Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > Pre-1997 Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-1997 Models

Old 12-06-2003, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to UrbanCowboy Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanCowboy
MAF or Speed Density

How can I tell if I have Mass Air Flow or Speed Density? I want to get a K&N FIPK but I don't know which I have. I drive a 1995 F150 4.9L I6 fuel injected.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 1994 Ford F 150
Send a message via AIM to MnvlMat
Right after the air box the should be a mass air meter. It has a plug and 4 wires coming out of it.

If it aint there, its speed density.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Ford F150
Look at the intake. If you have 2 separate hoses leading from the throttle body to the air box it's S/D if you have a single hose which is bifurcated at the throttle body end and which leads to an aluminum clyinder mounted on the end of the air box it's MAF. The aluminum cylinder is the mass-air meter.

If you're expecting any real HP gains out of the K&N save your money. The gains from the less restrictive airflow are largely offset by the higher air temperatures. Thry work well on some other models where they provide a high flow cold air intake but on our generation of F150, they mostly add intake noise.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to UrbanCowboy Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanCowboy
Thanks for the info from both of you!
Old 12-07-2003, 06:06 AM

'96 was the only year of MAF with the 4.9L...I've heard rumors some '95's did but I have yet to see one.
Camburg Performance 6" lift, Bilstien 5100's, Braided steel brake lines, Hurst Shifter, K&N FIPK w/cold air induction, Gibson Super Truck Exhaust, Catco Highflow Cat, Dual 14" Electric Fans, 31/10.5/15 BFG All Terrains on AR Atlas 15's,3:31 rear,Black background Euro Tails, Diamond head light lenses, Diamond corners lenses, Clear front turn signal lense, Stull Billet grill, Trenz Billet Antenna, Limo Tint, MSD TFI ignition coil, Pioneer Deck
Rice Haters Club Member #157

My Truck
Old 12-07-2003, 09:53 AM

The 95 CA trucks were allegedlly MAF. Living in CO he could have one since Ford may have lumped the "high altitude" spec tuning inwith the CARB spec,
Old 12-07-2003, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by StrangeRanger
The 95 CA trucks were allegedlly MAF. Living in CO he could have one since Ford may have lumped the "high altitude" spec tuning inwith the CARB spec,
That's made life very frustrating for me because every factory service manual lists specs for a MAF 4.9 for '95 California trucks, but I am yet to see one either. I have to presume that the '94 4.9 California trucks were exactly the same as the '95's because there are no factory manuals for a '95 California 4.9. My '95 4.9 is a California truck, it says so right on the emission label, but it's SD, and was built the end of May, 1995. If any '95 4.9's had MAF, you'd think mine would be one of them, being so far into the production run.

Go figure.

My F-150 Gallery

'95 Eddie Bauer F-150 SC SB / 4.9L / 5spd / 3.55 LS / K&N FIPK w/ Ram Air / JET / Crane / Taylor / Comp Cams / Edelbrock RPM / Hurst / Add-A-Leaf / Bilstein / Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 31x10.5R15's / Auto Meter Sport Comp Vac, Volt, Water, Oil & Fuel PSI / K.C. / Optima Yellow / Alpine / Apple / Toshiba / Boston Acoustics / Polk / Bazooka / And more...
Old 12-07-2003, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 1994 Ford F150
Cool

Well, since you guys are on this topic. Which one is more emission friendly, in that which one over the long haul is better for the emissions that are coming out of the truck? I would have thought that the MAF would be since it is more adaptive to the operation of the engine compared to the speed density that only has specific fuel curves that it follows. If there was something wrong with the engine's operation, I thought the MAF would be better able to correct that problem than the S.D. would. I was rather surprised that California has S.D. instead of MAF, but maybe I am thinking backwards on this.

PRKWUD: Glad to see ya back, how are you doing these days ????

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean
Old 12-07-2003, 12:02 PM

The MAF system may be slightly more emissions friendly on a stock engine but it's unlikely to be significant. TheS/D lookup tables actually allow a fairly wide range of variance from expected values before they puke. The biggest reason for converting to MAF in 96 was probably the requirement for OBD-II. Start modifying things and the range of allowable variance gets progressively smaller as you move closer and closer to the edge of the table.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:02 PM