Pre-1997 Models

now a heating problem on 95

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now a heating problem on 95

On the way to work in about 6 miles the temp gauge ran clear to the right but stopped before crossing the white line . I pulled over and checked the level . less than a pop can to top it off . Went on the way again and it will go clear to the right but does not cross over into red overheat zone .
same thing on the way home tonight . coolant is new and full because I just put intake gaskets on a week and a half ago . Water pump was replaced 2(?) years ago . no leakage around pump at all . thermostat was replaced a year or less ago ( nothing fancy just a cheap stock style although I remenber them trying to sell me a $16 dollar one now ) . Belt is a gatorback with less than 20,000 miles on it . no loss of coolant at all .
tonight i drove it to get gas 2 miles one way and it did the same thing . It cools or drops down quickly at the stop sign but back at speed it goes back up . I let it idle for 25 minute tonight and checked the coolant with a liquid thermometer and never went to 150* . The gauge in the dash stayed right in the middle between the R & M . I don't seeany evidence of any belt / pulley slipping on the water pump .
Anyone have any ideas ? Thank you for your help

Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check your radiator for junk/bugs in the front. Also let it warm up and check with your hand or a thermometer for a temprature difference at the top and bottom of the radiator. If the bottom is cooler then you have a blockage in the rad.

Could also be the fan clutch. Either way sounds like an air flow issue.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
How would I know or test the clutch ?

Thank you

Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Give it a spin after the motor has warmed up-if it spins freely with zero resistance, then it's bad.

WHEN YOU TRY TO SPIN THE FAN BY HAND DO IT WITH THE ENGINE TURNED OFF!

You probably know that, but I don't want any body to get hurt. Also I'm sure there are better methods to check it and some body will chime in soon.

Did you check the radiator for debris? Is it cooler on the bottom than the top?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Could also be the sensor for your gauge.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I let it run tonight until it got up to temp . I ran up the rpms by hand and the gauge went up like it did going down the highway . The coolant never got the thermometer to 150* .
I don't know if its my imagination or not but as I ran the throttle up it seemed like the fan was going slower ? I did lay my hand on the radiator and the top was slightly hotter than the bottom . It also felt like the lower to middle passenger side was warmer than the lower middle .

I went ahead and took the fan off . When holding it by hand and trying to spin it it has just a slight bit of drag for 1/2 to 1 revolution then it spins freely for a while . After it stops and I imediatley spin it again ther is no drag at all . another thing that has me thinking this may be the problem is some time ago when I replaced the belt it seemed like when starting from a stop it semmed like the engine was not as smooth taking off . Almost like I had not gotten the belt in the grooves on the pulleys . That was not the case so its been doing this a while . I also read in search on here that most guys are running between the R &M on the gauge . I have not been there for as long I can remenber . I have also been running up on temp for awhile( not as high as the other day) but it top out and quickly drop back down . It also appeared as the clutch was turning and never slowed down the whole time as soon as I started the truck tonight .

thank you

Last edited by rigid1; 03-09-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM
the condensor and cooler in front of radiator are clear of debris . I can see light from the radiator fins out through the fron of the truck .

Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
You might have a combo issue. Sounds like the fan clutch is not quire as it should be, and you may need a flush or rodding for the radiator.

If you can look at another vehicle and compare the fan clutch action to yours that may help you narrow it down.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you don't care about noise or gas mileage, put a solid fan on it.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM
I bought a used clutch from the salvage yard for $25 and it brought the temp back down to where it had been . Around the A in normal . Sometimes it it may get to the L then comes down . From where some guys on here say the are running it looks like the radiator could use some work also . As far as I'm concerned its fixed now . I still have a few other issues that need a little attention but I'm about tired of the nickels and dimes !
Thanks for the help !

Quick Reply: now a heating problem on 95