Lightning

Wlydman, or anyone with NOS on Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1999, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wlydman, or anyone with NOS on Lightning

Just wondering what "extras" you have on your NOS system, bottle warmer, purge valve, flutter type system tied to your gas peddle (where it slowly lets in the N2O to "help" with wheel spin) etc.....? Just want to know what I might possibly getting into. I have read some articles where you can have it adjustable when it first activates itself & progressivly goes up to the full hp? And most of all would you do it again (adding the NOS) if you had were staring out, or would you do anything differently? This goes for anyone who has installed NOS on the Lightning or who has looked into it.

------------------
99' Black Bolt
PSP Filter
PSP Custom Chip
Clear Corner Lenses
SVT #3443

**Millions have seen Lightning
Few have ridden one**

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 12-14-1999).]

Old 12-14-1999, 03:42 PM
Yoda,

Yes, I would do the NOS kit on a new Lightning again. It has really been fairly painless in execution and performance thus far. I don't have any fancy bells and whistles on the system at all. Just a WOT switch on the throttle cable and an arming switch in the cab. Living in Texas, I don't really need a bottle warmer and a progressive arming system is a lot of money I don't think I need to spend. I like having complete control over when the N2O kicks in and I don't know if the progressive is legal on the street. The way it's set up now, it is.

I don't think (at least right now) that a huge shot is necessary, the 80 hp shot I am running has been well received by the motor and it behaves nicely. Even w/all the spurious wieght on my truck, I have picked up a full second on my ET's.

I have learned not to go WOT out of the hole and hit the switch just at the 1-2 shift, this has yielded some nice 60 foot times (1.96 sec) and helped keep wheelspin to a minimum. After I get some good strip tires on it, I may be able to cut in the N2O sooner and lower the times some more.

In a nutshell, if you use the gas a power adder and not as an overpowering force, you can really reap the benefits w/o doing irreperable harm to the motor.

IMHO...

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 13.16 @104.8
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 12-14-1999).]

Old 12-14-1999, 04:04 PM
Hi!
I have Nitrous on my Lightning. I posted photos several months ago of my installation. I have two polished NOS bottles with hidden mounts in the box of my truck. I run two bottle warmers, two sloenoids to open each bottle and a purge valve. I mounted my WOT switch on the gas pedal in the cab and built a console which mounts to the seat frame for all of the other switches. All gages were mounted to the A-pillar. To fire the Nitrous I turn on the arming switch and flip a second switch which disarms the horn. Then when I am at WOT I just blow the horn and hold on (hey! it's just a "two thumbs up" operation). Additionally, Superchip modified my chip for me. I now have a high performance program and a Nitrous program and when I pull the chip out it's back to wimp mode. I will post new photos to myweb site.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 12-14-1999, 04:14 PM
ya Babolt I have seen your current photo's but would like to see all the switches & how you mounted them

Old 12-14-1999, 08:38 PM
Banned
Ditto. Could you Babolt?

Old 12-14-1999, 09:06 PM
BABOLT, is that a 2 stage system (where one bottle is used and flip another switch for the 2nd bottle) or is it the 2 bottles going into one line to hold more NOS???

Old 12-14-1999, 11:00 PM
Talking

I will post some photos soon. I have put the Lightning away for winter (did it about 6 weeks ago) and have many of the "trick" parts that I have made out being anodized. Also like many of you I have more than one project car or "Toy" that I work on. So as not to tell a long story, I have had a couple of set backs in my projects. The most recent, was finding that the radical stroked Mexican small block (for my Mustang Cobra)had cracked cylinders after the final hone. Yea, the whole right bank and after all the machine work was done, the rock had been poured and ready for final assembly. There is more but I will save it for my web page. I intend to create a wall of shame where I can spotlight some of the nit-wits and @##$!&*# that I have had to deal with. So yes there will be photos soon but could you help me now with my latest project and provide me with some great photos of your Lightnings. I want to make another Screen Saver and call it "America Struck by Lightnings". I would like some great photos of everyones truck. Thanks, I hope I did not bore anyone.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 12-14-1999, 11:09 PM
Wink

Yoda
The way N.O.S. installed my kit was to try
and not drill any holes.They were successful.
The only accessorie added was a remote bottle
control valve.There are factory brackets in
the engine compartment that you can use for
the solinoid and micro-switch mounting.
A friend and I are both running the 150 HP
jetting and having no problems.

Old 12-14-1999, 11:33 PM
Talking

Just some added information about my install. There is not an added hole anywhere on my truck. I even shared my install information and some photos with NOS back in September. In fact my bottle mounts uses quick release pins. I only had to cut a couple of slits in my BedRug. If anyone would like to copy this system or even improve upon it I will share my information and photos.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 12-15-1999, 12:05 AM
dang **** what are your 1/4 times? what other mods do you have?

[This message has been edited by Yoda (edited 12-15-1999).]

Old 12-15-1999, 12:33 AM
Yoda
I ran the Lightning when new and totally stock and the times were 13.90 to 14.10 at
98.50 to 99.90.I have not run with the N.O.S.
yet,however my friend ran his with the 150 HP
jets at 12.80S and the speed was over 111
My arming and remote bottle opener switches
are at the very back of the 2"x5" opening
to the right of the steering column.
**** P.S.That was on stock tires

Quick Reply: Wlydman, or anyone with NOS on Lightning