Lincoln Blackwood & Mark LT

Towing 4 flat behind Motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 4 flat behind Motorhome

Hi! This is my first post on this site. I have a 2007 Lincoln Mark LT that we want to tow behind our MH. I have the tow adapter already on for a tow bar.. My question is.. I was told that I can just pull the rear drive shaft and tow it like that. Plug the hole obviously in the transfer case... I did that for a couple short trips. But... now I am told that I may need to pull the front driveshaft as well? I've never pulled that one. My question is... is there an easier way to do this? I know they have quick disconnects for the rear shaft (Drive shaft Kings in Dallas installs them) but ...do I need to pull the front one? and if so how? Will I need to plug that hole, too? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanx in advance!

Ken

Old 10-12-2016, 06:08 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2007.pdf

No go, period. You should have done the proper research before you invested in the equipment.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Don't the front wheels turn freely if you aren't in 4x4?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Not sure? I know that if I put it in Neutral and disconnect the driveshaft I can tow it but I wasn't taking into acct the front driveshaft. Does it also go into neutral? And if not is it spinning? And maybe damaging the gear box/tranny?

I can't believe that no one has towed this model of truck before?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by glc
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2007.pdf

No go, period. You should have done the proper research before you invested in the equipment.
Hhhm...this guide doesn't say it can't be towed..it just shows it's not on the list. Etrailer says it can be towed but the front and rear drive shafts need to be disconnected

http://www.etrailer.com/question-155891.html?fb=yes

I'm only asking if anyone has towed one before and what they did to do it?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:13 AM
glc
The ONLY way you can safely do it is with both driveshafts disconnected. That's pretty much standard procedure with all ESOF 4wd and full-time AWD systems unless the transfer case has a Neutral selection. If it does have a Neutral, the driveshafts can be left connected and the transmission has to be in Park. I don't think any of the Fords have a transfer case with Neutral except the ones with the lever sticking out of the floor.

The owner's manual says if you need to tow it, it should be towed with all 4 wheels up - like on a flatbed. The 2wd model can be towed with the front wheels on the ground and rear wheels up.

Don't the front wheels turn freely if you aren't in 4x4?
With no vacuum, the IWE"s are engaged. Vacuum disengages them for 2wd operation.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:33 AM
So here is what I've decided to do.... disconnect the front driveshaft and only use it in 2wd. Then when I tow...disconnect the rear shaft and tie it up. If I know I will need the 4wd I will put the front driveshaft back in. I've had this truck for 2 years now and have only used the 4wd a few times. Otherwise I drive it in 2WD most of the time

Old 10-16-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
With no vacuum, the IWE"s are engaged. Vacuum disengages them for 2wd operation.
So every time the engine is turned off, the IWE's engage and every time the engine is started the IWE's disengage? Sounds like a really dumb design to me. Makes more sense to me for it to be the other way around, vacuum to engage when switched on. Should be an easy way to get around disengaging when the throttle is floored and the vacuum goes away.

Are all the 4x4 trucks from 04 and up built this way?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On the '15 there is an electronic way to put the transfer case into neutral by rotating the **** 5 times. I'm not sure about the 2007?
I have not tried to make my transfer case shift to neutral, nor do I tow my truck.
General Rule: If in doubt, pull the shafts.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 AM
glc
Originally Posted by Roadie
So every time the engine is turned off, the IWE's engage and every time the engine is started the IWE's disengage? Sounds like a really dumb design to me. Makes more sense to me for it to be the other way around, vacuum to engage when switched on. Should be an easy way to get around disengaging when the throttle is floored and the vacuum goes away.

Are all the 4x4 trucks from 04 and up built this way?
Correct.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...then-some.html

Quick Reply: Towing 4 flat behind Motorhome