Pre-1997 Models

Perfomance mods for 85 302???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfomance mods for 85 302???

Any suggestions for performance mods for my 85 302? dont wanna hurt the engine, or spend a ton of money, but just a couple hundred bucks here or there to wake it up and bring it back to life.

Its a 5.0 with the carb.

failed emmissions miserably, and the carbs been rebuilt a few times, so i wanted to put a new one on and replace the 2 barrel with a 4 barrel.

any suggestions for a 4 barrel carb? that should give me some performance right?

anything else? like an intake filter? etc.?

remember, dont wanna spend a fortune, i dont need top top of the line parts. just looking to wake the truck up a little for a couple hundred bucks if possible. one day i will rebuild the motor and supercharge it or turbo it, etc., but that wont be for at least 5 years.

137,700 miles, 302, carb.

thanks

Old 07-01-2004, 02:21 AM
You'll need a new intake, too. Best bet is to find an older Mustang with a 302 and get the intake/carb off of it, if you don't want to go all the way but still want to `wake the truck up`, then I'd go with a Carter 650 carb. Either that or anything Motorcraft.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info. i dont really know much about carbs so the more info/pics/help the better.

does K&N or anybody make an oiled cotton filter that i could use instead of a stock paper filter?

already have the way to get plenty of air out of the engine (2 high flow cats, x-pipe, 2 magnaflow mufflers, true 2.25" duals all the way out into a HD style exit) but getting air into the engine is still stock as ever

Old 07-12-2004, 06:42 PM
My buddy had the same problem with his '84 F150 with a 302. We put an Edelbrock Performer intake on it with a Holley 650 carb and that gave it alot more power. I would reccomend doing that to yours and a good set of headers would also give you more power. When you put the carb/intake on you can use an open element chrome (chrome = 35rwhp) and a K&N filter.

When you go to rebuild it have a better cam put in it to match your intake/carb and that lil 302 will act more like a V8.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
hrspower

more air in-more air out = HP Try k&n filter if you don't already have one and up grade your exhast system-- improvements can go from fairly inexpensive to obnoxious depending on what improvements you want to make and especially the brand name. Flowmaster has a pretty well priced exhaust system, get into something like borla and your looking at money that you probably don't want to spend!

Old 07-19-2004, 10:33 PM
hrspower

I'm not sure you got my message. I'm new to this site and not used to its jargon (word play). I was saying basically to get a k&n filter and to improve your exhaust system, you can just change mufflers--Flow master is a descent price--- or change the whole exhaust--bolra is the expensive side--hope you get this response!

Old 07-22-2004, 01:35 PM
I got the same truck except 4.9 I6 XLT Explorer Edition

Well I have totally killed the stockness of my truck so if you have any questions about anything let me know. But if I were you I would listen to Fordman from his above post beause I have heard a lot of great results from a edelbrock intake combined with a 4brrl Holly carb, I think thats your best bet, and the Holly might be a little pricey but its totally worth it. Also get rid of you intake helmet if you have one and get an open air filter, preferrably K&N if they make that style. Also to still keep under a tight budget, give your exhaust system a make over. Throw a decent set off Hooker or BBK headers and get an off-road X or H pipe, thats if you can get around the emissions part of it, if not just get an X or H with convertors ( a lot more expensive though). I would prefer an X pipe. I have a one 2 chamber flowmaster with 2 outlets for my dual exhaust and it sounds really nice so either go with a set of 2chamber or 1chamber flowmaster and a set out tail pipes whereever cheapest from and just add tips from your local parts store ( NOTE: dont by cheap tips if you'll kill yourself over rust) Buy a nice set for around $50 or a little cheaper.

Uhmm I cant really think of anything else right now without going over $500-600 so let me know if you have more questions

Old 07-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Should have mentioned i already did up the exhaust.

stock manifolds, but after that i have 2 high flow carsound/magnaflow cats, X-pipe, then 2 14" SI/SO magnaflow mufflers, exiting in HD style tips behind the rear tire. so its true duals all the way back with 2.25" piping.

didn't really gain any power from it, but its probably because nothings been done on the intake side of the motor.

Quick Reply: Perfomance mods for 85 302???