Pre-1997 Models

What is this part called?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this part called?

Hi again,
1995 Ford F150, V8, 5.0 RWD

What is this part called? Its behind the muffler pipe and in front of a square box (yah, what's that square box called too!).

It seems to be leaking and I want to see if it is something I can fix myself with the correct gasket or bring it to someone.

I was told to spray clean it first, then take another pic, so I can clearly see where the leak is coming from.

If it is just a gasket thing, what do garages usually charge for that? Would I expect some other problems besides a leak in the gasket?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:45 PM
That would be the transmission pan(square box thing) it looks like the pan gasket may be leaking.it also appears that the rear main seal may be leaking as well

Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by fallguy666
That would be the transmission pan(square box thing) it looks like the pan gasket may be leaking.it also appears that the rear main seal may be leaking as well
Yikes!! Is this a big job?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by fallguy666
So the transmission pan is the square on the left on the pic. The leak appears to be near that circular thing. The "rear main seal" is the part you are talking about where the circular thing is right?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Correct. Yes it is a fairly big job,

It looks like your oil drain plug is weeping a bit also, and while you are at it take a look at the valve cover gaskets.

Your truck is pushing 20 years old, it's kinda normal with that many years.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
Correct. Yes it is a fairly big job,

It looks like your oil drain plug is weeping a bit also, and while you are at it take a look at the valve cover gaskets.

Your truck is pushing 20 years old, it's kinda normal with that many years.
Yah, pretty old. I was reading somewhere that its not worth it. It'll drip ... drip ... drip but not enough to empty it out. It just looks a lot on the ground cause it spreads.

And if I change the oil twice a year or twice every 15 months, it should be fine right?

Old 05-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Before you go throwing parts at fixing leaks you need to clean it all off and pinpoint exactly where the leaks are.

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^Truth

Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Before you go throwing parts at fixing leaks you need to clean it all off and pinpoint exactly where the leaks are.
Yep yep! Gonna get some of that engine cleaner this week and clean it out and see where's this coming from.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 PM
The rear main seal leaking is a very common Ford problem.

Believe it or not, sitting is usually the reason.

The seal sits for too long and gets harder. So when you use it, it will start to leak to the point you can no longer ignore it.

The transmission pan is most likely just loose. Might see if you can get at least a 1/4 turn on the bolts after making sure they are snug.

To fix the rear main seal leak, you'd have to pull the transmission. The seal is only about $20, but the labor to replace it is $150 to $250 or higher.

From your posts, I really suggest you get someone who can do the job and know what the parts are called.....lol!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by dfwtxpatrick

From your posts, I really suggest you get someone who can do the job and know what the parts are called.....lol!
No joke! That's definitely something I'll get someone who knows how to do it. I think I'll push this project back a little bit. I can live with a little leak.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 PM
My 90 has been doing that for awhile, weeps just a little. But yea, usually from sitting. Mine's not used a whole lot.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 AM
I do not think that is a transmission fluid leak. More than likely just oil from the rear main seal and a lot of road grime and debris over the years.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by coobies5
I do not think that is a transmission fluid leak. More than likely just oil from the rear main seal and a lot of road grime and debris over the years.
I agree w/ Coobies5.

My 94 does have a small leak from the rear main, but I won't mess with it until after I move.

Then I'll pull the motor & tranny to do complete seal replacements.

The truck runs great, just gonna make sure it won't have problems in the future.

Quick Reply: What is this part called?