Too much Light from uncoming vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much Light from oncoming vehicles

Road Rage must be a concern to all drivers and people who share the road systems

Please review the following article, and take a peek at what
designers really need to pay attention too,

So we may continue to respect the eyes of uncoming drivers
and Keep Road rage At the responsibity of the designers
and The regulators and LAw enforcement,

MOst drivers want to prevent accidents, But accident prevention must be designed into the vehicles lighting system

And law enforcement Needs to get involved for the safety of you and I

Subject: Too much Light ahead of our vehicles on Major highways
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we meet oncoming vehicles at night on the highway systems in North america

And the weather is Clear, And the oncoming Vehicles have their added Fog lamps and or driving lamps operating in full brillance.

Then We flash them to let them know,That their lights are causing some Glare and visibility problems for us as an approaching driver.

Then their vehicle Lights go from high beam with 4 lamps
lit, ?? To low beam with 4 lamps lit.?? ( clear weather)

What goes through our minds, ??
--------------------------------------------------

(A) Does the Vehicle have an illuminated and word marked on/off switch installed ??
so the driver can shut the additional lights off??

(B) Or are the added lamps Hard wired to the park lamp position of the headlamp switch ??

(C) Or has the driver, Not been able to find the on/off
switch to shut off the fog or driving lamps ??

(D) Or have the Police not used the T.V. media to warn drivers, About Not using fog lamps when the weather is clear

(E) Or are our road safety laws So poorly written, That the enforcement of the laws becomes Impossible

If the designer has safety compassion for the eyes of the oncoming motorists they ensure that the designed vehicle is equipped with the following ROAD SAFETY SMART features

(1) An illuminated and marked on/off switch for the Fog lamps and is close to operators fingertips

(2) and ensure that the fog lamps are only accessable from the Low beam lamp function.

(3) And that the operator has the ability to operate Low beam lighting with the fog lamps

(4) Or have the fog lamps operate alone with Tail lamps park lamps and other marker lamps lit with the fog lamps

(5) And That a drop out feature is provided in the electrical system that allows the fog lamps to be selected on low beam,

(5A) But when the driver switches to high beam,

(5B) And then re selects Low beam

(5C) The drop out feature will not allow the fog lamps to
Be lit again until the driver re selects, the fog lamp switch. For the following safety reasoning

Too many drivers switch the fog lamps on and never shut them off. And the fog lamps are lit all the time even in clear weather.??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(F) Driving Lamps Insure that an illuminated and word Marked on/off swith is available close to operators fingertips

(F1) Ensure that if unit is equipped with additional Driving lamps, That the additional driving lamps can only be accessed from the high beam lamp operations,

(F2) And have the operator be able to use the high beam operations, with the driving lamps,

(F3) Or be able to use the driving lamps alone with the tail lamps park lamps and other vehicle marker lamps operating

This prevents the driving lamps from operating on low beam.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Daytime Driving lamps are an accident prevention tools To prevent daylight vehicle frontal collisions.

The Insight electronics. version. see link below

http://www.pacificinsight.com/

Operates the low beam lamps at aprox 60% of their wattage
And these are really nice and do not cause Glare for the uncoming drivers,

Other scary installations. That do nothing for road safety and create Too Much light to approaching drivers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some designs, Install 2 additional bright lamps to operate as Daytime driving lamps. Instead of the insight design

However forget that they sometimes, they allow these bright lamps to operate at night time, and call them
either fog lamps or auxillary driving lamps

This design is really problematic, due to the following reasons

(A) Added lamp glare is projected forward from the vehicle into the eyes of the oncoming drivers.

(B) And in many cases the vehicles are not equipped with a nightime automatic lamps off feature,

(C) And not equipped with an illuminated manual on/off switch so the drivers can shut off the
fog or auxillary driving lamps when the following occurs

(1) The weather is clear

)2) Other drivers blink their lamps to warn us that our additional lamps are lit and causing vision and glare problems.

(3) We want to save fuel energy, and reduce the vehicle operation cost )

If a vehicle is properly equipped with park lamps on the front and High and Low beam operations
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is little need to allow more light to operate at night time especially when the weather is clear.

And we must ensure we do not design and offer for sale, Vehicles that contain nightime lighting problems,

Where the vehicle operator cannot employ Common sense ( Lamp switch off ) evasive action to correct ,

WE must have more emphasis placed on the design people to monitor lighting systems,

That allow additional lamps to operate when not required

And we must give the responsibility for safe vehicle operation BACK to the DRIVERS.

And we need better control of the after market installation of additional driving and Fog lamps,

And have the law enforcement people set proper ENFORCEABLE SAFETY regulations in place that meet common sense and keen vehicle safety management.on our highways systems.

The link below has many good articles on safety and vehicle lighting

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/nhtsa/NHTSA.html

The link below has information or the topic with contacts for how to solve vehicle lighting
Through a third party arbitration process

http://www.camvap.ca/

WE are in the middle of of a case regarding vehicle lighting, See this on the link below

http://www.rafeonline.com/showthread...&threadid=3035

Happy motoring
BJ

Last edited by robert johnson; 11-19-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 AM
wholeheartedly agree.

You know some of you out there are guilty of this and do it purposefully because it helps you see better without regaurd to fellow drivers on the road. Nothing bothers me more than people with inproperly working headlamps or with lights adjusted improperly. And really it's a hazard to everyone on the road, including yourself despite claims of seeing better.

Old 11-10-2004, 04:09 AM
I specifically aimed my headlights so that when I highbeam someone who is hogging the left lane, they get it full blast and it lights up their entire interior of their car. Also jumped the wiring so the fogs and low beams stay on with the highbeams.

If you drive stupid I will blind you and deserved it. I also put 9005 high beam bulbs in my foglights.

now just for some Hella "black magic" driving lamps behind the grill for the "flash to pass" challenged.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
I specifically aimed my headlights so that when I highbeam someone who is hogging the left lane, they get it full blast and it lights up their entire interior of their car. Also jumped the wiring so the fogs and low beams stay on with the highbeams.

If you drive stupid I will blind you and deserved it. I also put 9005 high beam bulbs in my foglights.

now just for some Hella "black magic" driving lamps behind the grill for the "flash to pass" challenged.
"Stupid is as stupid does!"

Old 11-10-2004, 09:13 AM
........are you kidding me. waa f*cking waa.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:22 AM
BTW:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=uncoming

.........Nothing personal, Its early, and Im being an a$$hole:santa:

Old 11-10-2004, 09:31 AM
I was wondering what the hell that word was...

Old 11-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Anybody know where I can get some black-market HID-conversion kits for out 9008/H13 bulbs?! $%*@@ DOT is holding me down!!!

Screw the oncoming traffic, I want to see the road lit up like the Las Vegas strip!!! !

Old 11-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by dzervit
Anybody know where I can get some black-market HID-conversion kits for out 9008/H13 bulbs?! $%*@@ DOT is holding me down!!!

Screw the oncoming traffic, I want to see the road lit up like the Las Vegas strip!!! !
i hope you blind someone and they plow into you head first

Old 11-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I just flash them to let them know there is a problem.

I had to add two additional batteries under the hood to run my 500,000 candlepower boom beam aircraft landing lights.

Not only do they think they just witnessed the end of the world, they also get an instant sun tan.

Old 11-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see "soft white" lights all the time, they are very bright, but dont "blind" me at all....those are the lights manufactuers need to start using

Old 11-10-2004, 12:56 PM
I like seeing where i'm going at night and the post was and is WAAAYYY to long .. ( ya it is ) I run my low beams
and fogs together every night... gotta see what's ahead of me....
light ' em up ........

Old 11-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by grinomyte
i hope you blind someone and they plow into you head first
Sweet!! I hope they are rich... I'm looking foward to an early retirement!!

Old 11-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by baddgene
"Stupid is as stupid does!"
Aren't you the guy who threated to physically beat his Father for driving his truck? BTW glare from gaudy wheels is far more dangerous than my DOT approved Sylvania Xenarcs.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
I had a 2002 Explorer, and I loved the lights on the thing, from a driving perspective, they lit the road up better than any other car I'd driven. Now that I don't have that thing (I hated it) and I drive at Explorers I realize how horrible the lights are to other drivers. I can see both sides of the argument, and I think that it's okay to have all those lights but be polite and turn 'em off if someones coming at you. I drive with my PIAA's on sometimes, but they get turned off as soon as someone comes towards me. THOSE THINGS LIGHT THE ROAD UP

Quick Reply: Too much Light from uncoming vehicles