Pre-1997 Models

MAF conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF conversion

I have an 89 F150 with 5.0. I am wanting to do the MAF conversion. Since it has a C6 not electronic, could I use a computer from a manual mustang?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
As far as I know yes. Any 88-93 Mustang computer should work, because they did NOT have an electronic transmission. So a manual will work, but is not required.

Here is some more info:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...AirConversion/

Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Thats good! That makes it a little easier to do since I have a C6. Also, has anyone checked out this; http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ang-p-418.html They say you dont need the MAF sensor with this kit.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ghost23
Thats good! That makes it a little easier to do since I have a C6. Also, has anyone checked out this; http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ang-p-418.html They say you dont need the MAF sensor with this kit.
Jinkies!!!! I don't know that the kit will work with our trucks. That kit is designed for use in a mustang. the mustang 5.0 H.O has a different firing order.
13726548 mustang f.o
15426378 truck 5.0 f.o

Edit: But I'm willing to bet that if they got that far with their product you may be able call them and see if they make a kit for the truck 5.0. I imagine it would be simple for them to reconfigure the firing order.

Last edited by bikertrash3531; 10-08-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 PM
It would be more complicated with that set up in the long run IMO. You'd have to tune it everytime you did something to the motor. With MAF it'll detect the changes and make most changes accordingly. A tune helps with a MAF set up don't get me wrong, but it would run fine without one.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by booba5185
It would be more complicated with that set up in the long run IMO. You'd have to tune it everytime you did something to the motor. With MAF it'll detect the changes and make most changes accordingly. A tune helps with a MAF set up don't get me wrong, but it would run fine without one.
I agree but I've heard of the "export" ecu for the Mustang. I know a guy here in town that's running around in an old Kansas HP Mustang SSP that is (i think factory) equipped with that ecu. He has modded the Hell outta that thing, all without a tune. The story is that it is programmed with a wider operating range than the other ecu's. You can get them from Ford but unless you have a core export to turn in, expect to pay big bones for it.

BTW. To the o.p. Tuning a system like megasquirt is not for the novice. If this is the route you want to go, make sure you can get good tech support for your system. There is also other EEC tuning companies like Motorvation and Tweecer. Motorvation can take your mods and build a chip for it. The downside is everytime you want something changed, your sending the chip back to them. Tweecer, OTH, offers a real time, chip based tuning system for speed density. They have a list of ecu's that they support. If yours isn't supported you could find one that is. The nice thing about Tweecer is that they do support Speed Density and MAF. The Motorvation site isn't very informative but I've talked them on the phone. I was referred to them by Troyer Performance cause they don't like Speed Density.
Go to:
www.Tweecer.com
And see what you think.
Also I found this if you do want MAF. A little pricey but looks like everything is there for a swap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...3#ht_500wt_981
This the route I think I might go.

Last edited by bikertrash3531; 10-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah I checked out Tweecer last week. Looks like a nice setup. The megasquirt guys sent me an email and they do have this for a truck. Their system uses a MAP sensor they said. As for the firing order, yes you have to install a different cam and change the injector firing order. I have a tuner on my atv and built the fuel map for it so I think I would be ok with tuning. I know just about every MAF conversion I have seen, they list a 88-93 Mustang eec iv. Maybe these guys are having them re tuned for the truck. I just found the Cobra one cheap and thought it might work.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
What other mods are you doing to the engine that makes you think you need to do a MAF conversion. Unless they are substantial, it is a waste of time, effort and money.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:14 PM
I dont care about the time doing it. I like working on stuff like that. Everything takes effort. I found parts cheap. Mods will come at some time and I want the truck to be ready. Biggest reason, because I want to do it.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 PM
I dont care about the time doing it. I like working on stuff like that. Everything takes effort. I found parts cheap. Mods will come at some time and I want the truck to be ready. Biggest reason, because I want to do it.
What other reason do you need? I've thought of every other way I could build some performance out of my 5.0 and its really not that feesable without MAF or the megasquirt set up. I like the setup on eBay cause it seems I won't have to change my cam or injector timing.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by bikertrash3531
What other reason do you need? I've thought of every other way I could build some performance out of my 5.0 and its really not that feesable without MAF or the megasquirt set up. I like the setup on eBay cause it seems I won't have to change my cam or injector timing.
Thats right! Its just because we want to. We all know we need a MAF conversion so we can do just about any mods. For myself I want a bigger cam, maybe a GT40 intake and heads, 24lb injectors. All the good stuff! I know the eec iv would need a new tune for the 24 lb injectors.

Does anyone know a good way or link to get rip of all the smog and egr stuff? I know that you can get a smog pump eliminator pulley and egr delete block off plate. My thing is, what about all the vac lines? Ive heard to plug them all off. But what about removing them all together. Truck also has no cats.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 AM
On these truck 5.0's, are the throttle plate supposed to open all the way or almost all the way. I thought I ran across a post or youtube video of someone rigging them up to open all the way. They used a zip tie to do this. Anyone seen that?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Without MAF, it'd make the truck run lean, the ECC would have no way of knowing the extra air is coming in.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Despite not having cats the pump still directs air to the heads to help burn off unburnt hydrocarbons. If these hydrocarbons got to the o2 sensor it will create, imo, undesired results. I don't know that you could tune around it. which would make it a problem passing an emissions test if you have them where you live. Also you'd have to block off all the passages to the heads as well. plus it would depend on the heads you plan to swap. I don't know if the Gt40 heads have emission provisions or not. personally I plan to keep all of the emissions in working condition because the eec depends on it to help calculate fuel and timing properly. IMO the more power that you make with mods, the less parasitic loss you'll have by turning the smog pump.
BTW with you being new to the site, I must warn you about talking about removing emissions equipment. As it is illegal and some other members might come down on you pretty hard about it. they seem to think it might get the site in trouble talking about breaking the law. personally I feel its your truck, idea, and money do what you want. just trying to give you a heads up is all.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 AM
On these truck 5.0's, are the throttle plate supposed to open all the way or almost all the way. I thought I ran across a post or youtube video of someone rigging them up to open all the way. They used a zip tie to do this. Anyone seen that?
Sounds like a presidential solution to me.

Quick Reply: MAF conversion