of load capacity. Any good lawyer will make mincemeat of your life if [god forbid] something were to happen.

Time to step up to a bigger truck to move that much trailer on a regular basis. Your 150 might be capable of it, but the extra wear and tear will seriously shorten the life of the truck.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 AM
Extra wear and tear? If you bothered looking at above post FORD MAKES THIS TRUCK. All of our trucks have the same rolling chassis, the only difference is the rear end ring and pinion and the spring/shock combo.There is nothing wrong with running close to the gvwr or gcwr rating because that is what the truck is designed to do. Everything that is certified for weights and measures has to be designed @ 125% FYI, because some people don't know x or y limits. Load capacity? I am not talking about load capacity because I have a HD 150 with the 2300# payload rating, there is a model similar that has more GCWR, more towing that is and that's the model referenced above. There is no extra wear and tear because ford has designed a truck to do this, reference truck above

Last edited by RSTHD150; 07-25-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:48 PM
As stated, you can't actually change the rating of your truck by changing the engine. Any enforcement officer is going to go by the sticker on your door (for GCWR and payload ratings). The cost of buying and swapping engines, the harness as well as any programming changes of the ECM/TCM are pretty prohibitive. You're talking 8 grand just for a long-block.

According to the towing guide for 2014's below, the max any combo can pull is 11,300lbs. The highest GCWR is the same between the Eco and the 6.2.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...F150_Sep11.pdf

Buy the truck that you want. The 6.2 was common in the HD and Limited. They are also around in the trucks that meet the numbers you want to pull. I actually saw one identical to mine with a 6.2. It had max tow and HD payload. It was very nice.

In the end though, it's your money. Personally, I don't give a hoot what a ASE certified mechanic says as I know a dozen really good ones. The issue is when you get pulled over, you will be easy fodder for a ticket. Sometimes it's not just a ticket as you may be deemed to be pulling an unsafe load and will have your trailer towed by a tow truck to the nearest impound lot.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can haul whatever you feel you are comfortable with.. Put whatever motor you want in whatever vehicle you want and enjoy..

GCWR means NOTHING in terms of what your truck is registered to haul and what may or may not it's capable of hauling..

The 6.2 has no more "tow rating" than the Eco boost... Go figure..

Hell, an effing Yota towed the Space Shuttle and I'll bet that exceeded the GCWR of an effing Yota.. ha, ha!

Pop that 6.2 in and have a blast.. Tow what you want and if you are good with it, who cares what anyone says??

Good luck!

Mitch

Quick Reply: Raptor engine swap vs GVWR