5.0 mustang long tubes on an f150

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 mustang long tubes on an f150

will it work?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 AM
I dunno if they'll fit. Are they used or something? You can buy f150 longtubes for like $200. You'll prolly need to ditch the egr setup, I know they don't make ft150 ones with the egr fitting on them.

Ron

Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 PM
they should bolt up. but i think the mustang headers hang farther away off the engine. and you will have to have an exhaust shop make you piping work with them. and you can just cut holes for the egr system to work.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
i have shorties on it now. and i never remember anything about an egr hookup. is that the skinny tube that goes into the cat?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by PURExCOUNTRY
i have shorties on it now. and i never remember anything about an egr hookup. is that the skinny tube that goes into the cat?
arent you trying to get rid of all your emmisions parts? if so dont worry about the egr.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:38 AM
They may bolt to the heads, but that is about it. Nothing else will end up in the right spot.

The AIR tube connects into the y-pipe, which will be eliminated with long tubes. Why are you wanting to take off all the smog equipment? if you say so you can unleash all the horsepower that the SMOG pump robs I am going to laugh at you.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by GTRider245
...if you say so you can unleash all the horsepower that the SMOG pump robs I am going to laugh at you.
Think about it, the smog pump probably uses almost half a horsepower

I'm with you on this. Most of the smog gear on these engines is so fully integrated that it costs nothing to run it and produces major benefits in air quality. I just don't understand the urge to rip it all off. It's perfectly possible to build a very powerful completely smog compliant engine so why dismantle the smog gear just for the sake of it? I guess a lot of these guys are way too young to remember what the air quality was like in our cities back in the 60s. There were days they had to shut down the schools and send everybody home because the kids were all getting sick from the crap the factories were pumping out. I have no desire to return to that scenario.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:25 PM
with 1997 being the "first" full year of OBD-II. My 1996 is in the middle. So for me to do any "performance enhancements" to it i either have to convert everything over to mustang stuff to keep the fuel injection or put a carb on it.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
Think about it, the smog pump probably uses almost half a horsepower

I'm with you on this. Most of the smog gear on these engines is so fully integrated that it costs nothing to run it and produces major benefits in air quality. I just don't understand the urge to rip it all off. It's perfectly possible to build a very powerful completely smog compliant engine so why dismantle the smog gear just for the sake of it? I guess a lot of these guys are way too young to remember what the air quality was like in our cities back in the 60s. There were days they had to shut down the schools and send everybody home because the kids were all getting sick from the crap the factories were pumping out. I have no desire to return to that scenario.
Glad someone else knows what they are talking about.

Quick Reply: 5.0 mustang long tubes on an f150