Pre-1997 Models

`86 f150, steering locks up when turned fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
`86 f150, steering locks up when turned fast

Just bought the truck, when I'm maneuvering around tight spaces like parking, the truck is fine unless I turn the wheel fast, then I get belt squeel and the wheel gets heavy / basically locks up.

Since I get belt squeel at the same time, does that mean I just need to tighten the belt up?

Truck is lifted and has 35" tires, new steering box, steering pump is pretty quiet, but could it be running out of fluid when I turn it faster as well?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Check fluid level
Replace the belt, it's trashed.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:51 PM
my 93 had a similar issue about a month ago. fluid level was within the correct range just under the max line. well i got tired of it and just got a little bottle of power steering fluid while i was at walmart and filled it to the max line and it went away. i guess that little bit makes a big difference.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matts ford
my 93 had a similar issue about a month ago. fluid level was within the correct range just under the max line. well i got tired of it and just got a little bottle of power steering fluid while i was at walmart and filled it to the max line and it went away. i guess that little bit makes a big difference.
Little bottle of power steering fluid? I thought the '93 power steering systems still took type F automatic transmission fluid. Type F ATF is what I used in my '94 anyway, but I could be wrong. Check the appropriate owners manual to be sure.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by masseyman
Little bottle of power steering fluid? I thought the '93 power steering systems still took type F automatic transmission fluid. Type F ATF is what I used in my '94 anyway, but I could be wrong. Check the appropriate owners manual to be sure.
it calls for the type f. my power steering system was filled with ps fluid when i put my motor in, so thats what i poored in.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't think the belt is trashed, it has about 10k and 1.5 years of use on it, and it looks fine to me.

I think I'll just try tightening up the adjustment on it and adding some type f to the p/s pump, jacking the front and going lock to lock a few times to work any air out of the system.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 PM
The belt is glazed; that's why it squeals. You might be able to save it with a bottle of belt dressing but probably not. It's not like the belt is made of gold. It's a service part.

If you overtighten the belt in an attempt to quiet it, you could end up trashing something else like the water pump or the PS pump.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 PM
While you'd expect a belt to last at least a couple years, if it's giving you squeals after 10k miles it's nothing that unusual. Try some belt dressing, otherwise I'd just replace it. Rapid turning puts a lot of load on the pump, the belt slips. Seems to be that simple.

My 93 calls for Type F, but regular PS fluid was in there, so I've added only that. It's noisy, but works fine.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Suspended
He's got 35" tires, that's more stress on the pump than it's designed for. That may be the problem.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I spent some time this weekend on the truck, I replaced all of the steering components after the pitman arm (which is a rancho drop arm), and tightened up the belt, and it's 200% better.

So long as I am slightly rolling, the belt won't slip, I think this is just something I'm going to need to get used to.

also - does anyone have a reference for adjusting the steering box? The p/o said he replaced it right before I got the truck, along with having extra plates welded to the frame around where the box mounts, but he mentioned he did not adjust it because the steering linkages/ti-rods needed replacing. The truck drives right now that I've replaced them, but it feels like the wheel takes 90* more throw to change directions then it should.

but that's compared to my mustangs / chevy blazer that I've driven. My only experience with a ford truck was a stock height 2wd 6cyl `95 f150 that I had for 2 years in high school about 10 years ago, haha. I honestly can't remember if the steering felt tighter/more responsive or not.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
to adjust the steering box there is a nut and screw on top towards the front of the box. you loosen the nut(i think 9/16) while using a flat tip screw driver to hold the screw. screw the screw in to tighten it.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
to adjust the steering box there is a nut and screw on top towards the front of the box. you loosen the nut(i think 9/16) while using a flat tip screw driver to hold the screw. screw the screw in to tighten it.
about how much adjustment is allowed on the box? Should I make changes in full turns, 1/4 turns, etc?

Other racks I've adjusted (yes I know, different from a box) called for 2 1/4 turns back from bottomed out, then adjusting 1/4 turn in/out from there, or something along those lines.

Quick Reply: `86 f150, steering locks up when turned fast