Was this good gearing advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was this good gearing advice ?

Okay now, I have an F150, 4.6L on order right now. This truck will probably be more "consistently used" than any other truck you are likely to encounter. What I mean by this, is that it will be nearly always be hauling a boat (98% of its miles) however the boat, motor, and trailer are only about 1000 lbs.

I had told the dealer that since I would not likely ever be hauling any big, heavy loads..... or should I say, never anywhere close to the max payload of this truck, that I did not need gearing for tons of torque, but rather, the best gearing for maximum ful mileage. He recommended 3.55's...... and went on to say that 4.10's are the higher torque gears, but lower mileage.

Was this advice correct ?

Thank you,
Fish

Old 05-04-2008, 02:24 PM
For stock tires yes he would be correct. If you are only pulling a boat that weighs 1000 pounds 3.55's would be just fine.

However, since you say you will be using this truck for mainly towing, even though light loads, I would highly recomment 4.10's. Your mileage may go down a bit, however your truck will thank you for it. Your engine, tranny and everything else will have much less strain on it and will most likely last longer in the event that you ever get a new boat that weighs more.

Don't take that the wrong way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 3.55's when pulling small loads like that, your truck will barely know it's back there. I just like to look ahead, cuz you know one day you will want to buy a bigger boat. I know, I'm a fisherman at heart, and every year I keep telling myself I"m gonna buy a new boat, just haven't done it yet.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:38 PM
BSL
I'd say go with the 3.73 gears, it's a compromise between the two and you shouldn't notice much mileage difference from 3.55. I really wish mine had 3.73s and my truck is much lighter than yours

Old 05-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Right on guys.....

I really just wanted to make sure that 3.55's would not give me even "more torque, and less mileage" than 4.10's, as I previously had zero clue about this stuff.

I hear you Rock Crusher. One of my best buddies was saying the same things, pertaining to motors. I ended up going with the 4.6L.... which will be fine for my light little aluminum.... But my buddy was saying, "So dude, what if someday, you get a bigger boat for the bay or something {I often haul my little boat hundreds of miles to all kinds of freshwater lakes, all over Nor Cal}..... So I thought about that for a bit and I thought, "Well hey, if I ever do get a bigger boat for the Delta, and the Bay, the launchramp for those places is only about 5 totally flat miles, from my driveway :-)
My bigger concern then, would be, where to park a bigger boat (because I sure wouldn't ever get rid of my little 14 ft aluminum baby ;-)

Thanks again,
Fish

Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you were planning ahead, not only would you get 4.10's, but you would also get a 5.4.

My V6 tows 3000# fine with 3.55's.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Planning ahead ?

I am ! I'm planning on fishing out of my little 14ft'er for at least 12 or 15 years (until it's flat worn out), then getting another one the same size :-) And if my new F150 lasts that same 12 or 15 years, it will have done its job.
A lot of people just don't seem to understand, my little boat "truly is my freshwater dream boat" ! If somebody were to walk up and "give" me a bigger, faster heavier boat.... I knock half off of the price, just to sell it quick ! I just find those types of boats to be cumbersome gas hogs.

Yes, if I hit the lottery for a bazillion $$$, I'd love to have a 40ft, 5000hp offshore racer, just for kicks.... And maybe a 150 yaught that I could take to Hawaii and back.....
But I'd still do my freshwater fishing out of my 14ft aluminum :-)

BTW, when I became sponsored by Yamaha G3 a couple years ago, after going through all of the initial "what can you do for us" stuff, they said, "Okay, so what boat would you like" ? .....And I told them, "This one" >

.....to which they replied, "That's it" ? You know we will will give you the same {huge} % off of any boat you choose... "Sure I know that. Those bigger, faster, flashier boats just aren't me (nothing against them of course. They are fine boats).
So they were like, "Uhhhh... well okay".

And now I couldn't be happier :-) I talk to, pat on, and rub on my little 14ft baby every time I wealk past it..... even on my work days :-)

Peace,
Fish

Old 05-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't know what gears you have now...but that trailer is pretty light. I'd tow it stock and see how your truck performs...I think it'll be fine.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
I don't know what gears you have now...but that trailer is pretty light. I'd tow it stock and see how your truck performs...I think it'll be fine.
his truck is on order so he doesnt have any gears yet. If you are ever planning to put bigger tires on this truck then 4.10's will love you. And honestly id do 4.10's with the stock tires thats a heavy truck and it would like the gears, your mileage wont be that bad.

3.55 or 3.73 will work fine but id perfer 4.10's

Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
his truck is on order so he doesnt have any gears yet. If you are ever planning to put bigger tires on this truck then 4.10's will love you. And honestly id do 4.10's with the stock tires thats a heavy truck and it would like the gears, your mileage wont be that bad.

3.55 or 3.73 will work fine but id perfer 4.10's
Agree 100% for stock or slightly larger than stock tires

If he plans of any tire larger than 33s, like a 35, I'd go with 4.56...plus a V8

Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
manualf150 has a stock 5 spd running stock tires and 4.10's and hes pulling 2400 RPMS cruising at 68 mph!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:11 AM
BSL
I still say 3.73, but that boat is terrible just give it to me

Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Sorry BSL.....

that's my baby there :-) I promise you, that little boat means as much to me, as any 50K high performance bass boat does, to any of those owners !

Plus, I think it's going to look really good behind my brand new XLT, stone green (actually kind of gold-bronze, if you haven't seen it yet) all blacked out, with Mossy Oak Shadow Grass rocker panels. Whooo Hooo ! :-)

Fish

Old 05-06-2008, 02:20 AM
BSL
I figured as much, well, I still would recommend 3.73 it's the perfect compromise of torque and mileage for a rig of that size. btw that is a great boat, that is what I'll be working for next year, I'm in MN though

Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'd say 3.55's are Do-It-All gears... they are average. Anything under just renders the truck useless. Anything over... well, it will turn it into a TowPig.

Quick Reply: Was this good gearing advice ?