Lightning

Fog Lights illegal, just there for looks>???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog Lights illegal, just there for looks>???

So I am driving my Lightning a little while ago and slow down and stop at yellow light(seldom do I run the yellow light). Low and behold there is a cop on the other side of the intersection with his blinker on to make a left hand turn. He flashes his high beams at me. I think to myself WTF I did nothing wrong. He then drives thru the red light(no lights on or anything) shines his spotlight right in my face and tell me to turn off my "driving lights they are just as bright as high beams and are illegal." I tell him they are factory stock on the truck how could they possibly be illegal>??? He says "turn them off or I will give you a $78 ticket. I laugh at him and drive away before he can say anymore. So he turns around and starts following me going out of his way to do so(remember he did have his left turn signal on before) but there is a car in between us, I drive slow but the car behind me is even slower so he is weaving into the other lane to look ahead at me. Then we pass another officer who starts follow this guy. Now I am thinking WTF>??? Let me tell you this guy has always been a ***** to myself and anyone else that is young. He has pulled over plenty of my friends and towed their vehicles away for things such as no front plate, expired insurance card(it was expired by 2 days) just plain old stupid crap. So me not wanting to get my truck towed away in case I didn't have something with I pulled into the local Wendy's parking lot(I don't think they can tow you from a private lot) and they keep driving by and I wave and smile at him. Why are some cops on such a power trip>??? Is he jealous of me. Maybe I should tell him I pay for my own ***** so go bother someone else. I mean I have no problems with law enforcement but come on. This guy has told one of my friends he is "gonna get me one day" because I drive on a dealer plate. I am part owner of our family business so I get that privledge. I can't report him or anything because he is one of the head "supervisors." Our Lights aren't really illegal are they>??? Just about every new car has fog lights and all of them drive with them on. WTF. Some may say this guy may be the one saving my butt one day, but to be honest with you I would rather die in a burning house then have this ***** save me. Sorry for the long rant I just am sick and tired of this ball buster. -Mat-

Old 08-30-2003, 11:36 PM
FOCK THE 5-0

Old 08-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Re: Fog Lights illegal, just there for looks>???

Mat,
Sounds like you need an attitude adjustment! Keep up the smartass comments to the police, cutsy wiseass smiles, disrespect and I'm sure that cop and his fellow officers will make your life miserable at the least. As you get older you will learn when to keep your mouth shut and pull in your horns. Learn when a cop stops you / challenges you, you keep your mouth shut, no wiseass grins or comments .... and answer yes sir no sir or you are fair game for that cop.
I'd tell my teen talking like you have in your post to grow up and cut the crap or that cop is gonna nail you AND rightfully so. By the way, no I am not a police officer. I do know that there are good and bad cops... mostly good. I for the most part respect them and don't envy them at all. A rough job and the pay is not worth the crap that they deal with... from spoiled, ****y teens to druggies, to drunks to bad guys, etc..

Old 08-30-2003, 11:44 PM
I havn't had too much trouble with cops in the L; you should try riding a sport bike around town. They will follow you just waiting for you to try and run or do something stupid.

But, on the fog lights; they are not illegal in any way I can think of other than if they are blinding the oncoming drivers. I have to admit that after I lowered my truck I started getting the high beam flash's; after looking that front of the truck I realized that the fog's were pointing up too high so I adjusted them down a little.

Old 08-30-2003, 11:48 PM
Re: Re: Fog Lights illegal, just there for looks>???

Originally posted by billarf
A rough job and the pay is not worth the crap that they deal with... from spoiled, ****y teens to druggies, to drunks to bad guys, etc..
Yeh; they should spend more time looking for drunks, druggies, and bad guys than people driving the trucks around town with there fog lights on.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Re: Re: Fog Lights illegal, just there for looks>???

Mat,
Sounds like you need an attitude adjustment! Keep up the smartass comments to the police, cutsy wiseass smiles, disrespect and I'm sure that cop and his fellow officers will make your life miserable at the least. As you get older you will learn when to keep your mouth shut and pull in your horns. Learn when a cop stops you / challenges you, you keep your mouth shut, no wiseass grins or comments .... and answer yes sir no sir or you are fair game for that cop.
I'd tell my teen talking like you have in your post to grow up and cut the crap or that cop is gonna nail you AND rightfully so. By the way, no I am not a police officer. I do know that there are good and bad cops... mostly good. I for the most part respect them and don't envy them at all. A rough job and the pay is not worth the crap that they deal with... from spoiled, ****y teens to druggies, to drunks to bad guys, etc..
Listen man, if I get pulled over I have nothing but respect for the officer. I always use yes sir and no sir. They are my elders and I show them repsect. Whether I get a ticket or not I always shake the officers hand. I have no problem with the law. But bust my chops for stock foglights>??? My town is full of spoiled rich kids that are burnouts and constant drinkers. I was minding my business doing absolutely nothing wrong. There has got to be something better for him to do. No matter what I am doing this azzhole will make it a point to pass cars going over double yellow lines just to follow me for a few miles. Is that needed>??? I don't think so. So you know what I am gonna do>??? I am gonna drive around with my fog lights on and not show this piece of ***** any respect, because he doesn't deserve. If you don't like that I am sorry. I don't have a problem with any cops, matter of fact I am friends with many of them and have built a tranny for a really close friends(who is cop) old Vette that he is doing a full resto on. He even has given me a "PAC" badge. I think other people need the attitude adjustment. -Mat-

Last edited by SVT F15O; 08-31-2003 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:04 AM
Re: Re: Re: Fog Lights illegal, just there for looks>???

Originally posted by C BROWN
Yeh; they should spend more time looking for drunks, druggies, and bad guys than people driving the trucks around town with there fog lights on.
Exactly my point. I may have used a lot more words to get that point across but that is what I was trying to say. -Mat-

Old 08-31-2003, 12:10 AM
Re: Re: Re: Fog Lights illegal, just there for looks>???

Opps

Old 08-31-2003, 12:11 AM
Easy way to put this behind you would have been to Smile, Say oh really ? Sorry ? Turn them off and if you wanted to turn them back on in 100 feet.

Or you can throw them attitude and see what it gets you.

Assuming that the cop was being honest your lights were bothering him - then he was doing his job and trying to make it easier for the rest of the world to drive.

Doug

Old 08-31-2003, 12:13 AM
That officer will get you for irresponsible use of auxiliary lighting which can be dangerous and illegal according to the law in many states.. Lighting laws vary from state to state. New York has a such a law and even if the foglights came stock on your vehicle an officer can ticket you for "irresponsible use of auxiliary lighting"
Many of Ct. traffic laws are very similar to New York State laws.
IF you check my guess is the officer can ticket you and make it stick. Guess you will find out first hand and then post it here.
Again, best bet is learn when a cop stops you / challenges you, you keep your mouth shut, no wiseass grins or comments .... and answer yes sir, no sir even if YOU think the cop is an "azzhole".
Hmmm, bet he thinks you are one also BUT guess what he has the ticket book and you... well looks like you will have the ticket.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
Easy way to put this behind you would have been to Smile, Say oh really ? Sorry ? Turn them off and if you wanted to turn them back on in 100 feet.

Assuming that the cop was being honest your lights were bothering him - then he was doing his job and trying to make it easier for the rest of the world to drive.

Doug
I could understand that, I am young and hard headed. Our foglights point at the ground. If it was another cop I would have been nice as could be. I just have a grudge with this guy ever since he said he was gonna get me all because of my license plate. I don't like be threatened and I don't like being hassled. I know I acted in a way I shouldn't have but I just hate this guy, and he is the only person I actually hate in my life. Oh well. -Mat-

Old 08-31-2003, 12:17 AM
Hmmm, bet he thinks you are one also BUT guess what he has the ticket book and you... well looks like you will have the ticket.
Fine by me if he thinks that and if he tickets me, I will take it to court. If I lose then I pay the fine. But I will keep driving with the lights on. I think our stock headlights suck personally and can't see crap with them only. Oh well. -Mat

Old 08-31-2003, 12:17 AM
Yes cops should be doing other things than REVENUE ENHANCEMENT! But hey it makes the city money right. Hell catch a bad guy and we have to feed him and give him a place to sleep but hell pull the Lightning over and BAM the city gets some cash. Here in AZ the cops set up on motorcycles to check traffic. 5 cops on bikes. Tell me that ain't REVENUE ENHANCEMENT for the city. Every day they set up in different spots to cash in on that dough. Does nothing for controlling the speeding. Hell the briefing from the cops is that you can mail in your check they even provide the damn envelope. I say ******* those type of cops! Just my 2Cents.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!

Doug
Doug, Geeez, you got the picture...... your comments show maturity, common sense and such.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by SVT F15O
Fine by me if he thinks that and if he tickets me, I will take it to court. If I lose then I pay the fine. But I will keep driving with the lights on. I think our stock headlights suck personally and can't see crap with them only. Oh well. -Mat
You got a lot to learn.... in a few years you may figure it out. Sometimes figuring lifes little downsides comes with age.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights illegal, just there for looks>???