Lightning

Water Wetter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-1999, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Water Wetter?

I think this was discussed before but can't find it.

Can Water Wetter be put into the Intercooler too? Recommended? Anyone else done it? Does it help any?

Whew! All those questions

TIA...

------------------
| '99 White Lightning + SuperChip
| '97 F-150 XLT (for sale)
| '99 Grand Prix GTP (gathering dust)
| '98 Grand AM GT (for the lady)

Old 09-08-1999, 08:11 PM
The answer is a (qualified) "yes" to all of your questions. See this Red Line Water Wetter link for detailed answers:
http://www.redlineoil.com/wwti.htm

Mike Philpott
'99.5 Black Lightning

Old 09-09-1999, 03:26 AM
PFA
Will it void our warranty?

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Best ET-14.18
Superchip on its way!

Old 09-09-1999, 02:31 PM
Well, in my opinion, it shouldn't. Especially if you just add a bottle to the factory coolant. Of course, while this approach keeps the factory antifreeze and anti-corrosion properties in tact, and thus shouldn't create any warranty problems, it also minimizes the additional cooling advantages of the WaterWetter. This approach will still reduce temps versus not using WaterWetter, but is not as efficient as it could be.

On the other hand, if you drain all the factory coolant out and replace it with a combination of distilled water and WaterWetter, the cooling will be maximized but at the expense of freeze protection. While this maximizes the efficiency of the WaterWetter, I can see where this approach might have the potential for warranty headaches if any associated engine problems (e.g. the block cracks during the first big freeze, etc.) should develop. (Of course, you could just drain it and refill with antifreeze before you tow it into the dealer - kind of like removing the chip - but it might be a little tough to convince the dealer that the antifreeze failed.)

Some folks comprimise if they operate a vehicle on both the street and strip by keeping about 50% (or more) of the coolant capacity filled with an antifreeze/water mixture and then filling it the rest of the way with WaterWetter (I think Red Line recommends this approach). I don't think (famous last words) that this would present any warranty problems as long as the outside temp stays above the freeze protection temp afforded by the mixture.

To be absolutely sure, however, I would check with my warranty provider.

Mike Philpott

Old 09-09-1999, 03:25 PM
My .02 worth on this subject. I run Red Line water wetter and distilled water in the intercooler. In fact when I go to race I evacuate the intercooler and run a slurpy in the system (chrushed ice and water). Yes I will be adding antifreeze back in come mid to late October. Give it a try and see what type of results you get.You might be surprised.

Old 09-10-1999, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the responses.

A slurpy 'eh? Hmmm.

------------------
| '99 White Lightning + SuperChip
| '97 F-150 XLT (for sale)
| '99 Grand Prix GTP (gathering dust)
| '98 Grand AM GT (for the lady)

Old 09-10-1999, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey BABolt, Sal here. How does your crushed ice idea work? I was talking to a guy on the phone the other night about a chip, and he said he had a custom triple flow intercooler made and used crushed ice water and it slowed the truck down. Only thing I can think of is that it may have been TOO cool and the PCM thought there was a problem. The 99 Lightning actually uses 2 air intake sensors, one in the airbox to read ambient, and one on the motor to read intake charge after the cooler heat exchanger. I think it may have seen too low a signal and freaked out. Only thing I could having a negative effect. Have to tried this yet?

SAL

------------------
Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

</A>

Old 08-24-2000, 03:05 PM
Post removed. See http://www.powersurgeperformance.net

or http://www.nloc.org

Nathan

[This message has been edited by Nathan (edited 09-18-2000).]

Old 08-24-2000, 03:31 PM
Talking

Water cools better than antifreeze. However, part of the reason for the anti-freeze besides freeze protection is corrosion protection. If draining out the anti-freeze and replacing with distilled water and water wetter, I would also add a can of (what use to be called) ANTIRUST/WATERPUMP LUBRICANT. I think this went away for awhile but is again being produced. Use to be made by Dupont. I think there is still much to be learned about intercooler temps. With the new gauge pods that are being made I plan to add a water temp gauge to the intercooler system.
Noelvm

Hi Sal wecome back, we missed ya.

Yah, here's the stuff. http://www.usahardware.com/inet/webS...lty/c10-12.htm

[This message has been edited by noelvm (edited 08-24-2000).]

Old 08-24-2000, 03:37 PM
I run it in both intercooler and engine cooling. I figure at $7.95 a bottle, what do I have to lose except $16.00 and 5 minutes.A full bottle into the engine cooling system and if memory serves me correct 4 oz into the intercooler tank. 1 oz redline to 1 qt mixture. If it does indeed improve preformance, a nice cheap mod.

Old 08-24-2000, 07:51 PM
I emailed Redline two weeks ago regarding this. For engine cooling, they suggested 15% antifreeze/distilled water mixture and one bottle of Water Wetter.

Regarding intercoolers, this was their reply:
"The WaterWetter has been used in various intercooler systems, where freezing isn't encountered, I would recommend just distilled water and WaterWetter."

------------------
Regards,
George
george@spikeengineering.com
http://www.spikeengineering.com
---------
Red 2000 Lightning
White 1996 Whippet (1/2 mile course, 6 turns: 40 Seconds)
Red Wheaton 1995 Ridgeback (1/2 loaf of bread, 6 bites, 4 seconds)

Old 08-24-2000, 09:21 PM
I ran ice water and went slower. I had my ice chest full of dist. water and ice. I made a pass with this mix and was a .10 or .20 slower. With the same mix on a back to back run, the second run came back up a .10/.20
So, I don't make it icey any more. I now just use cool(not ice) gal. jugs to change between runs.

[This message has been edited by JIGAWATT (edited 08-24-2000).]

Old 08-24-2000, 10:26 PM
Exclamation

My experience is COMPLETLY DIFFERENT!!

I ran 30 times on last saturday running mostly 13.2s and some 13.3s ALL DAY LONG.

Sunday I drove for 30 minutes to the track ,shut it off and filled my intercooler and put some more left over ice into my radiator.My first and only run was 3 tenths faster!! I ran a 12.9@104.

the air was the same both days,Ther is no other valid reason why it was so much faster other that the ice.i stuck my finger in the intercooler res and it was like Ice water.

I also talked with a person who has a big ice water tank in his bed that is fed right into the intercooler.He said it was woth 3 tenths consistant.I had the same results.

Old 08-25-2000, 12:48 AM
LQ: I don't doubt it worked for you. I believe it should work. Don't know why it didn't on mine. My runs were same day, 2 runs before, then ice mix (ran 1/.2 slower), let ice warm up, then times came right back down. Mine must not like the cold. Weird. Have to try it again sometime.

Old 08-25-2000, 12:52 AM
JIGAWAT are you running a chip?
noelvm

Quick Reply: Water Wetter?