Lightning

Anyone have any experience with Synthetic Trans. fliud??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Synthetic Trans. fliud??

Man, I'm apprehensive/gun shy about posting this question but want the 'best' for my L. I have decades of experience with syn. eng. oil but not trans. oil. Any stories, recommendations, etc. are welcome.....

Thanks, Dan

Old 08-21-2001, 03:03 PM
DB
That's a great question, and I'm not sure if it's better or not either, although I would like to know as I will be installing the JDM line mod valve shortly.

Old 08-21-2001, 03:19 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
jury's still out

Some folks have opted to switch to synthetic. One of them races every weekend and drives it daily with no problems. I'll let him identify himself though.

Unless your planning on having the ENTIRE tranny flushed, stick with Mercon III as identified in the manual.

DO NOT mix synthetic and regular Mercon III.

Just my .02.

Either way, swap to a pan with a drain plug.

Old 08-21-2001, 03:21 PM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
A lot of dealers and/or oil servicing companies now have the tech tranny lube swapper. It pulls yours out while putting in fresh lube. It works great! Complete exchange.

BfB

Old 08-21-2001, 03:29 PM
Drain the bell and fill up with MERCRON V which is semi-synthetic. No one runs their L harder than me and it runs greatttttttttt!!!! I changed at 25K, got 47K now runs like new, races every Friday nite. Won First place in Street Stock 2 out of the last 3 weeks.
noelvm

Last edited by noelvm; 09-27-2001 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:37 PM
dp

Last edited by noelvm; 08-21-2001 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:00 PM
had mine changed at 20K with syn. and is a daily driver, with lots of miles daily, currently at 23K and no problems or quirks, all looks great to me, and also run a chip..

jim

Old 08-21-2001, 07:27 PM
i switched to amsoil synthetic ATF at 3000 miles, i had the pump done and here are some things to consider

it only does 85% of the fluid
when the tech put the hoses on, and started pumping, the hose sucking out the old fluid popped off and sprayed my entire motor, and front of the truck with hot *** ATF, some even got on me in the waiting area, talk about sucking ***, i got a ride home and told them to call me when my truck was spotless, the did, i went back to get it, the didnt charge me the 80 bucks and offered to pay for a complete detail enen though they already spent 3 hours cleaning it, so i did that a week later, so the dirt could stick to the oily parts, and now you cant even tell it happened, all in all i would have rather paid

Old 08-21-2001, 07:36 PM
BfB
Originally posted by L-MATT
i switched to amsoil synthetic ATF at 3000 miles, i had the pump done and here are some things to consider

it only does 85% of the fluid
That's why you bring in 2 to 3 more quarts and INSIST that they push that much more through so you will get a complete change out.

Remember, they do not stock the "good" stuff, so you will have to go buy your own synthetic ATF. Some may do that now, though. The only 2 manufacturers that I'd trust on the shelf is Mobil 1 and Syntec.

BfB

Old 08-21-2001, 07:53 PM
i dont see how the tranny could have held any more, as much as was on my truck

Old 08-21-2001, 09:32 PM
Sorry noelvm, don't mean to step on your toes OK. Peace.

LIGHTNINROD, Don't use Mercon V in your Lightning. It is not the correct ATF fluid for the 99, 00, and 01 L's.

The Lightning requires Mercon ATF fluid. Look in your Lightning owners supplement. It tells you that Mercon and Mercon V are not interchangable and should not be mixed. It also says explicitly that the Lightning requires Mercon (not Mercon V, they are not the same thing) ATF fluid.

You can use Mobil 1 ATF or another synthetic ATF fluid that is ok to use in Ford Mercon applications. The data sheet for Mobil 1 ATF says: Outperforms conventional multipurpose ATF fluids Superior GM Dexron® III, Mercon® performance in all domestic and imported cars and most automatic truck transmissions

I know noelvm uses Mercon V without problems, but if the manual says not to use it, why take that chance. There is a reason that your Lightning manual says MERCON.

Last edited by mracer; 08-21-2001 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:43 PM
NOSTROMO
I do believe "Mercon" is old stuff and indeed cannot be mixed. Mercon three was used for newer electronic transmissions. (correct me if i am wrong on this one)

My owners manual specifically states Mercon 5 as i just did a shift kit and trans pan this weekend.I used Valvoline synthetic atf and should be fine.

Just a note.....the service manual states that when draining the torque convertor, you should discard the plug and install a new one.

Anthony

Old 08-22-2001, 12:10 AM
BfB
Originally posted by NOSTROMO
My owners manual specifically states Mercon 5 as i just did a shift kit and trans pan this weekend.I used Valvoline synthetic atf and should be fine.
Which manual are you reading?

DO NOT USE MERCON V in your Lightnings!

BfB

Old 08-22-2001, 12:16 AM
NOSTROMO
The label states :

DuraBlend® Dexron III®/Mercon®/Mercon V® Automatic Transmission Fluid

A premium quality synthetic blend automatic transmission fluid engineered to meet manufacturer`s warranty requirements for General Motors DEXRON III and Ford MERCON and MERCON V specifications. It is formulated to provide performance benefits over conventional type ATF fluids including:

Better flow properties for smooth shifting performance
Superior high and low temperature protection for extreme operating conditions
Superior oxidation protection (resists thickening at high temperatures)
Enhanced anti-shudder protection
DuraBlend ATF is compatible with conventional ATF fluids and is recommended for passenger and commercial vehicles requiring the following fluids/specifications:

General Motors DEXRON III, DEXRON III-G, DEXRON IIE and DEXRON
Ford MERCON and MERCON V
Meets Allison C-4 fluid specifications

Old 08-22-2001, 12:24 AM
BfB
I've talked to someone who is intimately familiar with these transmissions and here's his explaination to why someone have found Mercon V fluid when they sent in tranny fluid to be analyzed:
"The correct fluid is Mercon. At the factory we use "H oil" which is a special break in oil not available commercially. At the factory, we also build the 4R70, which gets "B oil" the equivalent of H oil for Mercon V, and there is a tolerance for the two being mixed in the transfer system, (we get it by the railcar, and sometimes the two get cross contaminated). Anyhow, it is possible that some Mercon V could be in a 4R100, and up to the given spec that's okay, but the service fluid is definitely Mercon, and Mercon V should not be used."
From: https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/014028.html

I highly suggest reading that as it explains why not to use Mercon V.

BfB

Quick Reply: Anyone have any experience with Synthetic Trans. fliud??