Pre-1997 Models

89 f150 frame off resto-mod + new member

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 f150 frame off resto-mod + new member

Hey everyone

Licensed canadian mechanic turned teacher here.
My technological resume consists of flat rate dealership life accompanied by a mutitude of vehicles ownership history and experiences on 4 wheels and 2. Moving on, and my reasons for being here.

I Have my class's working our way through a restoration of my wife's grandfather's truck. He was the original owner of the truck and recently passed away. Kind of a tribute build if you will.

Truck is a 89 F150 custom 4×2. Reg cab long box, 5L, 5 speed manual. This truck is in really good condition, I've done many of the Toyota frame recalls on the Tacoma/tundra and this ford came apart 10x better than any of those newer Toyota's.

-The frame had 2 minor cancerous tumors. Both right in front of the right side radius arms.
-The back of the cab will need some work as well where it meets the floor pans.
-Minor wheel well work on the box
-Converting the front end to a 96 (cosmetic) although the rad support was toast.

THE PLAN
Full frame off restoration
Coyote aluminator swap
Trans options to be considered later
Powder coat frame
Lower 3-5 inches. (Depending on kits available)
Nice tires + wheels
Auto meter gauges
Original interior restored

Looking for anyone to contribute your 2 cents, good supliers, anyone's who's done this swap etc. I'm not a huge ford guy. But I do have a 86 mustang which I love!

Can't wait to have 2 ford's parked in the garage for all the Chev fans to gawk over.

Pics to follow.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 PM

The mustang - 331 stroker - 360hp at the wheels<br/>Currently not drivable. Something in transmission is broken

Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 AM
I like that you're doing one of these EFI trucks. Not a lot of guys using them for projects that I've seen, so it will stand out from the crowd. Don't have any advice but this seems like it's shaping up to be one badass build. I can't wait to see the results.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:36 PM
One thing you will run into on the front end conversion is the bumper mounts. They changed the front of the frame (added crumple zones) on the 9th generation so the bumpers mount totally differently. You will need to cut the angle bracket mounts that are welded on the donor truck frame and weld them to the project truck frame - or fab something.
Otherwise it's a pretty simple swap (a little wiring to sort on the lights maybe).

Old 06-16-2016, 09:22 PM

So heres the powdercoated frame. Had some off gasing which resulted in some of the surface not be 100% smooth - but it looks bad ***!

Questions
Best lowering kits out there for these trucks?

And what's your opinions on locker in thr current resr end vs new limited slip diff

Last edited by rsmyth; 06-16-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Appreciate that bit of information. It will.cruah me to weld to.the freshly powder coated frame. We Will fab brackets.

Thanks for the message.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Noahfreak
I like that you're doing one of these EFI trucks. Not a lot of guys using them for projects that I've seen, so it will stand out from the crowd. Don't have any advice but this seems like it's shaping up to be one badass build. I can't wait to see the results.
Your absolutely right. We don't see enough quality builds from this era. Can't wait to get this thing rolling

Old 06-16-2016, 11:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Love the effort you're putting into it. The hoods on that series of trucks are a major pain to keep paint on. I have a 91 Bronco, Midnight Blue with the Gold bottom and top. The hood looks horrible on it now. I'm considering Plasti-coating or using colored Rhinoliner on the entire truck but that's a next year project. I've rebuilt everything under the truck and hood, now it's the interior and doors to get 100%. Obviously you are going to paint it. Might take a look at the Broncos with the Victorian factory paint jobs, They had one that was a burnt red with gold fillers. One of the best looking trucks on the road even today. Since you're going Coyote, might as well put the Select Shift behind it with 3.73 gears assuming somewhere near the factory size tires. I'm not a fan of lowered trucks but that a personal kinda thing. Cars, lowered can look great. Trucks, not so much.

My Bronco looks like this one except for the hood and I have Alcoa wheels on it. Its seen some serious 4 wheeling in its lifetime. The stock wheels were a known weak link. I'm running the Michelin LTX 12.50x 31x 15 tires right now.

Quick Reply: 89 f150 frame off resto-mod + new member