Lightning

Transgo shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2000, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Transgo shift kit

Has anybody tried this kit? It comes with an installation video and says a novice can install in 1 day. Costs about $100 plus delivery. Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

Old 03-14-2000, 10:30 PM
Thumbs up

It works great, and is adjustable.
You might want to add a Tranny pan & filter from a F-250/350, 4x4 SD/Powerstroke. It has extra oil capacity and a drian plug

------------------
JIGAWATT SVT#2698
N.L.O.C. Member
4:10's
Bassani kit
TransGo shift kit
AIM 2 inch drop shackle

Old 03-15-2000, 12:43 AM
JIGAWATT,

Do you have a chip by any chance? If so, does it only change some of the engine management functions, while your TransGo shift kit controls the trans shift firmness?

I'm just wondering with all this discussion on shift kits (TransGo, Interceptor, etc), how one would go about mixing one of them with a reprogrammed EPROM.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fsT/index.html

Old 03-15-2000, 08:57 PM
Smile

Wes:
So, you understand the difference between the electronic shift kit and valve body shift kit:
Electronic kits or chips can controll line pressure, shift points, and converter lockup. Chips or interceptors convert electric signal to maximize line pressure. This gives a firmer shift. With shift points, they can be raised or lowered to any rpm/speed that you'd like. The same goes with torque converter lockup.

Valve body shift kit: Springs, seperator plate, valves. These kits require that you remove the valve body from the transmission. Most kits will increase line pressure for firmer shifts. Better kits will give you springs and valves (where nessessary). This will not only increase shift firmness, but shift timing. This is the overlap time between two clutches being engaged and disengaged. What this feels like is the truck starts to shift, you will feel a lag, then the next gear applied, and then excelleration again. With a shift kit it gets rid of this lag time. And, will help with alleviating internal transmission bindup. (chips can get rid of engine timing retard that the factory has put in, but not the lag between gears).

On my L, I started with transgo shift kit and adjusted it to what I prefer(there's a chart to go by in the kit). I do have a chip and in stock mode, the transmission is not effected. In performance mode, I do have line pressure increased so I get maximum shift performance for performance driving.

Hopefully, this will help you understand the differences between the two kits.
Kevin

------------------
JIGAWATT SVT#2698
N.L.O.C. Member
4:10's
Bassani kit
TransGo shift kit
AIM 2 inch drop shackle

Old 03-16-2000, 12:40 AM
Thumbs up

Jigawatt,

Thank you for the explanation. I do understand the differences b/w the two. I probably wasn't making myself very clear with my question, though.

If the modified valve body (TransGo shift kit)increases line pressure AND the chip in performance mode increases line pressure electronically... my question is how well do they work together? Can this cause problems? I've always thought (and could be wrong!) that you should have one or the other, but the two together could create some issues. Am I making sense? Increasing line pressure via the valve body modifications AND the electronics...can this cause any harm?

Thanks for your patience and more clarification if you can give me any.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO

Old 03-16-2000, 08:32 PM
Thumbs up

WES:

They work GREAT as a combo, and yes you should do both. At the least do one, this is a must do for this tranny. With all the heat that is built up in this unit, you should make this "combo" Job 1.

I have not had any problem's doing both. In the past,every shift kit I have done has you adjust the TV cable or vacuum modulator along with the kit. This would be the same thing as your chip guy adding voltage to the TPS signal, for the tranny's line pressure.

Kevin

Old 03-17-2000, 12:27 AM
SVT
How is the warranty affected with the intallation of the Trans-Go kit?

Old 03-17-2000, 01:15 AM
Talking

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I have a Superchip that I'm very happy with, but if a shift-kit will improve the shifts even more _and_ help the trans last longer, then I will definitely have to look into it.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO

Old 03-17-2000, 09:06 AM
that's why i tried the interceptor contraption first, it's plug and play thing. i would be very worried about a transgo, on this morphed tranny, for warrenty reasons. i have had over a dozen ford trannys replaced in the last 10yrs on 150/250/SD's under warrenty. my dealer "never" tries to diagnose them either. always a new tranny. i imagine these go back to ford for a "look-see", and i'm sure they would catch the shift kit thing. tranny's have been the weak link for me, so i'm a little gun shy.

Old 03-17-2000, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the word of warning.

I have only had two auto trans vehicles (not counting the SHO, that's my wife's car). One was a '94 L and now this '99 L. So, I'm not the most familiar with their reliability.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO

Old 03-17-2000, 10:26 PM
Sal is a level 10 dealer now. I had this shift kit installed and recommend highly.
Truck shifts smoothly with normal driving,awesome at WOT.

Wes, I had some of same concerns & I'm e-mailed and talked to Sal extensively on several mods (always nervous when touching the Lightning as I drive it daily). I'm convinced that it would be worth your while to get in touch with Sal.
Jim

------------------
99 lightning
red,snuglid
13.61 best with chip
bassini
build date 4/14/99

Old 03-17-2000, 10:48 PM
I think there still might be some comfusion as to what is going on with shift kits.

Chips will take care of the solenoid body assembly. In this, this tells throttle position and load of vehicle; more load, add more pressure to the accumulator valve body.

Valve body shift kits take care of Main Regulator Valve. This is seperate from the SBA, but they do work in conjunction with each other. In other words, valve body shift kits is your main line fluid flow and a chip will take care of secondary (demand by throttle) fluid flow.

These are not 100% correct terms, but the principle is the same for all.

To ease some of the worry of warrenty issues, this kit (Transgo) is 100% removable so nobody knows. But, with a properly installed kit, you will increase the life of your transmission by far.

To give you an idea of some tests that have been done with shift kits and the addition of bearings in place of thrush washers: ATO performance transmissions has seen typical fluid temperatures running between 225-250 degrees cut down to 140-145 under the same test conditions.

BBQ: Yes, I have burned up and have rebuilt/modified many of the early model E4OD's. In the last few years, they have come a long way in duribility. I believe, strongly, that a shift kit helps these tranny's survive punishing conditions. One of my E4's that was toast, I rebuilt with updated SBA and a shift kit is back in the same rig (460 4x4 tow rig) and has out milaged the origional and is still going strong. So, I guess my point that I'm trying to get acrossed is a little preventative (shift kit) will help see that the tranny stays in your L and not on the shop floor.

Kevin

Old 03-17-2000, 10:59 PM
Kevin,
Thanks for clearing that up. What`s your opinion on running synthetic lube in these trannys? Do you happen to know the part# for the Trans go Kit? Thanks for the tech.

Spiro

Old 03-17-2000, 11:24 PM
Jigawatt, i agree with you on shift kits. i have installed them myself and they do everything you say they do. Ford does not agree. if they find any mods to the tranny, it's your bill, not theirs. the ford tranny's have come a long way, but they are not there yet. 99 PSD, new tranny at 17K, 97 PSD, new tranny at 30K. my dealer keeps all ford trannys in stock, so they can swap them out "same day". my L is going to have to suffer the 36K std warranty b4 the real shift kit goes in

Old 03-17-2000, 11:32 PM
Cool

Spiro:

The part number that I used E40D-HD2-D. This is considered professional kit (in other words, it did not come with an instructional video and VB gaskets). As a professional tranny builder, I'm supposed to have these on hand. To order the gaskets, I believe you can use the other TransCo (I think). They both one and the same, TransGo and TransCo. Something like that, it's goofy!

I think I have one of those instructional videos laying around somewhere if you, or someone else needs it and I can find it.

I can't give recomendation for level 10 because I have not personally used them. But, I would not knock them either. I just don't know of their product.

Synthetic Lube: If I tell you what I do, I know everyone will freak out!! A cheap way to do it is when you dump your old fluid out and it's time to refill, add up to 5 quarts of full synthetic motor oil any weight. What this does is boost standard oil boiling point and lube index for a lot less money that putting 16 quarts of synthetic ATF at $4.50 a quart. Trick of the trade, you didn't hear it from me! I told you you'd freak and I'm sure there will be many coments after this

Quick Reply: Transgo shift kit