Pre-1997 Models

Jerky Ford ;)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerky Ford ;)

Hey Guys.

Well, I'm the proud owner of a 1992 F150, with 302. Fair amount of miles, but a great working truck over all. No oil burning, etc.

I recently bought the truck, and really only one problem. When under load on the highway going uphill it starts to buck and jerk like crazy. Take my foot off the accelerator, or jam it on and it stops bucking. Replaced the air filter, fuel filter, and rotor and distributer cap, as it was probably due anyway.

Before I start replacing sensors etc, I pulled the codes using the jumper wire, and check engine light.

117 -Came up once.
332 -3 times.
328 -Twice
327 -Once
173 -Once

It seems to point to the EGR valve. Took the EGR valve off, and the valve is free and the vacuum is ok. I'm thinking the Sensor? Don't mind replacing it, but looking for a little input before I do. Would a bad EVP sensor cause the symptoms i'm getting??

Thanks in advance.

Steeve99

Old 09-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Check fuel pressure? May be a weak pump....

Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm going throught the same exact thing...I cannot pull codes but I gave it a tune with motorcraft plugs, new 45k volt coil, new ford racing cables cap and rotor. still bucks in the same scenarios you stated. it shackes as if the motor mounts are shot I will have to check tomorrow. I've had the truck for a yr now and it started doing it EXACLY after i floored it really hard at 70 MPH rushing to get home. Ideas?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Bump please, this is driving me crazy! i tried to contact the Steeve99 but he he hasn't been on for over a yr.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
What do you mean you can not pull codes?

Have you changed the fuel filter?
If you have two tanks does it do it on both tanks?

If fuel pressure is OK (43 PSI) check the fuel pressure by taping a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and watch it when it does it.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by subford
What do you mean you can not pull codes?

Have you changed the fuel filter?
If you have two tanks does it do it on both tanks?

If fuel pressure is OK (43 PSI) check the fuel pressure by taping a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and watch it when it does it.
What i mean is I do not have the equipment or the know how on pulling the codes. I changed the fule filter already. doesn't the fuel filter get dirty gradually? this started happening five seconds after i floored it to its max capacity trying to pass a swirving motorist in the highway. can these symptoms be cause by bad motormounts as well? The truck runs beautifull at any speed as long as its floored or at 1500 rpms or higher. Tends to hesitate when the tranny shifts and I don't floor the gas pedal. seems like it doesn't like to be under 1500 rpms, bucks like crazy. I'll have to test my mounts today..

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM
You do not need any equipment to pull the codes a paper clip will do.
For the know how go to one of these links below:

This is good for the KOEO test:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

This one is good for the KOER test:
http://www.broncodata.com/tech/codes.htm

If you want to practice reading three digit codes with the CEL (MIL) click on this link and read below the video first:
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...truckcodes.flv

You may have an open EGR valve but check your codes first.

Last edited by subford; 10-24-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:58 AM
will try that

Old 12-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I just started getting these symptoms yesterday while out Christmans shopping. At first I thought it may be the transmission or something in the drivetrain like a u-joint or the rear-end. I revved it a little in neutral and it didn't spit or sputter or anything. Like the others, it just seems to be only while under load. This is freaking me the f out!!! I try take good care of my stuff so these kinds of thinks don't happen but....I guess everything fails eventually. Anybody have anything????? Help a brother out here.

Quick Reply: Jerky Ford ;)