magnuson eaton superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2000, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question magnuson eaton superchargers

i was looking at superchargers.i want power down low like 2000 rpm and down for pulling.i thing the eaton is the way i'm going to go.anybody that was one ,what is the boots at 1500 rpms and 2000rpms.does your truck clime hills with out kicking down now or not as much.did you lose any mpg.or did it help out the mpg.and did you put it on yourself.how long did it take if you did it yourself.is fast like the lightning

Old 03-28-2000, 01:24 PM
I do not think anyone on this board has one. I hope to be the first, so I can answer some of these questions for myself, first hand.

The Allen literature states the M90 gives full boost at 1800RPM.

Magnacharger graphs indicate 490ft/lbs at 1000RPM, and 240rwhp at 5000RPM for the 4.6L Automatic.

Drop me a line for more information.

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

Where we started.
After a facelift.
A 2" drop!

F-150online Photo Album

trixters-playground@excite.com
Truckin' Magazine!

Old 04-22-2000, 07:01 AM
Question

Crash..Hi! I was wondering if you have installed the magnason as of yet?

I called Kenny Brown, here locally, and they are offering the SC kit now. Brian told me that the just got done installing one in a, believe '00 Expy. He said it was a very nice setup. I like the fact that its "intercooled" and he said that it will help considerably. He quoted me that the setup is $3500 + $750 install, which includes dyno runs and replacement of sparkplugs. I'm planning on adding a boost & fuel pressure gage also. Any replies would be appreciated, Thanks!!

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard
Manik Grill and Rear Tail Guards
PIAA Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper Inserts

Have, but not installed...

75mm Edelbrock TB
JBA Black Coat Ceramic Headers

Coming Soon...

Supercharger

"Its Sooo Big...Shes Gotta to be Blown!"

[This message has been edited by Way2Big (edited 04-22-2000).]

Old 04-23-2000, 11:30 AM
Thumbs up

I intend to purchase the kit mid-spring, and I will install it the next weekend. Dallas Mustang Parts will dyno test before and after.

Myself, Mumbly, Blackhawk, Mudder and BIG ED plan to get a photoshoot of the install. We usually get together and make a day of it.

I have the same question floating around in my head. My 5-speed is already pretty quick, and I think it will be REAL quick. Even if I can't beat a Lightning, it will be a blast to spank the local Mustangs and Camaros.

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

Where we started.
After a facelift.
A 2" drop!

F-150online Photo Album

Truckin' Magazine!

[This message has been edited by crash1 (edited 04-23-2000).]

Old 04-23-2000, 08:03 PM
Thumbs up

Crash1,

Thanks for your reply! I was wondering, was the fact that it was intercooled the main reason for choosing the Magnason? Also, is there anything that you can suggest that I may need besides whats in my signature? I also need to add a Pro M 77mm MAF to the SC purchase. Thanks again!!

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard
Manik Grill and Rear Tail Guards
PIAA Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper Inserts

Have, but not installed...

75mm Edelbrock TB
JBA Jet Black Ceramic Headers

Coming Soon...

Supercharger
Boost & Fuel pressure guages

"Its Sooo Big...Shes Gotta to be Blown!"

Old 04-24-2000, 12:11 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Crash1,

How is your clutch holding out? Do you still have the OEM?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
Borla Cat Back
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 06-11-2000, 06:18 PM
Cool

Here is the Magnacharger exploded view. This kit is installed as an assembly.
(F-150)

Here is the Allen kit prior to assembly.
(Mustang, T-Bird, Crown Vic)

So far so good on the clutch, JMC. OEM, for now...

------------------
'98 4.6 5-speed
BASICALLY STOCK

Where we started.
After a facelift.
Latest MOD!

F-150online Photo Album
crash@f150fanatic.com

MAGNACHARGER
ALLEN

[This message has been edited by crash1 (edited 06-12-2000).]

Old 06-12-2000, 12:16 AM
Kevin 3636

I have a magnacharger on my 97 5.4 and there is an awesome difference. No it does not down shift as much and the fuel mileage is only worse if you have your foot in the throttle. I have a company vehicle, so I worked on mine after work and I would say you should give your self the weekend to install it (approx. 14 hours). The instructions say you can re-use the intake gaskets, mine tore and the dealer had to order them, so I would plan ahead and just replace them for about $20. I get 5lbs of boost at 6k ft above sea level. Chris at Magnuson said that they are about 5.5lbs at sealevel. I do get the full 5 at 1500 rpm. The truck is faster but you notice much more torque.

Old 06-12-2000, 06:15 AM
Thumbs up

i am going with a powerdyne supercharger.it should be here this week .i think since i put the superchip in i have all the power i need down low.i like to go uo hills at 80mph with a load in the back.so the rpms a up to get the boost i want.and for $2000 for it is not to bad for 80 to 90 hp and 110 to 120 LB at the rear wheels.thats 35% on the hp and 40% on the LB.thoes are round a bout numbers.since i have headers,exhaust,and t-body spacer it should give me more then a stock dyno truck.35% and 40% on stock it good, but 35% and 40% should be more with some mods.i will have more power to start with.when i get it on i will post something.i am going to try to get it dyno befor i do it.so i may have some dyno numbers.

Old 06-12-2000, 11:04 AM
Lightbulb

kevin3636 (and anyone else for that matter),

Keep in mind, that's 80 to 90 hp at or above 5000 rpm. Horsepower gains below that rpm will be less. There's nothing wrong with that if that's where you want your power. And actually, any blower you install will give you the greatest gains at peak or near peak rpm's. I think a lot of people get turned on by the *maximum* horsepower figures that the perfomance accessory manufacturers wave in front of our faces. And in turn we are sort of blinded to the amount of horsepower and torque gains that we will actually experience or *feel* most of the time in a daily driver vehicle. By that I mean, the VAST majority of the time we are not pushing our vehicles into the upper rpm ranges and will very seldom get to feel that maximum horsepower figure. It's only my opinion but, I think a person should pay attention to the tach while driving before purchasing any performance accessory and lean towards items that will give the greatest gains in the rpm ranges you spend most of your time driving. If you can obtain dyno charts for the item you're thinking of purchasing (preferably from a independant source) focus on the gains your engine will see in the rpm ranges that *you* spend most of your time driving. I realize everyone wants the most bang for the buck. But if you rarely feel the bang, you just lost your buck! If you make your purchases based on this viewpoint, I'll bet you will have a much bigger smile on your face when you step on the go pedal.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, Airaid, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door and a lot more power. I think I need to talk to Mr. Whipple.

Old 06-12-2000, 01:45 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Remember guys, with the stock intake, you are coming OUT of the powerband at 5000 RPM. At 1500 RPM, hitting full boost going INTO the powerband is what *I* am looking for.

Something else- When launching a 4600 LB truck, I am pushing for more TORQUE. Or should I say, more torque will be pushing ME!

Old 06-12-2000, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 98fword,

You make an absolutely *excellent* point about peak power gain numbers.

For all of us in the aftermarket, it's the peak hp number that gets everyone's attention, no 2 ways about it. Most everyone is shooting for a particular hp number they want (or sometimes only wish) their vehicle to have, or be capable of, and so approach all their mods in that frame of reference.

For these heavy vehicles, it is torque in the low to mid rpm ranges that gives the best overall "feel", and high-rpm horsepower is something altogether different, you are quite right. Most people do not spend much time at WOT, or in the upper rpm ranges, in these vehicles. Yes, some do, and we know that there are a number of F-150 owners who are really into drag racing, etc. but most of these trucks are driven by people who want a truck for towing, a work truck, a camper, etc., the more "classic" truck uses, for lack of a better term.

For some people, going with the generally more expensive Roots-type (positive displacment, or twin-screw) supercharger, with it's torque advantage down below 2500 rpms is the way to go, especially if towing heavy loads.

However, we have manufacturers like Powerdyne, who makes great peak power gains, offering kits for roughly about half the price of the twin-screw Eaton superchargers. Of course you get what you pay for, at best, in this world, but I do have to say that there are a *lot* of happy Powerdyne owners out there, just as their are many happy Eaton supercharger owners.

Sometimes it's very hard to justify spending twice as much money, or very close to it, to get the same total peak horsepower gain, just to have the additional torque below 2500 rpm. It all depends on your priorities, and your budget.

Both schools of thought are valid, most certainly.

Thanks for making the point about looking at what's happening across the entire power band, and not just focusing strictly on the peak hp gain at high rpms, very good point!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 06-13-2000, 04:22 AM
YES I NO THAT THE POWER IS IN THE UPPER RPMs. I AM HAPPY WITH MY LOW END RIGHT NOW.I JUST WANT IT FOR WHEN I WANT TO PASS AND RACE AND TOW.WHEN I TOW I AM AT 3000 AND UP ON THE RPM,THE TRUCK DOES FINE AT THIS RPM TILL YOU COME TO A HILL THEN THATS WHEN I GO INTO THE UPPER RPMS.THAT WERE I NEED THE POWER.THE STOCK POWER ON A 4.6 IS ALL AT THE UPPER RPMS.THE lb IS DOWN LOWER THEN THE HP.WHEN YOU ADD HEADDER THE TRUCK TOWS BETTER AND DRIVES BETTER TO.15 HP IS NOT THAT MUCH AND IT IS MORE IN THE UPPER RPM,BUT THAT 8 OR 10 HP AT 2500 MAKES A DIFF. IN THE POWER.I MAY ONLY GET 40 OR 50 HP AT 3000 RPM, BUT THATS BETTER THAN WHAT I HAD.I THINK THAT IT SHOULD DO ME FINE.SOME PEOPLE NEED THAT LOW END LB.TRUCKS HAVE A HARD TIME NOT BRAKEING GRIP.SO THE MORE LOW END YOU HAVE THE MORE TIME YOU SIT AT THE LIGHT+ I HAVE OFF ROAD TIERS,NOT SPORT TIRES,THEY DON'T GRIP LIKE THE SPORTS DO.SO I NEED IT IN THE UPPER RPM.IT'S COOL TO SEE THE SMOKE ROLL OFF TIRES,BUT THAT MEANES THAT YOU A NOT MOVING AS FAST AS YOU COULD BE IF YOU HAD THE GRIP.IF THE SVT F150 COULD KEEP FROM SPINING OUT IT COULD GO FASTER.

Old 06-13-2000, 07:52 AM
Uh.........OK

Good luck!

Let us know what you think about the blower after driving the truck for a while.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, Airaid, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door and a lot more power. I think I need to talk to Mr. Whipple.

Old 06-14-2000, 12:33 AM
kevin 3636:
You will be happy with the Powerdyne. I have one installed on my truck and it provides plenty of usable power down low. I should know I have to pull a 5500lbs boat with my truck and with out the supercharger it has a hard time.

I can also beat RICEBOYs now to...

------------------
97 XLT 4.6L SC 4X4 ORP Gibson Catback
JBA Headers.. Hot Coated
Ford Motorsport 9MM wires
SuperChip In Dry-dock
Supercharged
JLL Stealthbox
Rockford Fosgate punch 45 to drive stealthbox

[This message has been edited by Gorp (edited 06-13-2000).]

Quick Reply: magnuson eaton superchargers