Pre-1997 Models

Need help with fuel pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with fuel pump issue

I have a 1990 f150 5.0 302ci with dual tanks. My rear tank was leaking so i took it out completely. There was 2 hoses going into the pump and a hose that looks like a vent or something that just pops in the top of the tank.I sealed each of th hoses tight. The truck started up with no hesitation at all and ran fine. I then drove all they way down to college with no problems. Once down here i shut the truck off and walked away. I then returned to my truck after about 30mins. and went to start it. It just cranked over and the fuel pump never turned on. I checked all the fuses and connections and everything was good but i am still getting no pressure out of the fuel pump. Any ideas??

Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Did you check the fuel pump relay?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I take it the pump does not run for the one second when you turn on the key.
First try resetting the Inertia switch by pushing down on the button on top. It is located in the passengers kick panel.

If that does not help then ground pin #6 of the DLC (test) connector and turn on the key and see if the fuel pumps run. Let us know one way or the other so we can tell you the next step.

The DLC (test) connector.

/

Last edited by subford; 10-19-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:02 PM
I checked the fuel pump relay. It was covered in mud and debri but was in tact and had good connections so it wasn't that. When i turn the key on the fuel pump doesn't run at all but i am going to check the ground pin tommorrow in the sunlight like subford said. I also have another problem that i was wondering if i could get some help with. There is a piece of tubing that connects to my exhaust just past the manifolds but befor the cats. The tubing broke off completly and im trying to figure out if it would cause any damage or what it actually does. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 PM
yo kid when we brought the tank down and u cracked the electrical clip make sure it didn't fall off cause that would cause the pump not to turn on.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 PM
The broken tubing you’re referring to is the thermactor air tube. It injects air into the catalytic converter for emissions reduction.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 AM
So the thermactor air tube is no longer necessary and i can take it out completely.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:04 PM
yeah cause we dont have to pass emission in mass

Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Ok so here's the new update. I traced the lines and all the lines are fine none are broken. So decided to double check the fuses and theyh are all set. I then moved on and decided to check the relay and it is working fine. Then i did what subford said and checked the ground on the data link connector and nothing happened so i didn't know what to do so i kinda got mad. I just said wateva and ended up running a new power lead to the pump and now have to manually operate it with a toggle switch which is going to stink but i didnt feel like getting too into it because im in the middle of putting new stacks on my truck as well as my 2inch body lift so it is just going to habve to do for now. I might also weld the rear end to make it a posi to. idk yet but it would be pretty kool.

Quick Reply: Need help with fuel pump issue