Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Economy

I Was Wondering What Kind Of Mileage Every Body Else Were Getting On These Late Model Ford Pickups.i've Got A 1992 Ford F150 I'm Getting Like 5 Or 6 Miles To The Gallon.i've Completely Tuned It It Runs Great So Something Has To Be Wrong.i Have A Show Truck With A 428 Shelby Fully Built That Probally Does That Well.any Help Would Be Appreciated Dmattingly

Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What modifications does it have? What size tires? Do the cruise, speedo, & odo work properly? How are you measuring the gas it's using?

Read this:

Old 09-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Fuel Economy

I HAVEN'T DONE ANY MODS TO ENGINE IT'S ALL STOCK WITH COMPLETE TUNEUP,PLUGS, WIRES ,CAP, ROTOR,FUEL FILTER THE WHOLE NINE. I'VE REBUILT SEVERAL 302'S AND USALLY THEY GET DECENT FUEL ECONOMY AND WITH FUEL INJECTION YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD DO EVEN BETTER. I HAVE AN ASTRO I BOUGHT NEW WITH CENTRAL MUTI PORT INJECTION AND JUST TORE IT DOWN AND REPLACED EVERYTHING UNDER THE INTAKE BUT THEY'LL START DUMPING FUEL SO BAD YOU GET SCARED TO DRIVE THEM BECAUSE THE FUMES ARE SO BAD. I HAVE A 1968 FORD RANGER SHORTBED PICKUP IN THE GARAGE WITH A 428 SHELBY,FULL CAM ,HEADERS ,PERFORMER INTAKE AND 950 DUEL LINE HOLLEY AND IT GETS ABOUT AS GOOD MILAGE AS THIS 92 F150 WITH A STOCK 302.I THOUGHT I MIGHT HAVE A BAD INJECTOR OR TWO BUT THIS THING RUNS PERFECT AND IDLES PERFECT. Any ideas would be appreciated.
dmattingly

Old 09-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by dmattingly
I HAVEN'T DONE ANY MODS TO ENGINE IT'S ALL STOCK WITH COMPLETE TUNEUP,PLUGS, WIRES ,CAP, ROTOR,FUEL FILTER THE WHOLE NINE. I'VE REBUILT SEVERAL 302'S AND USALLY THEY GET DECENT FUEL ECONOMY AND WITH FUEL INJECTION YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD DO EVEN BETTER. I HAVE AN ASTRO I BOUGHT NEW WITH CENTRAL MUTI PORT INJECTION AND JUST TORE IT DOWN AND REPLACED EVERYTHING UNDER THE INTAKE BUT THEY'LL START DUMPING FUEL SO BAD YOU GET SCARED TO DRIVE THEM BECAUSE THE FUMES ARE SO BAD. I HAVE A 1968 FORD RANGER SHORTBED PICKUP IN THE GARAGE WITH A 428 SHELBY,FULL CAM ,HEADERS ,PERFORMER INTAKE AND 950 DUEL LINE HOLLEY AND IT GETS ABOUT AS GOOD MILAGE AS THIS 92 F150 WITH A STOCK 302.I THOUGHT I MIGHT HAVE A BAD INJECTOR OR TWO BUT THIS THING RUNS PERFECT AND IDLES PERFECT. Any ideas would be appreciated.
dmattingly
THE SPEEDO AND EVERYTHING WORKS AND I'M RUNNING STANDARD 235/15 TRUCK TIRES.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:02 PM

You don't have to quote yourself, or even reply to yourself to add a comment. You can edit your post to add more info before anyone else replies to the thread.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Since it "runs great" the obvious mileage killers like a clogged converter seem unlikely. I don't think it's possible for the EFI system to be using that much fuel under normal circumstances without something triggering a code, so:

1) Does your check engine light work? Is it on? If it doesn't work, fix it and pull codes. If it does work and it's not on, it's extremely unlikely that you are processing 3X the normal amount of fuel through the engine.

2) Do you have twin tanks? If so, have you checked mileage on both tanks or just one? There is a known problem (and a Ford recall) with fuel transferring from one tank to the other.

3) Have you checked the fuel system for external leaks?

Old 09-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Fuel Economy

Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
Since it "runs great" the obvious mileage killers like a clogged converter seem unlikely. I don't think it's possible for the EFI system to be using that much fuel under normal circumstances without something triggering a code, so:

1) Does your check engine light work? Is it on? If it doesn't work, fix it and pull codes. If it does work and it's not on, it's extremely unlikely that you are processing 3X the normal amount of fuel through the engine.

2) Do you have twin tanks? If so, have you checked mileage on both tanks or just one? There is a known problem (and a Ford recall) with fuel transferring from one tank to the other.

3) Have you checked the fuel system for external leaks?
I CHANGED SOME PARTS DUE TO THE ENGINE LIGHT COMING ON AND FIXED THEM SO THE ENGINE LINE WORKS AND I HAD THE CONVERTER CHECKED,THEY SAID IT WAS RUNNING FAIRLY COOL WHICH MEANS IT'S NOT BAD.AS FOR THE TANKS PUMPING FUEL BACK AND FORTH I'VE CHECKED THAT TOO.I'M CONSIDERED A REAL GOOD MACHANIC AND THIS HAS ME STUMPED,I THINK IF IT KEEPS IT UP I'M GOING TO FIND IT A NEW HOME HOME. I LIKE THESE LITTLE 302 ENGINES BUT NOT ENOUNGH TO PAY 3 TO 4 DOLLARS A GALLON FOR GAS AND GET MAYBE 5 OR 6 MPG.THESE LITTLE 302'S WILL RUN FOREVER BUT THEIR BAD ABOUT THE MAINS ESPECIALLY THE REAR MAIN TEARING OUT THE REAR MAIN OIL SEAL. YOU CAN REPLACE IT AND IT WILL START LEAKING AGAIN IN A WEEK,SO THE BEST THING IS USE MILODON 4 BOLT MAINCAPS ON A REBUILD, YOU DRILL THEM AT AN ANGLE AND YOU CAN BUILD ONE WITH A THOUSAND HORSEPOWER AND NOT LOSE A BEARING. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE MAIN THRUST BEARING WERE IN THE WRONG PLACE ON THE 302. BUT IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THIS I SURELY APPRECIATE IT THIS OLD TRUCK BELONGED TO MY UNCLE WHO PASSED AWAY AND WAS LIKE A FATHER TO ME AND I REALLY HATE TO PART WITH IT.
DMATTINGLY

Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 AM
no more caps lock it hurtsme old *****

Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm not reading any more ALLCAPS posts. If you have trouble reading small letters, you can reset your screen resolution to make them bigger, or switch Windows to use large fonts, or type in ALLCAPS in a text editor like Word and then change case to "Sentence case". But if you want me to keep reading, ALLCAPS won't do it.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but I have eye problems, too, and that gives me headaches. It's also conisdered YELLING on the internet, and it's widely discouraged. Some BBSs will ban you for it. Read these:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51632
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19566
http://projectboil.pixel10.co.uk/posting/Posting.html

Last edited by Steve83; 10-03-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:50 PM
steve83

Originally Posted by Steve83
I'm not reading any more ALLCAPS posts. If you have trouble reading small letters, you can reset your screen resolution to make them bigger, or switch Windows to use large fonts, or type in ALLCAPS in a text editor like Word and then change case to "Sentence case". But if you want me to keep reading, ALLCAPS won't do it.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but I have eye problems, too, and that gives me headaches. It's also conisdered YELLING on the internet, and it's widely discouraged. Some BBSs will ban you for it.
DO ME A FAVOR AXXXXXX DON'T ANSWER ANY MORE OF MY [POST!
DMATTINGLY

Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Suspended
DMATTINGLY
You're an idiot. I sincerely hope no one helps you.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:01 PM
steve83

Originally Posted by Lumadar
You're an idiot. I sincerely hope no one helps you.
One thing about me is I was rebuilding engines when you were still crapping in your pamper and rubbing it in your face,so I assure you, you couldn't clean my tools. So I just ignore idiots who think they know something when they don't.

dmattingly

Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Suspended
One thing about me is I was rebuilding engines when you were still crapping in your pamper and rubbing it in your face,so I assure you, you couldn't clean my tools. So I just ignore idiots who think they know something when they don't.

dmattingly
If you're so damn smart how come it took you 10 posts to figure out how to push the CAPS LOCK button?

Better yet, why are you sitting here posting and asking us "youngins" for help if you've got all the answers? Please...

*Oh, and just an FYI this forum as a whole will tend to just "ignore idiots who think they know something when they don't," so don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 PM
My 96 gets around 16-19 (city/highway) 300, auto, 4x4, 31x10.50R15's

Today I was surprised coming home from the base I got 23, but I was on cruise control around 70 and behind a straight job truck, no wind resistance I guess.

Got the idea from Myth-busters.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 PM
DMATTINGLY
No sweat: you're now on my IGNORE list. But what about all the e-mails you've sent me asking me dum-dum questions? Should I have answered those? Or should I have just ignored you since you're not qualified to wipe MY tools?

BTW
Don't waste the effort of sending any more e-mails. You're blocked, both thru the BBS & by your real e-mail address.

Last edited by Steve83; 10-01-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy