Lightning

Stereo Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2000, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stereo Suggestions?

Ok, it's input time guys! I'm gonna upgrade the stereo in my bolt. The only thing I know for sure is I'm want the thunderforms for the subs. Not sure what to do about the rest of the speakers. Are ya'll using the stock front and rears or upgrading them as well. I want to keep the stock radio. Can I do that? Also, want to keep the number of amps to an absolute minimum.
I've been out of the "stereo loop" for a long time, so need some advise on how ya'll rig yours up.
THANKS!!

------------------
1999 Red Lightning,
Bed Rug, Soft Cover, Towing package, Super Chip, 50 Series Flowmasters, PSP Filter, Valentine 1.

1996 Kawasaki ZX-11-Candy Red
1996 Honda Goldwing Aspencade. Candy Red
1974 Century Ski-Fury, (454 Mercruiser inboard)

Jsnyder414@aol.com

Old 03-28-2000, 10:49 AM
Radarlove, Beter be careful w/ the topics and questions you ask,Yoda is cracking down on L owners who don't use the "search" option at the top of the page before they add "new" topics .
But as to help you out,I have kept the head unit(it's not bad) but changed all the speakers. I put 4 5x7 Plye Wave 2000's in the doors and and in the back part of the cab. I have a 400 watt 4 channel Plye Wave 2k amp under the pass. seat and will be relocating the cd changer under the middle seat(attached to the underside) as soon as my Thunderform comes in.
To spare you Yoda's wrath ,do a search on "stereo upgrades" or user name "tampabaylightning"-he helped me tremendously.
Hitman
P.S. Are your Flowmasters a full system or after cat? How do they sound? I ran into a guy w/ after cat on his dakota(a 6cyl) and it sounds waaaay better than my L's stock exhaust.

[This message has been edited by Hitman31 (edited 03-28-2000).]

Old 03-28-2000, 11:51 AM
Hitman,
For the record, I did a search. That's how I decided on the Thunderforms. Now I'm looking for fresh input on the systems out there, not old info.
I just replaced my muffler with two flowmaster 50 series. Tried the single 50 and two 40's as well before settling on the two 50 series. Was able to create a system where they bolt to the stock header pipes behind the cats and the stock tips bolt on as well. That way, I can always put it back stock quickly and easily in case some future purchaser was a purist.
Thanks for the stereo info.

Jack

------------------
1999 Red Lightning,
Bed Rug, Soft Cover, Towing package, Super Chip, 50 Series Flowmasters, PSP Filter, Valentine 1.

Jsnyder414@aol.com

Old 03-28-2000, 08:45 PM
i have BOSTON ACCOUSTICS seperates in the front and they sound great!! really nice full sound....

------------------
-97 F150 FLARESIDE XLT REG.CAB.4X2 PACIFIC GREEN/GREY INTERIOR
-4.6L AUTO TRANNY 3.55 LS REAR
-MODS-
-ROUSH RACING PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION LOWERED 3 FRONT 3.5 REAR WITH BILSTIEN SHOCKS
-GOODYEAR EAGLE LS TIRES
-4X4 GRILL/BUMPER AND LIGHTS
-PAINT MATCHED SNUG LID BED COVER GREY CARPETED BED KIT
-VENTSHADES
-PAINT MATCHED SLOTTED TAILIGHT ACCENTS CLEAR FRONT CORNERS
-BLUE HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS/BUMPER LIGHTS TOO
-K&N FILTER-WMS AIR TUBE-CUSTOM RAM AIR FROM BUMPER OPENING
-SUPERCHIP(THANX MIKE!!) POWERAID(WHISTLE BOX) ACCELL SUPER STOCK PLUG WIRES BOSCH PLATINUM PLUS 4'S
-VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC 10W30
-FLOWMASTER MUFFLER(to be changed to JARDINE system)
-SPEED GLO DASH& CARBON FIBER GAUGE ACCENT HUSKY LINER FLOOR MATS
-STEREO:
-ECLIPSE HEAD UNIT/SONY ADJUSTIBLE CROSSOVER MOUNTED IN DRIVER DOOR MAP POCKET/BOSTON 6.5 SEPERATES/RUN BY PIONEER AMP/2-12"ORION DVC SUBS POWERED BY ORION HCCA AMP/CUSTOM SUB BOX/1 FARAD CAP/WAY TOO MANY CD'S!!!!
CLIFFORD ALARM&REMOTE START.
"#6 STICKER" GO MARTIN!!

Old 03-28-2000, 09:26 PM
I'm with ROUSHFAN-1, I think I'm gonna go with Boston acoustics in the front, PPI Pro Class subs in the back, and two PPI Pro Class amps to power it all. I used to work with some of the CarAudio & Elect. guys and from what I heard the Thunderforms are great for what they are - but still don't compare to a custom box with top of the line subs. I have to say they are a great deal though.

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler
So-Cal Lowering Kit; Cal-Tracs traction bars
Watter Wetter
Lo-Jack

Old 03-28-2000, 09:40 PM
Banned
Hey Radarlove,

I just upgraded my stereo last night and it sounds great, now my doors vibrate to no end.

Clarion rxmx855dz -> md so you may differ
Clarion eqs750 equalizer -> totally cool
Boston acoustic rc51
Boston acoustics rx87
Alpine mrpf306 30x4 amp -> enough for me

Like everyone here says go with Boston acoustics components.

BTW that was the best $1800 that I’ve ever spent, I can now almost here my stereo over my MAF?!?

Old 03-28-2000, 09:51 PM
Smile

Once again, this site kicks!! Thanks for the tips, guys. I really appreciate it. Sounds like it's time to head to the store now that I have a good overview of what works.

------------------
1999 Red Lightning,

Jsnyder414@aol.com

Old 03-28-2000, 10:14 PM
Cool

hello....I've got a Clarion Auto PC in the GTP, which will be moved to the Bolt, once I get it hehe. Also got Phenoix Gold speakers, EQ, and 2 amps. The Auto PC was a little expensive, but does everything you could ever want. go to www.autopc.com to see a demo and specs

Dan the "soon to be Bolt man" well not too soon but a 01' hehe

Old 03-28-2000, 10:48 PM
man how many times do I need to say....j/k!

Walk into any stereo shop & start listening to a few different sets of speakers. Seperates are usualy have better sound quality but cost a ton more. Look @ the x-over (seperates) because beleive it or not that is what sets a speaker apart - does it have a good x-over. Soft dome tweeters have a warmer sound to them than hard-dome ones, so listen to the difference closely in that area. On the head unit thing, if you are going to run the speakers with subs you might want to invest in a new one. Reason being, the stock unit has no RCA outs, (unless Ford pulled a fast one & put some in, I havent checked) which means you will need to use line-level converter which takes your speaker wires & turns them into something the amps can use. Not the best way to get a clean sound. Just remeber that if you replace the factory head-unit there will be some extra space in the dash, so get creative with it. Possibly an 'eq' or something. Now if you do that & you want to still retain the cd-changer you will need to find a company that the cd-changer will work with (dont know if there is even one that will adapt to it) or get a new 6 or 12 disc changer. Most likely you will end up mounting the changer under the passenger seat. Good luck on you decesion.

------------------
99' SVT Black Bolt NLOC #392
Clear Corner Lenses
Autometer Boost & Air/Fuel ratio Guages
best run 13.54 @ 101.35

**Unlike Lightning I will strike you twice**

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 03-28-2000).]

Old 03-28-2000, 11:15 PM
I had boston acoustics, 6.5 reference series. Did not like the sound compared to what I was hearing with Polk Audio. So I pulled them out and replaced them with Polk audio dx series 6.5 component set. As Yoda said you can't beat components for sound quality, But for the ultimate, its gotta be horn drivers, but whose gonna tear their truck up installing those under the dash. I have 6.5 polk dx mid woofers in the stock rear location as well, (they fabricated a pod) Right now this is all ran off of an xtant amp, with signal from an alpine deck, and digital processor. Now all I need is some looooooooow end. Im talking 3 10s or 2 12s, can't decide if I want boston pro series subs, or kicker solo 7's (soon to be released) With space restraints and me wanting maximum boom, (or DB) it came down to these 2 choices. anywho they will be powered by xtant amps as well. Power is carried via fosgate 4 gauge, into a fuse/distrubition block, from there it is changed into 8 gauge and heads to the amp, the ground was done the same way, 4 to 8 to ground. I will be addind a single farad cap once the time comes for the subs. Also will add an optimum deep cycle battery, or rather replace the existing one. Signal is carried through fosgate white wolf rcas, (only because they match my truck )

------------------
Floyd91
Why do I do the things that I do? Because, The chicks dig it!
99.5 White lightning
#2349 Born on 6/14/99

Clear Corners
Clear Tail lights
APC Ultra White headlights
IPF Ultra White Driving lights
PSP Filter Kit
DJM 2" Drop Shackles

Old 03-29-2000, 12:30 AM
Smile

Jack,Thanx for the info on the Flows,how much did you pay(if you don't mind me asking),and how do they sound? I'm not looking to be heard from a mile away,I just want the old muscle car sound.

Brett the "Hitman"

Old 03-29-2000, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the tip about the head unit Yoda. I was hoping to keep the stock one, I really like it, but now I will have to think if it's worth the loss in sound quality. Good thing I still have my Sony unit w/CD changer.

Mike

Old 03-29-2000, 11:59 AM
I'm still in that listening to my engine phase of driving my truck.

Old 06-17-2002, 11:04 PM
Question sound system

I was wondering if Cerwin-vega 12" soubwoffers would fit behind the seat of a L with two 6" midrange in the front with a 320w amp with two more mids could fit behind the head rest or near them for best sound quality. To top it all off a 12disc cd changer in the console and an alpine head unit.

Old 06-18-2002, 03:17 AM
5 1/4" w 1" tweets in kickpanels, 6.5" midbass drivers in doors, 2 12" solobaric subs behind seat. clarion headunit & 6 disc changer under seat.

mor pics here: https://www.f150online.com/galleries...iew.cfm?num=63

Quick Reply: Stereo Suggestions?