Pre-1997 Models

EGR valve? 91 302

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy EGR valve? 91 302

Im having ALOT of problems with my newly aquired 91 single cab 302 f150. seems to be pretty stock. Took it to a friend in H-town off of 610, from here is a 45 min drive. On the highway it did just fine no hesitation or any of that jazz. What ive replaced so far (all done by myself) Spark plugs/wires, rotor and cap, fuel filter, PCV valve, IAC, air and breather filter. When he pulled the computer codes there were only 3 faults! I was kind of shocked! They were the EGR vavle, Timing (that was a no brainer), and I think he said catalytic converter (correct me if im wrong not toooo sure on that one). So after the highway time with some injector cleaner in the front gas tank (heard of the back tank problem havent tried it yet but i know it works ) we came to a stop and it reved up and down and then died. I was kind of dissapointed He cleaned the fuel injectors with some solution (havent talked to him het so not sure if that helped). It feels like it has no power until about 3 or 4th gear, then she getties up and goes also it has 180110miles on it. I also tried to time it but kinda gave up on doing so couldnt find the marks and couldnt get it right with the distributor. So any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated, specially you steve oh master of this forum! BTW im kinda new to working on vehicles so yeah...but im learning FAST!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Codes don't identify PARTS - they ID circuits. And there's no code for timing. But until you post the actual code numbers, I can't even guess. You need to start with basic diagnosis: fuel pressure, ignition test (Haynes), compression test, vacuum test, remove/clean/tighten all terminals on the 2 heavy battery wires...

Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Red face

sorry steve didnt know that they didnt identify parts....thats what i was told that the codes pointed too..also i have a chiltons book borrowed from a friend with a 91 extended cab f150 I think I can get the codes tommorow from the guy that pulled them if he has them. Also do you have clear diagrams of the vaccuum lines? Ive looked at the ones in the book and they arent too clear. For the compression my mechanic did that and he said it was fine, no loss, and about the terminals I probably need to anyways its pretty bad. New battery though What do you recomend on cleaning the terminals? and I can pick up a fuel gauge from orilleys or something? Just Wondering. Thanks I really do appreciate this!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Unhappy

I got more information today about it, didnt get the codes :/ but i was told I had some spark plug wires mismatched (dont know how that happened) he found the timing marks to time it (i couldnt find them I SWEAR!) and when he went to start it the starter FELL OFF! I was like HOW DOES A STARTER FALL OFF?!@?!@# bad news! So hes going to put that back on (hope its not damaged) and time it and see where that leads to. Im pretty sure this isnt going to end well for my wallet

Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 AM
You can pull codes with a paperclip anytime anywhere. The only vacuum diagram that's accurate for YOUR truck is under the hood. If it's gone or damaged, try to find the closest one here:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&menuIndex1=32
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d800ce605.jsp

If you can't find it there, click my black Bronco in my signature (probably only visible under my first post in this thread) and look in the Diagrams album, or the Junkyard Broncos album.

Did this guy put the starter on? If so, it's his fault that it fell off. Make sure he applies some blue threadlocker to the bolts this time.

Last edited by Steve83; 10-23-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Unhappy

No he didnt put the starter on. Im pretty sure he did but if he didnt ill go back after him and do it. Whenever I get my truck back im going to double check all this "work" hes been doing. I dont think I saw a vaccuum diagram under the hood, or I might have missed it, where are they? and the first link for the diagrams doesnt work :/ I really do appreciate this and im getting quite frustrated myself.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I fixed the link.

A '91 VECI label could be on the core support, on the air filter cover, or on the hood. Click my black Bronco below & look in the Junkyard Broncos album.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 PM
well i got it back today it had several things wrong with it. Vaccum lines(3 of them were broken IM A RETARD!) MAP sensor replaced and rear seal on the tranny and then he also cleaned the fuel injectors! $341.24 later and then what i put into myself its running perfect cept the tranny gets confused sometimes and we also changed the brakes and i need to replace a rotor :/ so it wouldnt pass inspection because of a licesence plate light DOME! ARG! and we kept blowing fuses and whatnot and GAH! well its all better now and the error codes were 14 41 33 11

Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 PM
oh yeah and timming!

Quick Reply: EGR valve? 91 302