Lightning

Info on Lightning Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2000, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Info on Lightning Suspension?

Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I am trying to find out as much information on the Lightning suspension as I can. I've read the reviews and specs, and they are informative. However, I want to hear it from the guys who drive 'em.

If you live in Dallas or Houston, you know that some roads are cratered like the moon. Needless to say, some of the less forgiving suspensions can crack under the pressure. How does the Lightning suspension hold up? Has anyone had any problems with the STOCK suspension (I know some of you have lowered your Beasts)? Is it tough enough? No, I'm not looking for offroad strength. I'm seeking information on long-term endurance and quality.

Thanks in advance, fellas.

E

------------------
Ordered White 2K Lightning

Old 01-01-2000, 05:55 PM
Banned
I SEE YOU ORDERED THE FASTEST COLOR!!!!!!!sorry caps

Old 01-01-2000, 08:22 PM
Air,

The first thing you need to remember is that these are trucks, not ricers, not unibody crackerboxes, trucks! I doubt there are any normal surface streets in the DFW area that is going to hurt the Lightning suspension and I should know, I lived there for 5 years and had a lowered (Motorsport C springs) '94 Cobra and a '96 Vette and neither was the worse for wear.

The rates on our springs are higher than the stock F150 but below the rates on the F-250. We have the F-250 front spindle assembly and the 9.5" rear end. The available bounce in the stock Lightning suspension is almost as much as the stock F-150. The Roush kit uses shorter front springs of roughly the same rate and rears at roughly 1/2 the rate of the stock L. They compensate for front end bounce by replacing the bump stops with shorter ones. The rear still has plenty of verticle clearance. Other lowering kits simply use shorter front springs and different rear hangers It will do nothing for the handling and ride of the truck and probably give you front end bottoming out problems unless you fix the bump stops. They are no where near as well engineered as the Roush package. BTW, the factory package is a really good compromise of handling, ride and load rating. If I didn't have to tow a 6000 lb boat I'd probably do the Roush kit. The Roush kit will improve the ride and handling but you lose almost all of your load ratings. The Roush truck has a 400 lb bed load and 2500 lb tow rating according to Roush.

------------------
Mark Whatman
mwhatman@worldnet.att.net
  • 99.5 White Lightning (stock)
  • 99 Buell S3 Thunderbolt (not stock!)
  • 98 F-150 Lariat (Flowmaster)
  • 96 26' Velocity Offshore Race Boat (far from stock!!!)

Old 01-01-2000, 08:40 PM
Mark,

Excellent information and a confirmation of something I hoped...that the Lightning is truly a truck first.

Thanks,

E

------------------
Ordered White 2K Lightning

Old 01-01-2000, 10:36 PM
Cool

AirBurps -

MarkW is right on target with the Roush information. I have experienced everything that he posted with the exception of finding a few places around DFW that are unpleasant at elevated speeds. Payload has been virtually cut in half, but the handling improvements have been nothing short of amazing. I would do the Roush thing again in a heart beat (sorry, bad choice of words).

------------------
1999 Black Roush-Lowered Lightning - w/Super Chip (YEEEOW!), JBA Headers, Power Surge air kit, AAD Cobra hood, carbon fiber dash kit, CD Changer, Towing Package,Grey Rhino, clear corner lenses.

Old 01-02-2000, 12:02 AM
Banned
I also have a Lightning and live in the DFW area, this place sucks as far as having any fun so I seem to explore the outskerts of the metroplex.

This weekend I did 455 right north of Denton, jeesssss I'm suprised I didn't crash every 5 minutes "think god I use to race superbikes!" . I'm not so sure that I would lower my truck 1 inch, the road diped and dived 4 or 5 places in my lane, 3 to 8 inches, ****, even in the corners.

I don't know what camaro was behind me but they would try to keep up to me till about 100, but in the corners I would flat leave um. More driver than car I'm sure, I was taking um out of the apex while watching in my rear view mirror, but what do you expect?

BTW I get draged everyday on Arapaho and end up at 75 on a 30 mph turn and take it at 60 pretty easy and other than an NXS really hooking, I feel I can take most any cars, but not that NSX impressive.

Old 01-02-2000, 01:06 PM
Cool

n20Boy -

I've only been to the strip once and I could not get the thing to hook. I have no base-line comparison. BABolt indicated

https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000389.html

that he felt it was more difficult to launch after the suspension change. I'm going to go with drag radials at the strip so I shouldn't have a problem launching. Having said that, I really like the improved handling of the Roush suspension because I'm more of a sportscar (read autocross) guy.

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 01-02-2000).]

Old 01-03-2000, 12:31 AM
hows the roush kit workin for you at the dragstrip?

Old 01-03-2000, 05:46 AM
I'm sure that the Roush package is top notch quality, but would like to add that I went with a different kit and I had more options than just changing the front springs and rear hangers. In addition to the above we used Eibach coil springs, new bump stops, adjustable sway link bars, and I had the option of changing the rear leaf springs but didn't want to make it any harder to hook up, plus I haul equipment.

Not trying to stir up competition, I'm pretty sure the Roush kit is the best out there for handling, but want to point out that not all other kits are so limited, at least not in my case.

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler
So-Cal Lowering Kit; Cal-Tracs traction bars
Watter Wetter
Lo-Jack

Quick Reply: Info on Lightning Suspension?