Can factory XM be converted to Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can factory XM be converted to Sirius?

I love the Sirius in my new '08 SCrew. My wife's Honda came with an XM-loaded head unit. She did not subscribe to the XM after the free trial period. Now that I have subscribed to Sirius, I couild get her a 2nd subscription for 50% off, if I could convert her XM to Sirius. Anybody know if this is possible? I don't want to buy another radio for her.

CW

Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Though the Q&A was posted about 3 & 1/2 years ago, hope this helps.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Can the XM Roady be (reprogrammed) to receive Sirius? – I just signed up for the Sirius 3-day trial (via the net/web) and I kind of like the rock line up a little better – especially channel 20 – “Octane” -- I thought I read on one of the forums that most current model satellite radio receivers can receive both XM and Sirius. I’m pretty ‘committed’ to XM because of all the accessories I bought for it – ie; - 2 home kits – special in-car mounts – 50ft ant. extension cable, etc. – That’s why I was wondering if the XM Roady will work with Sirius broadcast – I really don’t want to buy all new equipment if I do decide to change over to Sirius. - Gary

"Indeed, SIRIUS radios can only receive SIRIUS broadcasts and XM's can only receive XM service. A few years ago, the FCC ordered both companies to jointly develop a receiver that is capable of receiving both SIRIUS and XM. Indeed both companies have funded a development team to work on an interoperable radio. The technical challenges of such a project are enormous, and we have no announcement regarding when this radio might be ready for sale." - Ron Rodriguez, Media Relations, SIRIUS Satellite Radio

"For the most part, the two companies' hardware is not compatible. However, XM has XM Direct, a line of XM products that can convert any non-XM satellite head unit to XM. So, owners of Kenwood, BMW, Ford and Chrysler satellite ready radios can get XM integrated into their systems. XM Direct includes the XM receiver (black box) and converter cables that connect to the receiver and the car's radio." - Chance Patterson, VP Corporate Affairs, XM Satellite Radio

Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by CWCobra
I love the Sirius in my new '08 SCrew. My wife's Honda came with an XM-loaded head unit. She did not subscribe to the XM after the free trial period. Now that I have subscribed to Sirius, I couild get her a 2nd subscription for 50% off, if I could convert her XM to Sirius. Anybody know if this is possible? I don't want to buy another radio for her.

CW

Yes, however you need to find the Sirius tuner for that car. You will also be able to use that antenna if you so choose.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Yes, however you need to find the Sirius tuner for that car. You will also be able to use that antenna if you so choose.
I thought the tuners were the radio?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
I thought the tuners were the radio?
The head unit controls the tuner and displays the information. The actual tuner is a box that mounts out of sight and mind. For example in the 04-08 F150s it is mounted below the radio.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is what I found:

http://www.vaistech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...vert+to+sirius

This site has one for GM but I could not find a Honda one. Try searching around:
http://www.tss-radio.com/

Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
ive heard from a guy who knows his stuff about electronics that either brand will work with any sat ready hu but thats just what ive heard

Old 01-20-2008, 09:27 PM
DRJ
Using the same equipment..........no

Quick Reply: Can factory XM be converted to Sirius?