Autopia Car Care Guide to Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autopia Car Care Guide to Detailing

Has anybody downloaded this program from them? It's only $10.00 and you can download it instantly from their site. If it has some really good tips and tricks it would be worth it, but if it's just covering the basics, I feel I already have that knowledge. It can be found at:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/index.html

Old 05-26-2002, 02:14 PM
They've succumbed to marketing and commercialization -- which they've a right to do. It used to be a neat free site, full of articles, How-To's, Tips and Tricks. The information exists elsewhere. I personally wouldn't spend the money. The site offered good information, but not THAT good.

Old 05-26-2002, 09:55 PM
I beg to differ...while I am new here, I post there also and have shared a lot of information and gotten a lot of information! It's one website that has a forum that respects other's opinions!

As for getting information elsewhere, you can pay $10 for Autopia's info, or you can spend anywhere from $15to $30 at Barnes and Noble, Amazon .com, etc.

The difference is that at Autopia, like here, you have a group of enthusiasts that are really passionate about their vehicles!

Old 05-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Well, you can differ all you like, Gonzo. That's what a forum is all about. Opinions vary. I'm sure their Forums are as informative about detailing as F150online is to our community and I'm glad you are finding positive use there as well. My point, not incorrect, is that Autopia used to be a free site, full of articles I could read at leisure. Not anymore. This same information is available -- free -- elsewhere, and I would not send any money to Autopia when I can obtain that same info without charge. I never said a word about spending money at Amazon or Barnes/Noble for Yet Another Detailing Guide. Besides, I've learned more from the forum in our own community here than I did at Autopia. Chill, brother.

Old 05-27-2002, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason autopia has to become slightly commercialized is because so many people are starting to use it. His bandwidth charges have gone up greatly and he was losing a lot of money where as before he was just breaking even at the end of each month.

Would you keep a site running if you were losing money on it? I don't think so.

Still, I haven't read the book but I have read the first 8 chapters. It seems to cover a lot of the basic information. If you have no clue about detailing, then get the book. If you already know a little, then you don't need to book. The book covers the absolute basics.

Old 05-27-2002, 07:17 AM
Thank you, Intel. I rest my case. And I say again, Autopia had a perfect right to "go commercial" for whatever reason (or for NO reason!). Bidness is Bidness. And long live the free forum and exchange of ideas!

Old 05-28-2002, 09:29 AM
The Autopia forum is an excellant resource for detailing. I've found answers to every question I've ever had about detailing my truck. It is my second stop, after this site of course , after I log on.

BOB

Old 05-28-2002, 10:21 AM
I bought the detailing guide for $10. Some of the stuff I already knew, some I didn't. One reason I didn't have a problem with spending the $$ was that it helps support the site, much like buying stuff from the store here. Besides, you can still get a wealth of info for free, all you have to do is post the question...

Quick Reply: Autopia Car Care Guide to Detailing