Lightning

100% Improvement w/ Stock Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2000, 07:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post 100% Improvement w/ Stock Audio System

Hello to all:

Here's a bit of information about our Factory installed audio system that, in my opinion, radically improves the sound quality.

It used to be that I read the Owner's Manuals from cover to cover for each new gadget I would buy. Nowadays, who has time for that? But I digress.

I knew that I had read in the SVT Owner's Guide Supplement that one of the Lightning specific features was a "speed-compensated volume control". However, I never heard any noticeable change in the voume of the audio system, whether at full-song or at idle. So, frustrated with the way the audio system sounded, I researched in the F-150 Owner's Guide about the Speed Sensitive Volume feature.

By pressing, and holding for five seconds, the volume control button until SPEED VOLUME # is displayed, and pushing the Select button located to the upper right of the unit, the Speed Sensitive Volume can be turned on or off, and adjusted higher and lower to your listening preference.

What a difference in the quality of the sound from the audio system! The high notes were much sharper and crisper. The low notes were much fuller, and could be felt more intensely. Additionally, the volume of the audio was not drowned out at highway speeds, nor overbearing when stopped. Overall a dramatic change in the quality of the sound. The audio system changed from being a disappointment, into what I had expected from this vehicle.

For those of you who have not yet discovered this feature, (maybe I am the last to know) I would highly recommend turning on the Speed Sensitive Volume.

Also interesting and potentially useful, but somewhat gimmicky, is the RDS (Radio Data System). I still haven't fully explored, or learned the operation of this feature, but the Traffic Scan menu could be helpful.

Wilk

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 Super Cab; XLT 139" Wheelbase Flairside; Silver Frost Clearcoat; 4.6L. (Romeo); 4-spd Automatic Transmission; Preferred Equipment Package 507A; 3.55 Limited Slip Axle; Electronic Shift 4x4; California Emissions; Sliding Rear Window; Trailer Towing Package; Off-Road Package; 6-Way Power Driver's Seat; Remote Keyless Entry/Anti Theft; 6-Disc CD Changer; Ford Bedliner; Ford Running Boards; Ford Nose Mask; Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover.

2000 SVT F-150 LIGHTNING
XLT 120" WHEELBASE FLARESIDE
5.4L EFI SOHC V8 SC ENGINE
4-SPD AUTOMATIC
SILVER CLEARCOAT METALLIC

Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover.

SVT Online Store Lightning Front End Mask (still in box)

Old 06-30-2000, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Very cool, I am going out to try it now!!! Thanks for the info

Just got back, it sure does make a big difference!!!

[This message has been edited by LightningKid (edited 06-30-2000).]

Old 06-30-2000, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a cool option IMO. Works great.

Old 06-30-2000, 10:04 PM
Wilk - What position did you find the improvement with on/off ? adj.+-?

Old 06-30-2000, 10:52 PM
BACK2FORD

The system was set to off when I received the Lightning, and had remained there until this past week.

Since I have learned about this feature I leave the Speed Sensitive Volume switch in the on position, set to the #4 setting.

Wilk

Old 07-01-2000, 12:01 AM
Thumbs down

Turned mine off, found it very annoying to have the music go away whever I stopped.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Adopted 4/19/00,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
13.701@100.81

Old 07-02-2000, 12:47 AM
4D THNDR and others...

Don't set it so high if the "going away" when you stop is too much. Try setting it at 1,2 or 3 and drive around. The lower the setting, the less the difference between high and low speed. I know that my supercrew is pretty damn quiet, even at 75 - 80, so it doesn't need much enhancing. I think mine is only set at 1 or 2 - so if I am playing it loud... it only gets a little softer when I slow.

my 2cents...

Old 07-02-2000, 10:22 AM
Exclamation

It was on 3 from the dealer. Just used to things being a certain way I guess.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Adopted 4/19/00,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
13.701@100.81

Old 07-14-2000, 10:35 PM
After further experimentation with the Speed-Compensated Volume Control, the #3 setting seems most appropriate. This is under the typical driving conditions found in New England during the summer, windows and slider open. Any other time, when the cab is sealed, the #2 or #1 settings may be better.

Keep on truckin'.
Wilk

Old 07-14-2000, 11:50 PM
Well as soon as I got my L I started playin w/ the radio cuz it sounded crappy. I discovered the speed sensitive fairly early on,it's a gimmick I like.
The RDS is another story. A friend of mine has an RDS system w/ his home stereo and it is pretty cool,just music,no commercials the same genre of music on certain channels.But for some reason I get nada on the one in the truck.Not one single station,not one sound,zero. I gotta be missing something here. Anybody else fool w/ this???

Hitman

Old 07-15-2000, 02:26 AM
The stations near you have to broadcast RDS...it does nothing but broadcast the station info so that if you have RDS turned on, you see the "name" of the radio station instead of the numbers.

Traffic would automatically lock into traffic reports from news stations if they broadcast RDS.

Where I live in Jersey, we have ONE station that broadcasts RDS info, and its the classical music station.

Old 07-15-2000, 07:36 PM
thepawn,

Accually there are a few in NJ. 102.7 and 96.3 (classical) and one or to others. Just tune around slowly.

Although it seems other than the naming nothing else is b-casted... No traffic or anything.

Old 07-15-2000, 10:42 PM
Red face

Hey Guys,
A full Bassani exhaust system forces me to set mine at 5 or 6. Damn loud exhaust but I love it.
Alvin

------------------
99.5 Ford Lightning - Full Bassani exhaust, Swanson Performance Chip,Pro-m,powertube,undersized pulley,3.73 ears,Transgo shift kit,cobra type hood, snug top cover,2" drop in back, yellow stripes down red truck.
13.01 @ 103.6, 378 RWHP
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294235379

Quick Reply: 100% Improvement w/ Stock Audio System