Pre-1997 Models

AOD shifting too soon and slippig a little too.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOD shifting too soon and slippig a little too.

well i finally got the time to take my truck into work and get it up in the air to change the oil pan gasket that has been leakin for a while. well i guess you need to pull the motor loose from the trans to get the pan all the way out, because i could not get the motor jacked up high enough to clear the belhousing with the pan. but i tried, possibly a little too hard because in my infinite wizdom i pulled the tranny bolts loose and jacked it up too to gain a little clearance on the crossmember. now i guess i effed sumthin up because it shifted funny on the way home, way too soon and just felt strange, could i have pulled the tv cable out of adjustment or bent a linkage, i didnt see a linkage that was bent or where it had hit the tranny tunnel. any ideas?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 PM
sounds like a cable adjustment to me. i had a similar issue with mine when i replaced my tranny. i couldnt get it to shift worth a damn. whenever i messed with it, it would shift either too early or too late. i had a trans shop adjust it and it shifts great now. they said theres a special tool for it but i have no clue when it comes to trannies to know what it was.

Last edited by Matts ford; 04-25-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Sounds like the Throttle Valve (TV) adjustment.
Do not recall any special tool the last time I made the adjustment.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
thanks guys, i hope i didnt screw any thing up bad enough to burn the tranny, i will look into adjusting it tomorrow any tips or huntand peck till i get it close?...or take it to a shop?wonder what that would cost?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by subford
Sounds like the Throttle Valve (TV) adjustment.
Do not recall any special tool the last time I made the adjustment.
i have no clue what it was. they showed it to me and said that it goes at the throttle body end of the cable or something like that. i dont know, like i said i'm definately not a tranny expert. i dunno, maybe they were trying to make me feel better because i couldnt get it to shift right.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by cavinandpavin
thanks guys, i hope i didnt screw any thing up bad enough to burn the tranny, i will look into adjusting it tomorrow any tips or huntand peck till i get it close?...or take it to a shop?wonder what that would cost?
most shops in my area wouldnt even worry about charging you if its just an adjustment. but i dont know the shops in your area so i couldnt tell you. if you know what your doing then go ahead and do it yourself. if not then take it to a shop.

Last edited by Matts ford; 04-25-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Two methods of TV system adjustment are available.

1. TV cable adjustment with engine off.
2. TV control pressure check and adjustment procedure with engine on.

Here is the one for the Engine off.

TV Cable Adjustment with Engine Off

Note: At accelerator pedal WOT, the transmission TV control lever will not be at its WOT stop. The wide open throttle position must not be used as a reference point for adjusting the TV control cable.

Idle Speed Affect on the TV Control Cable

The 5.0L (302 CID) EFI Engines use an air By-Pass ISC that does not affect throttle position. Therefore, idle automatic setting does not affect TV Cable adjustment.

TV Cable Adjustment Procedure, Retention Spring

1. Set parking brake and put selector in N (do not put selector in P).
2. Remove the protective cover over the cable linkage (F-150-250 and Bronco vehicles only).
3. Verify that the throttle lever is at the idle stop. If it isn't, check for binding or interference in the throttle system. Do not attempt to adjust idle stop.
4. Verify that the cable routing is free of sharp bends or pressure points and that the cable operates freely. Lubricate the TV lever ball stud with Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or -K (ESA-M1C75-B) or equivalent if necessary. Check for damage to cable or rubber boot.
5. Unlock the locking tab at the throttle body end by prying up with a small screwdriver to free the cable.

6. A retention spring must be installed on the TV control lever at the transmission, to hold it in the idle position (as far to rear as the lever will travel) with about ten pounds of force. If a suitable single spring is not available, two V8 TV return springs may be used. Attach retention spring(s) to the transmission TV lever and hook rear end of spring to the transmission case.

7. With the TV cable locking tab unlocked and the retention spring in place, rotate the transmission outer TV lever 10-30 degrees and return slowly.
8. Push down on the locking tab until flush.

9. Remove the retention spring(s) from the transmission TV lever.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:58 PM
thanks subford!, after you guys suggested that i looked it up in the manual and what you posted had the same pics but better isntructions the only questio i have is, when i put it in neutral pulled the retainer and pulled back on the tv linkage on the trans i could not get it to come back hardly at all possibly an 1/8 of an inch but it does shift better, could be a little firmer but it is way better, thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: AOD shifting too soon and slippig a little too.