what is the best looking and sounding single din HU??!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the best looking and sounding single din HU??!!

hi all, this is my first post other then the lightning forums
i was just wondering what you guys ( and gals ) think the best looking and sounding single din HU is for the lightning?
i really want it to match the factory green int. lights
any help would be great thanks

Old 01-03-2002, 01:05 AM
Nakamichi CD45z

Love mine, great sound, but it doesn't have all the flashy graphics and stuff so if that's important to you keep looking. Specs @ www.nakamichiusa.com/ I paid about $300 installed.
Jim A

Old 01-03-2002, 01:15 AM
I say i think my kenwood excelon X-917 looks good and sounds great. ITs an awsome cd player. As for others that look good and sound good the best would probibly be Alpine they from what i hear make the best hu's . There are other cd players that are good though panasonic,jvc, and pioneer. I would say stay away from sony it will not match the green lighting its red and flashy. It doesn't look too bad but there are better cd players out there

Hope this helps
Syeth

Old 01-03-2002, 01:16 AM
Or you could get a CD700
also available with green backlight. Of course the best price I could find for it was $1400 plus shipping with no warranty. If you buy a Nak from an authorized dealer there is a one year warranty if they install it three years.
FYI
Jim A

Old 01-03-2002, 04:01 PM
THE KENWOOD KDC-316s IS AN AWESOME SOUNDING CD PLAYER. AND IT HAS GREEN BACKLIGHTING TOO. (SORRY NO PICTURE.) I JUST PUT ONE IN MY TRUCK AND IT SOUNDS KILLER. NEVER SKIPS, LOOKS GREAT... ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT. NO COMPLAINTS HERE.

Old 01-03-2002, 07:45 PM
I have to throw my opinion in the ring. The Pioneer DEHP9300 has to be one of the hottest looking units on the market right now. The display and the sound quality is second to none(this is not a claim that it is the be all-end all of car audio). I will agree with Jim A that the Nak is one of the better units out there for SQ, always has been and probably always will be.

Old 01-03-2002, 08:59 PM
I second the above.

What 12Vrep said.

Last edited by RAM AIR; 01-12-2002 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:37 PM
I have to agree about Sony...

My wife gave me the Sony CDX-CA650X head unit for Christmas. Now, I'm not complaining about anything, mind you, because life is so much better now without the stock head unit (TAPE, no CD). But, I have to agree about the looks. I've seen a few other installations, and, I have to say, some of the most uniform (and by that, I mean that the head unit doesn't look too much out of place) are Nakamichi and Alpine Head Units. The Pioneer HUs are nice, and the lack of polished aluminum helps them blend into the dash a bit better, but, the flashiness of the display is a little overdone on the higher end units IMHO. Not to say I'd turn one down, but, that's just the way I see it.

As for sound, I have to say, with the stock speakers still in at all four points (I never got around to replacing htem like I wanted to) the sound is much improved. Granted, CDs play much better than tapes, but, comparing FM reception to reception is still no contest, the Bass is deeper, more pronounced (comparing flat EQ and balance to same), the Highs are a little brighter, and much higher volumes can be achieved without the sound going all to h*ll. I can't wait to hear the system with some decent, efficient, co-axial or three way (still haven't made up my mind, currently, I leaning to the Polk EX3 6X8s for the tweeter aiming abilities and extra felt area over the DX7s) speakers. Should be more than enough for my uses. All in all, almost any aftermarket head unit from a reputable company, that has decent power, will completely blow away the stock radio, hands down, with no other components replaced.

Old 01-09-2002, 09:57 PM
thanks for all your input guys
but i made up my mind and bought a kenwood kdc-9017 i think it looks cool and has all the power i think i will need for a head unit now i have polk dx7 speakers in my truck and am thinking about subs, amps, and other after market chit.
thanks
josh

Old 01-09-2002, 10:07 PM
I will have to agree with the Pioneer DEH 9300 series guys, I have a DEH 1100 i got a year and a half ago and love it, i might get me a 9300 one of thesedays. By the way ram air you have an awesome set up!

Old 01-09-2002, 10:45 PM
I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT YOU GOT A KENWOOD HEAD UNIT SVTMAGNUS. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED. KENWOOD IS ONE OF THE BEST CD PLAYERS THAT MONEY CAN BUY. IMHO.

Old 01-12-2002, 06:14 PM
What about this Pioneer.......

Hey guys do you think this would look good with the Lightning Interior? The green back lights look the same and it looks great!!! What do you think.....

UBNSTRUK

Old 01-12-2002, 07:04 PM
LLoverCrazyJay,

Thanks dude.

Old 01-13-2002, 09:07 PM

I think this is a nice clean looking head unit

Jim

Old 01-14-2002, 12:43 AM
i personally think that alpine's are the best for the money. they have so many features for setting your sound just rite. i have a kenwood 9017 in my truck, and i love it, but you get tired of the movies on it, better if you could put your own in, but oh well. the alpine has so many features on it that lets you control every aspect of the sound. but the downfall to the alpine is that the face doesn't flip around. that is why i went with the kenwood. it sure looks slick when it spins around and the black goes rite in witht he kit and the dash. looks damn nice.

Quick Reply: what is the best looking and sounding single din HU??!!