Lightning

Strange Engine Flutter???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2000, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange Engine Flutter???

this thread is being brought up again because no conclusion has ever been reached

At first I thought that it was piston slap but after reading all the info. on this site about it, I don't think slap is the problem.

I call it a flutter or maybe a rattle because it's not a knock or a hard sounding noise, just a quick sounding flutter which is very noticeable while driving. I keep calling it a flutter for lack of another word.

Does anyone have an idea what the flutter or rattle might be?

The only time I hear it is when:

I am giving about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. The engine reaches approx. 3000+ RPMs, under no strain and then I hear it. The flutter comes from the front of the L and it sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment. As soon as I let off the throttle or it shifts, it goes away.

It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot. And it doesn't do it all the time, only under the situation discussed above.

I have install a chip BUT it was there before the chip.

Does anyone have a clue?

It happens in all gears and I do not hear it under WOT. I can stick the L in first gear run the RPM's to a little over 3000 and the flutter/rattle will start and continue until I either back off and get under 3000 RPM's or shift to another gear.

Any thoughts?????

I have input this so you don't have read through this whole thread to discover the possible answer.

Finally an answer that I am comfortable with for now. The possible answer has been mentioned on this post but it was a number of possibilities given with out any support. So, my quest keep going, trying to discover exactly what this rattle problem was. I wanted to ease my mind that either all was OK or something bad was happening to the engine.

Today, I stopped by Sunset Ford (once again) to have someone go out with me and listen. BUT this time a mechanic said, is there a rattle up front when the RPMs hit between 2500-3500, disappears when throttle is either let off or the trans shifts? I said YES. I was then told that Ford does now know about the problem and that it is an exhaust noise and that Ford is working on the fix and there will be a paper out on it when discovered.

I feel much better knowing that the possibility is that it really is an exhaust noise vs. engine problem.

10/10/00

The rattle is almost gone. I changed factory spark plugs a few days ago for a totally different reason and a great PLUS was that the above rattle/flutter is also 100% gone. Where I always heard it at 3000 RPM, I now only hear it at 3000 RPM when the L is cold. After it warms up, it is gone.

01/31/01

The flutter/rattle stills goes on. No conclusion. I have heard that the type of (or should I say the lack of) skirts on the pistons cause the rattle and won't harm the engine. Who knows? I have given up. I just don't push the RPM's up to 3000 so as not to hear it. At WOT no problem--no rattle. Under any other condition at approx. 3000 RPM--a rattle!

In October of 2000 the rattle kind of disappeared after I changed plugs but it wasn't long before it came back.

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 02-01-2001).]

Old 05-07-2000, 01:40 PM
Clangs, bangs, rattles, crunches and some squeaks are covered under warranty. Flutters, whooshes, whistles and poots are not.

So I will save you the trouble of taking it in and tell you "that's normal".

Kidding aside, if you can't identify the sound any better than that, you're not likely to get any satisfaction from the dealer. There is so much plumbing on these motors, it could be anything. Are there any other symptoms that go with the noise?

------------------
Regards,
Gordon

99.5 Red Lightning
Only driven on Sundays (1/4 mile at a time)

Old 05-07-2000, 02:17 PM
BadDog

Like I had mention, at first I thought that it might be a piston slapping but the noise is not loud or hard enought.

It's a quick rattle just when the engine stops from having a strain or pressure placed upon it.

I didn't want to take to a dealer until I got a little more info. That's why I am taking it to the board first to at least see if I get an idea or two.

There might not be anything to worry about but when one hears a rattle, a flutter, etc., a concern does arise when it's one's pet.

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc
www.cars-n-trucks.com/lightning.htm
Black 00
Superchip
clear fronts
Airaid
Thinking about a 2" drop in the rear of truck
Also about 3.73's

Old 05-07-2000, 04:17 PM
Mine does make a little noise(almost a rattle,but not). After I accel 1/2-3/4 throtle and let off of throtle(way before shift point). Noise is very lite(but can tell). After talking with some people, I belive that it is the pistons. From what I under stand, and read hear. That forged pistons have thier little noises.

------------------
99.5 Black Lighting
CD Changer,Tow Pack,Ford Bed Liner,2in drop Shackles ,Tinted Windows,4 Rear Stoplights
2000 Mustang GT
Convertible,Performance Red,Black Top,
Cobra R Wheels,BFG Tires, Bassani X Pipe, Flowmaster Mufflers / Stock tips , K+N filter with air silencer removed
FMS 4.10 gears

Old 05-07-2000, 04:33 PM
It may be a header/exhaust leak, mine had a small leak at the front end of the cat pipe, that sounded like what you might call a flutter.

Old 05-07-2000, 04:53 PM
I have had the same problem. It's more noticeable when you install headers since they dont muffle the noise as much as the cast iron manifolds. I had detonation when I had my superchip but this noise is a little different and persists when I remove the chip. I'm not sure what causes it but it is strange...

Old 05-07-2000, 06:29 PM
W. Mallo

What you are describing is exactly what I am talking about.

Maybe as you say, it's quirk with this type of piston

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc
www.cars-n-trucks.com/lightning.htm
Black 00
Superchip
clear fronts
Airaid
Thinking about a 2" drop in the rear of truck
Also about 3.73's

Old 05-07-2000, 11:58 PM
Mabie going from boost, to no boost. The piston changes how it is loading the skirts. Or the difrence of heat. May be cause of noise, but I do not belive will hurt motor.

------------------
99.5 Black Lighting
CD Changer,Tow Pack,Ford Bed Liner,2In Drop Shackles ,Tinted Windows,4 Rear Stoplights
2000 Mustang GT
Convertible,Performance Red,Black Top,5 Speed,
Cobra R Wheels,BFG Tires, Bassani X Pipe, Flowmaster Mufflers / Stock tips , K+N Filter With Air Silencer Removed , FMS 4.10 gears

Old 05-11-2000, 07:33 PM
I have a little more input.

The rattle occurs when under enough throttle to get the RPMs up into the 3000-4000 range and just a split second before the shift, the rattle happens. It then disappears until, the RMPs again reach the above RPMs. It happens in all gears but I do not hear it under WOT but then how can one hear anything under an L WOT?

There has been a couple thoughts on the subject but I have just input more info.

Any more thoughts before it goes to the dealership?

Jim

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 05-11-2000).]

Old 05-11-2000, 08:11 PM
Exclamation

I had that in my '99. Cured it by trading it in.
When it was cold at around 3k RPM as the revs plateaued it sounded like noisy lifters used to sound, kind of a clatter sound. When it got to operating temp the sound would move up to 4k RPM. Very sensitive to throttle inflection. A little more, it would go away, a little less, same thing. They were getting ready to put "frame ears" (microphones)in various places to see if they could pinpoint it when I cut an excellent deal on a '00. BUT, I have a theory(the noise drove me bats not knowing). Bill Murray once mentioned that that silver solenoid on the passenger side of the supercharger was making a noise similar to this at idle. It seems to be electrically actuated and if so may have a spring to return/hold it in position when not activated. Here's the theory: If manifold pressure nears the pressure that the spring puts on the valve such as under load while accelerating just before rev peak(the ONLY way you could duplicate mine, never in neutral reving or decelerating) then the valve would be at a free floating point, spring pressure on one side, manifold on the other. A little more either way would send it to opening or closing causing a chatter sound. I'm no expert on these engines but any check type valve(is the EGR that design?) in the air/fuel flowpath that would have a pressure fluctuation would be susceptible to this. How 'bout it out there techs? Help me out on this one.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Adopted 4/19/00,
PSP Filter,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
Track time pending...

[This message has been edited by 4D THNDR (edited 05-11-2000).]

Old 05-11-2000, 08:47 PM
4D THNDR

Thanks for the input. When I get a few thoughts on this subject, I'll print it out, take the L in and have the dealership read all the thoughts and go over the L.

Jim

Old 05-11-2000, 11:28 PM
My first engine did that. One day it turned into a constant metalic tick. Kind of like a valve tap. Nothing a crate engine can't fix.
Tom

[This message has been edited by blue blood (edited 05-11-2000).]

Old 05-11-2000, 11:45 PM
A crate engine??? I hope not!

Old 05-11-2000, 11:55 PM
I robbed this pic off of another post(thnx in advance Alan). That silver solenoid I was refering to is the one about 6" above the end of the red hose.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Adopted 4/19/00,
PSP Filter,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
Track time pending...

[This message has been edited by 4D THNDR (edited 05-11-2000).]

Old 05-12-2000, 12:18 AM
4D THNDR

Once again I say thanks.

I will print the picture tonight and tomorrow take it along with the info. on this post to see what the service director at my dealership has to say.

I'll post what he said.

Jim

Quick Reply: Strange Engine Flutter???