New AVIC-F700BT Installation Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New AVIC-F700BT Installation Tips Needed

As you may have guessed, I have just purchased a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT. As you may have also guess, I am to particular to let anyone else install it. So I am looking for a little help from those in the Know.

With the unit, I also purchased a wiring harness to plug it into the existing connector and the iPod adapter. The guy at the store told me that in addition to the standard stuff that is covered in the harness, I would also need to find and connect to the speedometer wire, the e-brake wire, and a reverse wire for the back up camera (to be added later).

I have read several threads on how to by-pass some of these. I was hoping someone might know how to actually find the correct wires for this. Since the until doesn't have a DVD player, I can't think of a reason to by pass any of these features. Any thoughts on that?

For the treads that do talk about by-passing, I sure could use some more detail or maybe even a picture or two.

Lastly, it looks like some of you have place the GPS antenna up on the dash in the general area of the defroster vents. I was thinking of that before I saw that some of you did it. Any problems with that location?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Originally Posted by Gettin By
As you may have guessed, I have just purchased a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT. As you may have also guess, I am to particular to let anyone else install it. So I am looking for a little help from those in the Know.

With the unit, I also purchased a wiring harness to plug it into the existing connector and the iPod adapter. The guy at the store told me that in addition to the standard stuff that is covered in the harness, I would also need to find and connect to the speedometer wire, the e-brake wire, and a reverse wire for the back up camera (to be added later).

I have read several threads on how to by-pass some of these. I was hoping someone might know how to actually find the correct wires for this. Since the until doesn't have a DVD player, I can't think of a reason to by pass any of these features. Any thoughts on that?

For the treads that do talk about by-passing, I sure could use some more detail or maybe even a picture or two.

Lastly, it looks like some of you have place the GPS antenna up on the dash in the general area of the defroster vents. I was thinking of that before I saw that some of you did it. Any problems with that location?
First, welcome.

Second, thanks for looking and trying to help yourself before asking.

The bypass will allow you to do many things while in motion, watch your ipod videos, setup many functions and use the nav while driving. In order to do this, Remove the mute wire (yellow/black) from its slot (pull up on the plastic tab) and insert on the bottom row in between the black wires (pin 4 from the left). Then connect this wire to ground (thick black wire) as well as grounding the lt. Grn pk brake wire.

The best place for the GPS antenna is on the top of the U shaped bracket you will find when you remove the radio. (this is a 2004-2008 correct?!?)

Did you buy the iPod cable with the USB end and A/V RCA's? If not, you have the wrong cable.

And did you get the dash kit (MET 95-5807 or 95-5812)?

Did you get the antenna adapter (MET 40CR10)? (Only needed if it is a 06+)

Connect the VSS wire (Pink) to the Gray/Black wire at the Radio harness.

Connect the Reverse wire (Violet/White) to the Black/Pink wire low in the DKP. Only Black/Pink that goes through a circular grommet underneath the cab on the driver floorboard.

Try all that, if you have any other questions just let me know.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Post some pictures when you're done! I'm looking at hopefully picking up a F90BT very soon.

edit: and I don't think the F700BT has a VSS wire.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have installed the F90BT in my superduty. If you hit any speedbumps, let me know and I'll help you through it.

Get familiar with www.avic411.com as there are a bunch of hacks and a lot of info on the site.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks to each of you that have replied. I will begin the process after Thanksgiving, when I don't need to drive anywhere for a day or two. I will document it as best I can and get the results posted.

If anyone else has any tips or tricks, don't be sacred to pass them along.

Thanks!!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Low e Red,
Thanks for all the information. That is awesome and I really appreciate it.
Would you mind adding a little clarification to the "...Then connect this wire to ground (thick black wire) as well as grounding the lt. Grn pk brake wire." step. Which wire is "this wire"? Also, am I correct in assuming "lt Grn" is the Light Green Parking Brake wire, which is on the back of the unit? This wire can simply be connected to any ground, correct?
Lastly, DKP = Driver side Kick Panel?
As you can see, I am still learning the lingo.

I did get the Pioneer iPod cable with the A/V RCA and USB connectors. Also, I purchased the trim kit, wiring harness adapter and anntena adapter from Chrutchfield so I should be good to go there.

I failed to include the truck specs in the first post so there they are:
2006 F150 Super Cab; Lariat; 5.4L

Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Low e Red,
Thanks for all the information. That is awesome and I really appreciate it.
Would you mind adding a little clarification to the "...Then connect this wire to ground (thick black wire) as well as grounding the lt. Grn pk brake wire." step. Which wire is "this wire"? Also, am I correct in assuming "lt Grn" is the Light Green Parking Brake wire, which is on the back of the unit? This wire can simply be connected to any ground, correct?
Lastly, DKP = Driver side Kick Panel?
As you can see, I am still learning the lingo.

I did get the Pioneer iPod cable with the A/V RCA and USB connectors. Also, I purchased the trim kit, wiring harness adapter and anntena adapter from Chrutchfield so I should be good to go there.

I failed to include the truck specs in the first post so there they are:
2006 F150 Super Cab; Lariat; 5.4L
Do not worry about the VSS wire. It is not necessary.
There is a software bypass out now if you do not want to do the wire swap. All of the info is on www.avic411.com (site appears down at the moment, but I was on there earlier today)
Here are pictures for the bypass via mute wire:

move yellow/black wire from here:

to here, and ground the wire you moved:

Keep checking back on the website listed. There are a bunch of good hacks out, but some have been made obsolete via update 2.0 from pioneer. Some cool ones include replacing the arrow in Nav mode with a pic of your vehicle, new voices, speed traps/cameras as POI on map, etc.

If you want to run HD radio, make sure you get a splitter for your antenna as the MSN Direct service will not work if the unit doesn't have an antenna connection. Save the time if you are going this route and by the splitter from HIFI Sound Connection for about $5.

Let me know if you need anything......

Last edited by zbornac; 11-19-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: clarified post
Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 PM
If you can, return this item and get this:
http://www.applestore.com/us/product...Q&mco=Nzg0OTc5

A lot of the cables available, including the Pioneer, have a tendency to randomly loose their connection. Just annoying to have to unplug and replug your ipod. No one has complained about the Apple unit and it comes highly praised by all. Just trying to save you some headache up front.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 AM
zbornac,
Thank you again very much for instructions and the photos. Your time and effort are very much appreciated.
Not that it matters so much, but what exactly am I by-passing when I move the mute wire to the new pin location and then connect it to ground?
As for the speed sensing wire, it seems easy enough to connect it to the gray/black wire so I will go ahead and hook it up.
I have been looking at the avic411 site, and need to get more familiar with it. Nice tip on pointing me to it.
Lastly, thank you for the tip on picking up the iPod connector from the Apple Store. I had read that people were having trouble with their iPods losing connection to the unit. I had figured it was the unit not the cable. Like you said, people are praising the Apple cable, so why not give it a try? Any less headache is a good thing!!

Regards...

Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 PM
www.avic411.com. This will help you more than a lot.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 PM
doing the bypass allows functionality while driving that would otherwise be limited to when the parking brake is applied. This includes watching video, viewing the backup camera while driving, and I think you are restricted from making navigational changes without the bypass.....

Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Yep all those things are not able to be used while driving unless the unit is bypassed. I bypassed mine and wouldn't have it any other way simply for use of the navigation features.

I just installed mine last Thursday; everything went together perfectly in about 2 1/2 hours. Pioneer does not include a VSS wire with the AVIC-F700BT units; only the 900BT and the 90BT have the VSS wire in the harness. I always thought the VSS wire was used for dead reckoning when there is no satellite signal but I guess I'm wrong. Maybe it just has to do with watching movies while moving.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 PM
this question is for low e red. i have a 06 supercrew with a avic d3 and was wondering if the vss wire was connection is the same (GREY/BLACK) please let me know , thanks

Old 11-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by 08FX4
Yep all those things are not able to be used while driving unless the unit is bypassed. I bypassed mine and wouldn't have it any other way simply for use of the navigation features.

I just installed mine last Thursday; everything went together perfectly in about 2 1/2 hours. Pioneer does not include a VSS wire with the AVIC-F700BT units; only the 900BT and the 90BT have the VSS wire in the harness. I always thought the VSS wire was used for dead reckoning when there is no satellite signal but I guess I'm wrong. Maybe it just has to do with watching movies while moving.
Yes, it does have to do with the dead reckoning. The internal gyros handle the video lockout.

Originally Posted by seclineman
this question is for low e red. i have a 06 supercrew with a avic d3 and was wondering if the vss wire was connection is the same (GREY/BLACK) please let me know , thanks
Yep, sure is. It will be located at pin 14.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:56 AM
[
Did you get the antenna adapter (MET 40CR10)? (Only needed if it is a 06+)

Try all that, if you have any other questions just let me know.[/QUOTE]

I too am waiting for my unit to arrive. I was surprised by the mention of this adapter? Is the pioneer set up with a Chrysler antennae connection? I have an '06 and have an Alpine in there now, and it had the standard antennae? What am I missing here?

Quick Reply: New AVIC-F700BT Installation Tips Needed