Flareside owners: Do you use the steps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2000, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flareside owners: Do you use the steps?

Big question for me, while reading another post about Flareside vs. Styleside, someone mentioned that they liked the functionality of the steps on the Flareside for getting things in and out of the bed.

How many others use these steps to get in and out of the bed, or get things in?

I don't use mine and can't begin to imagine what I would do if I saw someone else using them (mine) to get in the bed.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab
Black factory steps
Flareside Sport Package
Oxford White
Full tint
Bug Shield
CD player
17" wheels, K&N
Ford Soft Tonneau Cover
Gibson Super Truck
"Did it myself" Undercoating

Old 01-18-2000, 10:54 PM
Just realized, wrong category sorry guys.

Old 01-18-2000, 11:29 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Thumbs up

Hey, we forgive you on the wrong site deal!!!! I have a Flare 97 ORP I don`t use the steps at all. I can`t step that high. Besides I have a hard cover over the bed anyway(A.R.E.).They are just for l@@ks to me !!!!...Lariat#1

------------------
1997 Red/Silver F150 Lariat Flareside 3 Dr. SC W/ ORP & Tow Package, Complete Lariat Package Option List ,{APPEARANCE}: AVS Carbon Fiber Headlite Covers, Tail Lite Slots & Door Sill Protectors,Owens Fg. Step Boards, Tinted Windows,Ford 2-Piece Bra,20" Chrome Exhaust Tips,A.R.E Bed Cover Lid,Pendaliner Inner Tail Gate Protector,Zie-Bart Total Paint & Under Coating W/ Sounder Deadener Protection, #1 Ford Truck Plate under glass on Front Bumper, {PERFORMANCE}: 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4-Wheel ABS,Platinum 3 Spark Plugs,K&N Air Filter W/ modified stock air box, Tornado Air Man.,WMS Velocity Tube,Dual Exhaust System,Per. Fiction Carbon Mettalic Disc Brake Pads,Goodyear Wrangler A/TS Tires,55 Watt(replacement) Back-up Lites, Pilot 55 watt Back-up Lites on Hitch under truck,Foglites work W/ Brites On , {STEREO}: Stock In-Dash Cass. W/6 Disc Changer & 4 Stock Speakers, {SECURITY}: Ford Security System W/ Motion Alarm All on same Key Fob, This is LARIAT 1... IN The Great State Of Indiana..........http://hometown.aol.com/terrylariat1...page/auto.html A very Proud Member of ...www.f150online.com

Old 01-19-2000, 08:28 AM
I don't have em but they seem like a great place to sit your beer while you are waxing the truck.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

Old 01-19-2000, 09:09 AM
don't step on mine at all. nor does anyone else. one time i had to correct my friend for using them. i do however use them for drink holders now and then

Old 01-19-2000, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use mine when I wash the truck. I have full length running boards so that is my first step and the steps are the second. I also have a ******* hard cover. Once Iwent to a charity car wash and while my back was turned a teen age young man was standing on my hard cover washing the top of the turck. I didn't know if I should laugh or kill him on the spot. I guess the cover is stronger than I thought.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 01-19-2000, 10:09 AM
Thumbs up

I use my steps for cleaning the back window; it's perfect for getting up high enough to get the middle of the window. Otherwise, I don't use it for much.

------------------
'99 F150 SC, 4x2, Oxford white, flareside, 5.4, 3.55 rearend,
bodyside mouldings, Snugtop hard tonneau, K&N dropin and airbox mod.
Duraliner drop-in (gave up on the Penda Nascar). Gibson Supertruck
No door cracks yet at 5K!!!

Future mods: 2/4 lowering, bra and some Roush stuff.

Old 01-19-2000, 11:01 AM
cphilip, don't you worry about your beer slipping off and spilling?

Seriously, I use mine to wash the back window and when I am tying things down to the clips. Other than that they are just for looks.

Has anyone noticed that the GMC and Chevy beds look almost identical to the Flareside. All they did was add an extra crease above the wheel well.

------------------
'98 F-150 XLT SuperCab Flareside, Auto, 4.6L, 4X2, 3.55 rear, 6-CD, Moonlight Blue with tan interior, Captains Chairs, Extang Classic Platinum Tonno, Pendaliner bedliner

Old 01-19-2000, 01:00 PM
Smile

I was more worried about alcohol abuse....you know, abusing it when it spills???

"Their" trucks can only try to follow us while we leave them in the dust. "Their" truck slogan should be "Designing trucks just to try to keep up with the rest"....or is that "the best"?????

Old 01-19-2000, 05:43 PM
Those Shovie "Step Sides" are way fugly!
They have the oldstyle look to them. Boxy.

------------------
99 4x4 XLT supercab 5.4L Flareside, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Med. Graphite w/Captain Chairs, Pioneer DEP-4000, Tint, K&N, Bedliner, 3" Catback w/3 Chamber Flowmaster, 285/75/16 BFG A/T on American Racing Python wheels, Stull Billet Grill, Clear Corner Lenses.

'00 Expedition XLT, Silver w/Dark graphite interior, 5.4L, Stull Billet Grill and some other stuff. All in all she'll stay stock. Ok, maybe a Flowmaster 50 series soon.

Old 01-19-2000, 06:05 PM
Those steps are amazing, they defie all logic. I had been working one day and had put some bolts on the step. I had to drive out to the stereo shop, and forgot them. I drove 10 miles there, and 10 back, got home, and they were still there..... WOW LOL

Old 01-19-2000, 07:42 PM
Suspended User
Smile

I have to agree with cphilip-best beer holder in the whole truck. To get in the bed I usually put my tailgate down and climb in so I don't scratch anything(this way I only step on the Rhino liner). And to wash the high part of the truck I stand on the edge of the bed at the back window. This area is also covered by the Rhino liner so it's not slippery when wet. So I guess I bought the flareside for the looks.
And about those shovie beds-have you looked inside the bed?(I know,don't get too close or the UGLIES might get on you while looking). No where near the room we have inside. They are still square inside like the old style.

Old 01-19-2000, 07:46 PM
My truck barely fits in the garage (bumpers nearly touch the front wall and the garage door at the same time). Before I got my lid, I must admit that I had to use the step to climb through the bed to get to the other side of the garage.

------------------
2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/

Old 01-19-2000, 10:49 PM
Only use them to reach stuff that has slid to the middle of the tool box. They are very sturdy. My size 11's don't fit on them well though. Also use them for a seat every once in a while.

------------------
99.5 4x4 S/C Lariat, ORP, Flairside,5.4l 3.73 rear, oxford white, 4 wheel disc, 4 wheel ABS,factory nerf bars, 6 disc changer, keyless entry

To mod or not to mod....that is the question!

Old 01-20-2000, 12:22 AM
I worry about beer spilling any time I have one.

You know the old saying: "Don't drink and drive... you might spill your drink!"

Quick Reply: Flareside owners: Do you use the steps?