Pre-1997 Models

No start cranks but slow or no crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start cranks but slow or no crank

87 Ford f150 4.9 inline 6 About threw months ago just completely died while running at idle so I called AAA to jump it to see if the battery was the problem an it was good and he said that it's probably the fuel pump so I towed it back home and put a new fuel pump on and still no start then I started to look at the distributor an it look pretty bad so I replaced that with the ignition module an re-timed the engine still nothingask then I replaced the spark plugs and all the plug wires and still no start so the battery started the weak and was already 5 years old so I just got new battery and still no start but I noticed that the starter was smoking. Everything is getting power so I don't understand what the problem is would appreciate any feedback with help this problem

Last edited by howebray45; 05-07-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You need to list what engine and year it is and I need to move the post to a forum where you will get more help.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Global Moderator &

One possibility is that the battery was originally weak but when you replaced the distributor, the timing is now too advanced causing the engine to be hard to turnover. That would put a strain on the starter just to turn it over.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:48 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Profile says 1987, so it should go into pre-97. With a distributor and ICM that would substantiate that.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
Profile says 1987, so it should go into pre-97. With a distributor and ICM that would substantiate that.
I guessed that as well, just wanted his confirmation.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 PM
This could be as simple as a bad ground. It happens a lot - bad connections cause a lot of problems.
First thing to do is check all the connections in the battery/ starter circuit (both ends) and make sure the connections are shiny clean and tight.
If that doesn't help, you may be looking at a new starter or one of the cables could be bad.

It's always possible your timing chain jumped (5.0, 5.8, not 4.9) and is causing this, but start with the connections.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by 1995XLT
This could be as simple as a bad ground. It happens a lot - bad connections cause a lot of problems.
First thing to do is check all the connections in the battery/ starter circuit (both ends) and make sure the connections are shiny clean and tight.
If that doesn't help, you may be looking at a new starter or one of the cables could be bad.

It's always possible your timing chain jumped (5.0, 5.8, not 4.9) and is causing this, but start with the connections.
Look at the connections to the battery and positive cable was trashed so I got new one does it need to be grounded to the starter?

Old 05-08-2016, 03:24 PM
The ground wire can go to either the block or the starter mount bolts.

Even if the new + cable makes it crank better, go over all the connections - battery, solenoid, starter and bottom ground connection. You don't want to be back messing with this again.

Undo them, clean up the wire end and the nut contact surface with some sandpaper and then snug them up good. Don't break them, but just make sure they're all tight.

If this problem comes down to a bad positive cable - cross your fingers - at least you have some new parts on your truck. Probably could have done without the aggravation and expense though.

Quick Reply: No start cranks but slow or no crank