Anyone with problems with auto locking hubs look here.....semi long

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2000, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone with problems with auto locking hubs look here.....semi long

Well here in NC we got dumped on this week with 20 inches of snow and I get into the trusty F-150 and have no 4wd. Seems the auto hubs will not lock in. I call the local Ford dealer to see if there may be something I can do to remedy the problem and he states "There is a known problem with the auto locking hubs" and "Ford has determined a design defect and has made a replacement part for them." Now this is the service manager telling me this. My F-150 only has 63K miles on it and it has only been in 4wd less than 20 times. The only reason I have 4wd is to pull the race car up the hill to my house. He also stated that he couldn't fix it this week because he has had 3 other trucks in for the same problem and is out of parts. Soooo, I guess my question is, how may of you are in the same shape I am in, either had hubs replaced or need them replaced? Other that this and the notorious wiper switch I have had zero problems with the truck, but since I've been to the dealer and heard his story and noticed alot of messages about this situation I was wondering how widespread this hub problem is.

Later days,

Roy.

P.S. I found 3 TSBs on problems with the auto locking hubs also, I know about the more durable manual hubs and am seriously considering installing them.

Old 01-29-2000, 04:48 PM
You didn't state what year, and what equippment your truck is. I have a 89 that had the factory auto hubs. I replaced mine about a week ago, do to it not shifting into 4x4 correctly. One tire never went into 4x4. I ended up with mileMarket manual hubs and so far, havent had any probs.

Old 01-29-2000, 06:15 PM
Cool

I always forget something It's a 1995 F-150 with approx. 63K miles on it. It also has the touch-drive 4X4 activation.

Later days,

Roy.

Old 01-29-2000, 09:43 PM
Awwwww...So you may be in the same boat as me!

If you can get the dealer to replace the hubs for free, more power to ya! I tried to get my local dealer here, to just order in the parts, replacement autos, he wouldn't even order them, stating that Ford didn't make the parts for auto hubs anymore, which is a lie. I guess the auto hubs from ford are cheap, and need to be replaced often. good luck to ya~!

Old 01-30-2000, 01:54 PM
I looked at the availability of manual locking for my 99..reply: not available on the F150 anymore, "we used an all new sysytem?" We hope.

------------------
1999 XLT4X4 SC SB

Old 01-30-2000, 02:10 PM
Cool

Well, I did get the number for Ford Customer Service. My service manager said to contact them about the problem with the hubs. I don't really expect to get the repair for free since I have 63K miles or so on it, but I would settle at least for Ford covering a portion of the repair. I know it probably won't do any good, but I'm going to call first thing Monday just to humor myself. If anyone is interested the number is 1-800-392-3673. He also said to tell them that he, the service manager, advised me to give them a call.....hope it helps

Later days,

Roy.

Old 02-01-2000, 01:02 AM
Cool

Roy, I had the same problem except I knew my hubs were shot back in the summer and didn't fix it because 1) I don't use 4wd much, 2) I'm lazy and, 3) we don't get snow in NC. I contacted 3 local Ford dealerships and they were all out of the parts. I'm going to make the change myself since my dad had to replace his and said it was a simple job.

I busted the first set soon after I got the truck. If I bust another set, I think I'm going to convert to manuals.

Old 02-01-2000, 07:22 AM
manuals are the only way to go. no one makes a really good auto hub.

stihl: we have a system without hubs on the newer trucks. i'm not quite sure how it is designed but i did some checking and found that instead of disconnecting the hubs like older models. our trucks actually disconnect the shaft from the transfer case in order to go in and out of 4wd.
sure hope it lasts because it doesn't seem very easy to fix. although i think some older models of jeep used this system.

Old 02-01-2000, 08:59 AM
97 and on F-150's use a totally different setup. No more locking or unlocking at the hubs. Has half-shaft from each front wheel to diff with 2 CV joints in each, like a FWD car. The disconnect is in the diff, on driving the two half-shafts, and has locking dogs. Activation via vacuum line. Transfer case disconnect of front drive shaft is still there. Automatic hub breakage will be a thing of the past. However, there is more drag when in 2WD. Those front half-shafts with CV's are turning all the time. Ford truck owners will now have to start looking at their CV boots from time to time to make sure they aren't ripped. Ripped boot - grease goes out, grit goes in, $ follow!

Old 02-02-2000, 06:36 PM
Unhappy

I am learning about the vaccum hose set up for the later model 97 and up. I have a 97
extended cab, flairside. When it snowed here in Phila last week I had no 4WD. Tool it to dealer (last month of warranty.) Dealer diagnosed it to be the Vaccum line which can be replaced July 11 which is when they expect the Hose. Tomorrow I go underneath myself, try to trace the hose and go on a nationwide search. This is not the best situation.

------------------

Old 02-03-2000, 08:41 AM
Lightbulb

YOu said you have shift on the fly( button in the dash) when you push the button does the light in the dash light up?
I worked in a froed dealer a few years back and they had a problem with the engagment motor getting stuck if you tap on the motor with a rubber hammer 9 time out of 10 it will fix it. I think ford sent out some notices to dealers to have owners engange system monthly even if you didn't drive it just to keep the eletric motor free'd up.
The motor is located on the transfer case on the rear of the trans.

P.S. if it's not coverd on the warranty be ready for a big bill the motors where around $300 . hope this helps you

------------------
2000 blk xlt f150 sc 4x4 orp pkg 5.4 3.55 ls tow pkg herculiner ,sony 10 disc cd-player A.R.E. cap remote start

Old 02-03-2000, 06:18 PM
Unhappy

Nope, that's not the problem I'm having. The transfere case engages properly and the 4x4 light come on. My problem, according to the service manager is a part in the hub that Ford has redesigned has failed.

Well, I got the news today about the repair....just as I figured would happen and a several of you stated....Ford is not going to help one bit for the repair of a breakdown that they admit to having to redesign a part for....THIS SUCKS! However, I'm not through yet. I still have a couple of options the service manager gave to me. Yea, yea, yea I'm probably beating my head against the wall, but if I'm going to have to pay for the repair then Ford is going to listen to me....at least it'll make me feel a little better......Kinda makes you thing about QUALITY BEING JOB 1......

Later days,

Roy.

Old 02-03-2000, 06:35 PM
sorry i couldnt help you could try getting in touch with the zone rep may be get some sort of a deal.

------------------
2000 blk xlt f150 sc 4x4 orp pkg 5.4 3.55 ls tow pkg herculiner ,sony 10 disc cd-player A.R.E. cap remote start

Old 02-03-2000, 07:19 PM
Cool

How do you go about this? Here, my service manager was no help. He stated that the public can't talk to the zone reps. I told him I didn't think this was true. I know several friends of mine that have talked with GM zone reps, so I don't think that Ford would be any different. I've never had any problem like this before so I don't really know how to go about contacting people. Any help would be apperciated....

Later days,

Roy.

Old 02-04-2000, 07:47 AM
Thumbs down

that not true the zone rep are there to take care of problems that the dealer / customer can't solve . Try asking a sales man that's how i got my phone numbere for the zone rep here. If you push the issue i think he will have to cave if not go to another dealer.

Don't bother the ford customer service number in your owners manule they don't even work for ford they are just a service that's hired to logged the question, kinda like a teleamarketer. that's what the zone rep told me because i had a problem and they won't help you. Good luck

------------------

Quick Reply: Anyone with problems with auto locking hubs look here.....semi long