Sat Antenna fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat Antenna fault

I tried to install sirius sat radio in my 04 f150. I have a 08 factory nav hu and that works fine. When I power up the sirius and hit scan or everything will work like normal, then Antennas fault will display then it says no signal. I got the sirius from ebay and the guy sent two antennas. 1 sirius and the other is a different brand that still plugs in..

I do have the sirius antenna mounted under the dash by the defrost vents. and the other is just sitting outside the truck. Neither works.

Am I doing something wrong??

Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 PM
I would assume you are not in the garage or have any other obstructions over the truck when you are checking the signal. Keep in mind that the antenna needs a clear path to the sky. Many people install the antenna under the cowl where the wipers are attached but I have heard of people having trouble with that as well. Fortunately, I have the factory Ford antenna that I am able to use for my Sportster 4 so I have not had any trouble. I did have the Sirius antenna for my last truck and I kept it on the roof on the drivers side.

The antenna mounted inside your dash probably won't work due to the dash being the obstruction. I know that some connectors are also very tight to put on so you may want to double check to make sure the antenna plug is pushed in all the way. The other thing I can think of, would be that somehow the antenna cables may have a small break in them, maybe from being closed in a door, etc.. I guess it may also be possible that the Nav antenna could interfear but I'm not sure how that would be possible since the signals should be completely different. Keep us informed of anything you come up with. I would be interested in knowing the outcome.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 PM
The guy I purchased the sirius from is sending me another antennae..I will install that one and see what happens..I hope it works. I really want to listen to sat radio.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I received my replacement antenna today and I went ahead and installed it. The sirius picked up a station instantly. Its hard to believe I received two bad antennas. Anyway I'm happy and I'm going to enjoy my 6 months free sat radio..

Old 10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
i had an F250 with the sat antenna mounted at the bottom of the front windshield outside, and i kept losing the signal. i took it to a different ford dealership and they moved it to right above the windshield on the roof, and then it was perfect

Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
and good for you sirius radio is awesome!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:44 AM
The two best spots I have found for mounting on trucks are at the front of the roof, then running the antenna wire under the windshield molding... or else putting it at the rear of the roof and running it through the third brake light and then above the headliner down the side pillar. With the rear brake light though it's important to seal it up good because it creates a small gap.

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I hear of everyone mounting the antennas on the outside... Isn't it possible to keep on the inside of the truck on the front dash somewhere? GPS signals come through the glass fine, I would think satellite radio should be no different.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by cscoios
I hear of everyone mounting the antennas on the outside... Isn't it possible to keep on the inside of the truck on the front dash somewhere? GPS signals come through the glass fine, I would think satellite radio should be no different.
Nah, I have my antenna roof mounted and I sometimes lose signal when I am under the Gas Station Awning.

I mounted my antenna the same way novsun88 said. I went on the roof through the 3rd Brake Light, into the headliner, over to the passenger door sidepillar. It worked real well and took less than 5 minutes.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by cscoios

I did that in my previous Ram. I ran the cord under the dash, around the end of the dash by the door,and then placed the antenna loose on the far right-hand corner of the dash. It worked fine 99% of the time. With my F150 (built-in antenna), the only improved reception I have found is when going through mountain passes and in cities with multi-story buildings. Otherwise, laying it on the dash worked fine.

Quick Reply: Sat Antenna fault